Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Selling my Ram - Suggestions on 1/2 ton

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling my Ram - Suggestions on 1/2 ton

Hello all-
I am hoping my travel trailer sells by this summer. After it sells I will not need my Ram as I only tow a light sailboat (3000#) and if I tow anything in the future it will not be more than 5000#. So I put an ad for sale on my rig and a buyer looked at it yesterday. I think it will be sold by weeks end. Didn't want to wait until trailer sells, as the longer time goes by the more miles truck will have and price will drop. I figure first to sell is what should go first.

So....................
I will need a tow vehicle with 1/2 ton capacity. Don't need a truck per se, but here is my list of possibilities. No particular order.

1. Toyota Tundra 5.7L 2007 or later or new
2. Ford F-150 XLT crew cab V8
3. Chevy 1500 crew cab V8
4. Yukon
5. Expedition
6. ?????

What are your thoughts on my selections? Pros/Cons on each. New or used?

Thanks!!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you looking to buy brand new or used?

I test drove a new Dodge (not Hemi) with a V8 and auto. It seems pretty nice. I would consider one if I didn't need my truck.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 PM

Why would you sell your 05 when diesel is 20 cents cheaper, gets the same if not better mileage than the others, and you have all the power there when you do need it. There will come another time when you wished you had a 2500 and a truck that can tow 20k. Oh, and your mileage is gonna go to hell on those few trips that you do tow. 14mph with the Dodge, 10 with anyone of the others when towing. Plus, if you did buy new, you have that long drawn out payment to make when your 05 is probably paid down a little????

Last edited by dslpwr81; 06-15-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 PM

I'm just concerned that down the road when something goes wrong with truck it will be very expensive to repair (diesel); much more so than a gas engine. My truck currently has 71,000 miles.

I'm thinking repairs such as injectors, turbo, intercooler (I have plastic tanks), etc.

Also, I will need to do a little more day driving in my new assignment at work. Putting more miles on truck.

Thoughts?
Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by BAJA MAN
I'm just concerned that down the road when something goes wrong with truck it will be very expensive to repair (diesel); much more so than a gas engine. My truck currently has 71,000 miles.

I'm thinking repairs such as injectors, turbo, intercooler (I have plastic tanks), etc.

Also, I will need to do a little more day driving in my new assignment at work. Putting more miles on truck.

Thoughts?
Well, I agree repairs are more expensive. But, the main issue with these trucks are the injectors. Put a real fuel filtration system on it and don’t worry about it. A good fuel filtration system is a heck of a lot cheaper than injectors. Plus, you have another 30k before you have to worry about injectors as far as warranty is concerned. As far as turbo and intercooler, they'll go for ever. Usually the guys that are blowing the plastic ends are putting a little more boost to the head. That turbo will go for 300k along with the motor. Besides the two main issues with these trucks, ball joints and injectors, your good to go. Once your ball joints head south, put some good ones in there. Moog, Carli.... etc.. You barely have any mileage on the truck, prob gets good mileage, and that motor will way out last those others. Give it more thought before you loose a truck that has more power, better mileage, will out last the others, cheaper diesel, etc.... Fix the two main problems and be done with it. 75% of diesel owners today are daily drivers, grocery getters. There trucks seem to be doing fine.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:27 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree with the others that a diesel 3/4 ton that I already own would likely be cheaper in the long run than a used half ton with a thirstier gas engine and an unknown history.

However, if I was to buy a truck from your list it would be the F-150. I work on all these trucks daily, and it is rare to see problems on the F-150 that are common on other trucks, such as leaky oil cooler lines, leaky water pumps and intake manifolds, loose/worn front end components etc. The 4R100 transmission seems at least as durable as any other too.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Why would you sell your 05 when diesel is 20 cents cheaper, gets the same if not better mileage than the others, and you have all the power there when you do need it. There will come another time when you wished you had a 2500 and a truck that can tow 20k. Oh, and your mileage is gonna go to hell on those few trips that you do tow. 14mph with the Dodge, 10 with anyone of the others when towing. Plus, if you did buy new, you have that long drawn out payment to make when your 05 is probably paid down a little????

I agree with dslpwr81. I would rather have your truck with 70K miles on it than a new gasser anyday......towing or not. Your truck is barely even broken in and will run a half-million miles for sure.

There is no way you are going to save money by taking the hit on your current one and buying a new (or used) gasser, imo. I think you should keep what you got.....correct any weaknesses.....and drive it for many years to come.

