Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

security cameras

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 11:58 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
security cameras

so I managed to score a time lapse video cassette recorder, a monitor and a video switcher box for the best price of all (free!) and I am looking for advice on video cameras. This is one of those areas where you get what you pay for. While I didn't pay anything for the current stuff, it really isn't worth the effort to wire up a bunch of cameras that gives a fuzzy picture or doesn't work in low light/bright light. I am hoping to place these cameras outside in discreet locations. size does matter, (nothing quite like giving the neighbours the impression of a hells angels hang out with a huge bullet proof camera enclosure) any suggestions on what to look for?
Old 09-08-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I scored a security camera a few years ago and i have it placed under my roof overhang facing the front door...i am of the view that if the bad guys *know* theres a chance they'll be captured on film it's better than nothing. Are you going to make the system operational or will it be a dummy setup? Sooner or later the neighbours or someone will discover the "discreet" cameras and cables and then they'll be wondering wether you have a grow op or something! better to go with a high visible location.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Banned

check out the ones they sell at harbor freight for 30 bucks. their B&W but they're capable of night vision and you can buy a bunch for not much money. i've got two of them and they work good.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by goldenears
I scored a security camera a few years ago and i have it placed under my roof overhang facing the front door...i am of the view that if the bad guys *know* theres a chance they'll be captured on film it's better than nothing. Are you going to make the system operational or will it be a dummy setup? Sooner or later the neighbours or someone will discover the "discreet" cameras and cables and then they'll be wondering wether you have a grow op or something! better to go with a high visible location.
The grow-op/grow-rip was the first thing that came to mind as I was admiring my score.... (I need the evidence to go to the police) I am hoping to make the system operational as I have the important part (the vcr) I should be able to see the guy when he rips off my company van now......
Old 09-09-2004, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been looking at security cameras a little bit lately, too. It seems that in general, the B&W cameras are better in low-light conditions for a lower price, so if you don't need color that seems like the way to go. These guys have some pretty cool stuff, some of it kind of gadgety, some pretty straightforward and relatively inexpensive: http://www.supercircuits.com . I haven't bought anything from them yet, but I have my eye on the floodlight camera to watch the alley behind my house, as well as my garage.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:38 PM

go to http://www.partsexpress.com and check out what they have... they have the B&W with night vision, and color with night vision.. prices seem ok...
Old 09-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Banned

Everyones getting free security camera's
they must not of worked to well against the people you got them off of......just kiddin