Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Settle a Debate - Shoot the Dog or Have Him Put to Sleep

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Regardless of how you do it, your still gonna have to deal with your wife, enough said.

Best of luck to you on this one Hoss,

Tim
Old 08-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those of you that have had to put one down yourself, is it messy? I'm picturing exploded heads and such.

By the way, I tend to agree with whoever said it was your responsibility to take care of it if it was your dog. That's sort of the way I was raised, and although I never put a dog down I've seen my grandfather lead animals out several times only to hear a single gunshot and see him come back alone. He never liked it, but he knew it had to be done.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its a gunshot to the head some times its worse than others just take the collar off first so when its over you just walk away and dont have to take it off and be all sad about your pal being gone.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife and I have come to an agreement. If its her pet, the vet puts it to sleep. Mine or the kids, and I put em down. You ever try to bury a pet in permafrost? I stacked rocks for two hours until she was satisfied no critter could get at the cat.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:10 PM

we just can't do it, especially around here. most of the dogs in our area are used for waterfowl hunting, those dogs are like children to us and brothers or sisters to the children. they are a part of the family, they sleep with the kids, go to work with us and everything. there is too much risk in shooting a dog too. something might happen and you end up not killing it in one shot then its laying there with a gun shot wound and suffering the most its ever been. just put them to sleep, quick and painless.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:01 PM
DTR Mom

Wink eek! a woman who shoots her dogs...

don't know how that will help ya HOSS, but don't put me in the middle of it LOL!
(24 years with the same guy! we argue about tools and how to build something..)

26 years of dog rescue; profession use or pets. when it became medically
necessary or quality of life, the vet here in central New york charges 50 bucks
and will keep or release the body as you wish. (taken em all and buried).

on the farm, I shot the working dogs, every bit the pets, but just a way of life. missed a mauled kitten one time with a .22 and felt so bad (had to end up submarining her), never got over that. so I have to vote for the
way you live, practicality. say goodbye- kind, hugs and let someone tough do the job. yes, vets cannot use the instant heart stop method (atropine)
prohibited with paperwork, cost and unethical per PETA. go figure.
true as Alpine Ram said. you are suffocating them for their last breath.
information is the best determinator. God bless!
Heidi in ny
Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
For those of you that have had to put one down yourself, is it messy? I'm picturing exploded heads and such.

By the way, I tend to agree with whoever said it was your responsibility to take care of it if it was your dog. That's sort of the way I was raised, and although I never put a dog down I've seen my grandfather lead animals out several times only to hear a single gunshot and see him come back alone. He never liked it, but he knew it had to be done.
Depends what you use. A 22 to the temple wont make much of a mess.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:05 PM

Out vet charges $60 to come out and put a horse down.

The only requirement is to have proper disposal ready ahead of time. Either burning or buried but not left to lie.

I say vet. Just because it's different from a deer that you would eat.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:58 PM

i know the dog hates to go to the vet so i figure doing it at home yourself is part of the responsibilities of the friendship i have with my dogs. i have put down my own dog a good ten years ago and can still feel it . would do it again . just because i didn't like it doesn't release me from my responsibilities. just my thoughts. when i get to old to be anygood i hope my wife hires some dead eye to take care of me and bury me on the farm. i will repeat myself "when i get old"
Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Jeezus! This is the worst thread I have seen on this site...disgusting.

Whats next, "My______ is sick, should I take ______ to the doctor? Or should I just shoot _____ in the back forty? Fill in the blanks with wife, daughter, son, mother, father etc.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm with Farmer 0 1...

If I have an animal that freaks out and is scared being hauled to the vet, then I would do it myself. Yeah, it's tough, but if it's an animal I care about, I'd rather the animal's last moments be in a comfortable and familiar place.

On the other hand, if I happened to already have a pet in at the vet when it gets diagnosed with something that will be fatal and painful, I'd prefer the vet put it down.

The last cat I had put down, they used a heavy dose of painkiller, followed by a second shot that stopped the heart instantly.

The animal control officer told me they have drugs to do that, but they aren't allowed to be taken from the building. I don't know if that applies to vets, too.

Hunting rifles at close range will make a big mess. Handgun cartridges or rim fire won't make as much of a mess, but be careful with shot placement to get the instant, shut off like a switch, painless result...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:31 AM

Robert H. Heinlien once said through his character Lazarus Long "When the need arises---and it does---you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out---that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse."

It doesn't have to do with being soft, it has to do with taking responsibility for doing your own duties in life.

As to how, well, putting the animal down with either a bullet or IV meds is fast and clean. Anyone who experiences a long drawn out kill, didn't do it right. Know your anatomy, and show the animal some respect by making it quick.
If a bullet is out of the question, at least have the courage to hold the animal, while the vet places the IV, and push the med yourself. You are supposed to be doing this animal a favor, hold him in his last seconds, and do the job yourself.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 AM

I have killed several pets over the years with a knife 10 seconds there dead no different than archery hunting they dont know what happened. Im a terrible shot and I never get get proper shot placement with a 22. my dad shot a sick goat one time took three shots and never killed it we finally got it killed but 10 years later it still bugs me when I think about the suffering that pour goat went through . For me I have found that a 20 gauge slug or buckshot in the head works the best. even when your your upset and shaking the animal gets immedat death, it makes a mess but your pet does not suffer and for me Id rather clean a mess up than ever watch another animal suffer like that goat did. what im trying to say is taked it to the vet unless your totaly positive you can handle a misplaced shot without freaking out. because things happen.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 AM

Bring it to the vet. I wouldn't disfigure the pet for the sake of money.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:19 AM

Truthfully, sometimes putting them down is the easy part.

Some years back we had our homebred stud colt colic - bad, in the evening (of course). Vet came right out, did all she could and we loaded him for the long ride to the surgical clinic, with IV feeding him banamine and a mild sedative for the trip. I rode in the trailer with him to make sure he didn't go down. Got him to the surgery, and they did their testing and told us it would be $2600 to open him up - and then up from there. We didn't have the money, even if we'd combined three cards, plus this colt was NOT a good candidate for recovery after abdominal surgery - he was too busy, too antsy, too full of life. We had to tell them to end his suffering there.

My big, tough, crusty bugger of a hubby led his baby boy out behind the clinic and they put him down there. Poor guy cried all the way home and still has not gotten over it. I believe he loved that horse more than he did me. He shot his old heeler dog after she had a series of strokes and was so out of it and could not longer stand or walk two steps - and that bothered him, but nothing like the colt.

So, it's an individual thing - rather than haul that dog to the vet, which she would have hated, and fought against, he put her down in her own yard, by his own hand, and buried her there. We tried to save the colt's life - he was only 16 months and so full of promise - but it didn't work out for him. We have buried beloved old horses for other people, too - better than sending their good old friend to the renderers. It's just **** tough when you have an attachment to your critters.

Quick Reply: Settle a Debate - Shoot the Dog or Have Him Put to Sleep