If you have a problem come up.......just stay tuned here on on DTR and ask questions. Set the money aside that you WOULD be paying for the new gasser and pay to have the current one repaired, if needed. Unless heavily modded/raced etc.....your current Cummins will probably be trouble free for a long time to come. The failures you hear about here....are usually due to overpowering them or not filtering the fuel. Get a 2 micron filter.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 AM

How come everytime someone comes on here asking advice about something other than a CTD, you guys tell them they are absolutely wrong for even thinking about getting rid of it. His question wasn't whether to keep his current rig or not. His question was what is your opinion about a 1/2 TON vehicle. I realize this is Diesel Truck Resource, but this was posted in the OTHER section. Now back to the question at hand.

If I was to sell my truck for something else, it would either be a Nissan Titan or a Toyota Tundra. My mother and brother in law both have a Titan, and they are sweet. Lots of power, and very comfortable to boot. The looks of the new Tundra are pretty sharp, but other than that I don't have much experience with them.

I hope this helps you. If I offended anyone so be it.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
F150 if an older 12V did not fill my bill. I know of at least 1 regurally getting 18-1/2 MPG or better at 75 MPH.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:36 AM

If I were to go buy a gasser, it would be a Tundra. I think Toyota has always made great trucks. But...TexasCTD and dslpwr81 have very valid points! You may even see an increase in fuel mileage once your 05 is actually broken in!
Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
Banned

If you are possibly concerned about the "cost" to you as an owner, I have really started to look at the resale values of vehicles when I've been choosing.

I don't regret buying a dodge cummins-it holds it value much better than the compariable gasser, but if I were to think about a 1/2 ton, it would have to be the Toyota tundra. Resale values of those things are crazy high....and since they are worth so much, you can justify getting into a new one every couple of years.

From your list given, I would prefer to drive the Chev-but would definatly buy the tundra. A friend of mine owns one & loves it.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:17 AM

I know this is about 1/2 tons, however, I hope this isn't offensive...but if you have a nearly paid-for, or fully paid for CTD Dodge, why not stick with it? It's going to cost you a lot less than payments on a new, depreciating (rapidly) half-ton.

Put it this way, diesels are meant for high miles, long-duration driving. Laoded or not. This is why I bought mine. With over 350k on it so far, I've done nothing other than routine maintnace and wear items (ball-joints, etc.) It costs me less to drive than a gas V8 half ton, and when I need the capability, it's there.

I've been over this time and time again and since I already own this truck, I cannot make long-term sense out of buying a newer 1/2 ton. I would prefer to rest content with my truck. Quit worrying about it and drive the truck!

However of the major four, the Ford would be my last choice, WAY too much crome thrown all over it. I would by a Silverado as I have driven them and really like thier drive.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by tn hillbilly
How come everytime someone comes on here asking advice about something other than a CTD, you guys tell them they are absolutely wrong for even thinking about getting rid of it. His question wasn't whether to keep his current rig or not. His question was what is your opinion about a 1/2 TON vehicle. I realize this is Diesel Truck Resource, but this was posted in the OTHER section. Now back to the question at hand.

If I was to sell my truck for something else, it would either be a Nissan Titan or a Toyota Tundra. My mother and brother in law both have a Titan, and they are sweet. Lots of power, and very comfortable to boot. The looks of the new Tundra are pretty sharp, but other than that I don't have much experience with them.

I hope this helps you. If I offended anyone so be it.

Because he asked his question here on DTR.....thereby seeking our opinion. We gave it. I think we mentioned some points that maybe he had not thought about and maybe should consider. This is a financial decision too.

I have asked questions many times regarding one thing and others have chimed in and made me think about things from a different point of view and changed my mind for the better.

However, I wasn't offended by your opinion of our opinion....

Old 06-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Exactly, the point is that in the long run a Cummins will last longer if cared for right than any gas engine, so I would believe it beneficial to at least let him know that, along with the points that he will get better mileage and towing comfort with a Cummins any day.

I've been down the 1/2 ton route towing for my business, and I sure enjoy the extra fuel money I have left now with my Cummins, along with the better brakes, stronger drivetrain and suspension, and the more potential it gives.

I had an 05 f-150 which is now my fathers, truck runs decent, pulls decent, and has nice leg room. I would opt for another one f I had to.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:38 PM

I agree with the others that it would be cheaper to keep what you have. If you want a 1/2 ton though my buddy has a new 09 Ram crew cab hemi and it is a sweet truck. Very nice power although only towing 4500lbs (3 quads on trailer) and the interior is much nicer than the 3rd gens. Mileage towing the above load is 12.6-13.2 with mixed city/highway/back roads and he gets 14.5-15 in mixed empty commuting (hand calc).
Will

Quick Reply: Selling my Ram - Suggestions on 1/2 ton