Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Shaky breakroom 1/24 to 1/30

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Shaky breakroom 1/24 to 1/30

Let me open the break room with:
7.1 EQ. Rude awakening at 1:30 AM by a good sized quake about 200 miles to the south east. Had some stuff fall over and some appliances move. No damage we could find. Anchorage was closer and had more stuff fall off shelves. The Kenia area had some road and structural damage, but they where a lot closer. Power outages where sporadic across south central AK. No reported injuries as yet.
A scorcher, up to 38°.
So, how you guys and gals doing?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My Niece in Anchorage told me it was the strongest she had felt. Today I'm planning on cleaning up the stuff that got messy with the snow. The tractor is in the shop now getting thawed. Guess I'll go mop up the puddles......
Old 01-24-2016, 11:53 AM

They are about 50 miles closer and it was quite a good ride here. Trying to clear the water of rust and silt. It is pretty orange.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:27 PM

Structural fires in Kenai from broken gas mains. Finally got a hold of someone from work. They got it pretty hard is some areas. Want to have someone check the hangar that's close by. Not sure of the roads between here and there yet.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:36 PM

I have only felt one good sized quake and that was in Korea. It really got my attention! Good Luck to all involved!
Old 01-24-2016, 06:15 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Growing up in Northern California I am no stranger to quakes...hope everyone is OK
Old 01-25-2016, 10:45 AM

As far as I know, no one was seriously hurt or killed. Other than the houses that got torched, there was only minor property damage. I grew up in the coastal mountains south of SF near where the Corralitos quake happened. We lived on the west edge of the San Andreas fault and had a beautiful view all the way to the bottom.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:48 PM

The talk today was how close we are to the New Madrid. You guys make me want to move back by Yellowstone so all I have to worry about is a caldera!

Dropped the Taurus off at the body shop today. The other guy's insurance finally decided to come through. They were balking at the for price of a new rim. No tire, just rim. $900. I told the body shop I want the old one even if I have to pay the core.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Growing up in Northern California I am no stranger to quakes...hope everyone is OK
Likewise Southern Cal (LA basin) and San Joaquin Valley up against the Sierras. We were only a few miles for San Andreas fault and got a lot. One slammed me into the corner of a protruding wall in my bedroom in the middle of the night, came out of my room with blood running out of my mouth to my parents room. House was creaking really bad and could here the fireplace coming down - - dad ran to the front door and ended up butt first in a big barrel chair. Grabbed him, lifted him up and carried him out the front door and into yard only to have the front porch fall down behind us. Scarry. Oldest son went to LA for business trip - - I teased him he had to be in a quake so he could be like his dad. He was - - middle of the night in motel - - slammed him into wall corner and busted his mouth all up. All I got was "thanks a lot dad." LOL We still laugh at that one.

Hope all are OK in AK. Not fun. Where is the ph00? Oh well, too late now. I will pass and hopefully see ya tomorrow - - been buried.

Bob
Old 01-25-2016, 07:17 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Been thinking of pulling the fiver up to Alaska. How many days should I plan for from Edmonton to Glenallen, assuming we're touring, not hurrying.

I figure about 3 days from MN to Kalispell, then 1 day to Edmonton.

Fiver, you've been there, haven't you?
Old 01-26-2016, 07:07 AM

A late good morning to the gang. Put fresh ph00 and coffee on along with some fresh Dunkin donuts. Enjoy..........................

Weather still is not Florida around here. Did spend some time in the bathing suit in the lanai yesterday to touch up my tan, but certainly not normal weather. It is Jan, but still not normal. More clouds coming in today and some rough winds and rain tomorrow.

Originally Posted by j_martin
Been thinking of pulling the fiver up to Alaska. How many days should I plan for from Edmonton to Glenallen, assuming we're touring, not hurrying.

I figure about 3 days from MN to Kalispell, then 1 day to Edmonton.

Fiver, you've been there, haven't you?
Have I been there - - OH YEH. Couple times all the way from Florida. The trip you are questioning is total distance of 1766 miles using the Alaska Highway. I assumed driving at a slower pace, start at 8am, stop every two hours for 15 minutes, end at 5pm. Using the Alaska highway and not stopping at every wonderful gorgeous place along the way, driving time is 4 days. The earlier you start, the worse the bad spots in the road. All depends on how bad the winter was how many frost heaves you will come to. Any time after June 1, most areas will be patched or at least marked to slow down. All told, the road is pretty good. The worst part was the last day before hitting TOK. I highly recommend allowing for some amazing overnight spots along the way. PM me if you want more specifics. Check my pictures - - there several in there of our trips.

Gotta run - - dentist this morning. GGGRRRR
Old 01-26-2016, 02:53 PM

Just got back from taking DW for an echocardiogram. White knuckled through some snow squalls. Left windshield washer jet froze up on the way. The ticker was jumping pretty good at first. Told the tech what happened and just let her rest a few minutes. Was better after that.

That's almost as bad as the oft told story of crashing on the way to the hospital for a childbirth.

Anyway, haven't gotten the results back yet, but DW says it looked a lot better to her than the one they did in emergency mode.

Looked good enough that we bought an inverter for the camper on the way home.

Met with an integrated medicine doctor yesterday. Difference is the establishment doctors use patent(ed) medicine to treat symptoms or control the disease. The disease isn't cured, only managed. Integrated does that as a crisis intervention step, but goes further to look for underlying problems. In this case it could be environment, diet, a pathogen of some kind like lyme bacteria, hereditary, or a combination. Most often the disease is cured, or at least stopped from progressing.

This guy is no quack. He has better instrumentation for measuring vascular condition than the hospital. He's a pioneer in using oncoblot, a cancer screening blood test that can find a cancer years before any other method can, and identify the base tissue involved.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:56 AM

HEY, no ph00, no coffee - - where is everyone? Y'all busy too? It's not fun being so busy, and no ph00 to help. b00, no ph00. OK, it's on along with a pot of the boring stuff. Come get it and say hi.

LTR Gator.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:06 PM

Hi.......Slurp......bye
Old 01-27-2016, 02:35 PM

Hi! Bye! Back to work and I just got home......Phooey!

Quick Reply: Shaky breakroom 1/24 to 1/30