Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

School me on Fire Extinguishers please

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked up a large one, about 20-24" high, maybe 5-6" diameter for $20. I got it from the guys that checked our extinguishers at the dealer. I said, "hey, do you guys sell those? How much?" He said, "$20" holy toledo, give me one. Got another one for my truck, not as large, maybe a foot long,
4" diameter or so.

One thing I can add, that the guys that fill mine told me to do that has not been said. Occassionally you want to pull down your extinguisher and turn the bottom side up and down, let that chemical move back and forth in there. Perhaps that will eliminate what Colo_River_Ram has mentioned. Don't know anything about them but remember the guy telling me to do that.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks guys! Ya'll are a barrel of laughs....even being helpful..

So it sounds like I want an "ABC" type fire extinguisher. Perhaps 3 or so, including one for the truck, one for the garage, and one for the kitchen. And maybe another one to replace the 6 year old one in my RV.

Where do you suggest I get them? Home Depot? Northern Tool? Fire equipment place? Online perhaps? What Brand name do you suggest?

I love having stuff shipped to my door!! It's like a present to me, from me!

Old 06-20-2009, 09:26 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would start at Sams or Costco then go to Lowes or Homer.. Be sure to give the family members a safety lesson on them as well..

I love busting my crews on depleted fire extinguishers I tell them all they have is an empty can to throw at the fire! a lot of good that will do..

If the old one still shows it's in the green they make a good backup plan..
Old 06-20-2009, 10:20 PM

These guys gave you great advice, an ABC extinguisher will suit you very well.

Seems like the FF's on this site are batting a thousand when it comes to extinguisher use. My Chief tells me we have to recharge them more since I've been on the department than they did ever before. Ha Ha

Good job being proactive with your fire prevention plans.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 PM
DTR Mom

gotta love real firemen...

seriously Texas special man....tell your insurance company too, 10 percent discount. and please try one out OUTSIDE in like, an empty parking lot. you will put the advice to best use by experience.

listen to TIM, the Boston rubber runner hero. hehehe

Heidi the truckie... (i'll get you in there, you put it out hose jockeys)
Old 06-21-2009, 03:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
..........seriously Texas special man....tell your insurance company too, 10 percent discount. and please try one out OUTSIDE in like, an empty parking lot. you will put the advice to best use by experience.

That's a great idea to try one out. I was planning on buying a firepit for my patio in a few weeks anyway. I'll just start a fire and use the old fire extinguisher from the RV.....to try her out...

Maybe I could clean it up.........restart the fire and let my son put it out too if there is some chemical still left in the can.

So insurance cos. will allow a discount simply for telling them you possess a fire extinguisher?????????????

I don't belong to Sam's or Costco....but I do have a Lowes and Home Depot nearby. It sounds like the "brand" name is not that important or really even where to buy it. My son and I may go do a little Father's Day shopping today.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM

One of my part time jobs is fire alarm and fire extinguishers and suppression systems.

In a commercial environment, an extinguisher has to be inspected once a year. This consists of making sure the gauge is in the green, there is no physical damage to the unit, the pin will come out and the service is in date. You also turn it upside down and bang with your fist or a SOFT hammer to unpack the powder. When the powder is loose, it will feel like there is a spring inside.

Every 6 yrs it is blown down, taken apart and the valve core and o-rings replaced. It is filled with dry nitrogen to keep from water contamination and clumping.

Every 12 years, the 6 yr check is performed and the cylinder is hydrostated to 5/3 of its working pressure.

An extinguisher riding in a vehicle needs to be unclumped frequently.

Older extinguishers are being phased out if they do not have pictures of how to use it as we would be hateful to expect people in this country to be able to understand the English language.

An extinguisher with a plastic valve is considered throw away and are prone to leak off the pressure. Most places will not refill a plastic valve, especially after a few of them blow off.

It will bend a steel truss when it rockets into it.

The gauges are not real accurate and if it is out of the green, consider it a rock.

A 2A water extinguisher will put out a lot of fire and you can recharge it with an air hose and water hose. These are the stainless steel ones that are about 24" tall.

A CO2 is rated for fuel and electrical. Advantages are no residue.

When you discharge a ABC or BC in a commercial kitchen, all open food must be disposed of. Imagine taking 5, 10 or whatever pounds of baking soda and blasting it out at 200psi. It makes a huge mess.

Commercial kitchens now require a "K" hand held extinguisher. These work at the higher temperatures and greases we use now.

Halon is mostly gone now due to the bunny huggers, but is an excellent product as long as you do not breathe the smoke. (phosgene)

ABC is corrosive and needs to be washed off quickly. It will ruin paint.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:28 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by madhat
You want an ABC fire extinguisher, they are good for all fires. I keep a small one in my truck, a couple in the house, and a larger ones in my sheds.

I have never seen an extinguisher with a expiration date, usually, if the gauge is in the green, it is not damaged or weather beaten, you should be good. For the one in your camper, google the brand, and see if they recommend any type of maintenance interval, I.E. shaking it, storing it.

chaikwa is a fire guru here, I'll let him know about this thread.
ABC doesn't do much against powdered metal fires (D) or self oxygenating flammable materials (E) altho, if you have those materials around your house, you got other issues that need to be addressed in addition to your fire suppression.

Put a couple 2 pounders under the seat of your truck (and remember to check them.
Put a 5 pounder under the sink and a 1 pounder by the stove (knock back the fire to grab the big guns)
Put a 5 pounder near your electrical service box.
Put a 5 pounder in you shop or barn.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you can buy a halogen at a garage sale buy it,best ex they ever made.