Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is this a scammer?

Old 01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I definitely would NOT do anything like this....Your IP Address is recorded every time an email is sent from that account, so they would be on you like Ugly on a Ape.
Not if you are hiding behind a dozen proxies....

At a public library.....

Dont mind me, Im just a troll.....
Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Not if you are hiding behind a dozen proxies....

At a public library.....

Dont mind me, Im just a troll.....
They have cameras in Library's Anytime you are messing with something that involves the Secret Service, they pretty much have an unlimited budget to go after you.

I would look in a different direction unless you want to be Janitor of D-Block
Old 01-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
They have cameras in Library's Anytime you are messing with something that involves the Secret Service, they pretty much have an unlimited budget to go after you.

But if Scott was doing it all they would have is a Sasquatch siting at the library

Old 01-17-2011, 12:32 PM
Admin Team Leader

But if Scott was doing it all they would have is a Sasquatch siting at the library

That would bring up a whole new set of Bigfoot Reality shows this season
Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... so they would be on you like Ugly on a Ape.
Who you calling ugly?

It ain't the 'janitor' part I'd be worried about. Bubba is what would worry me.

I can hear you. I'm right here. Sheesh! You talk about me like I wasn't within ear shot!

I'm still leaning towards the total deletion method. Unless I can borrow your Mac for a weekend Blake. I mean, what the heck, you don't use it much here anymore so you'd never miss it!
Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Urban Legend

Sasquatch ......Bigfoot ....... are ya'll trying to blame this on me now?
Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by bigfoot
Sasquatch ......Bigfoot ....... are ya'll trying to blame this on me now?
Why not?

You got big enough shoulders to bear the burden
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
save all the emails and send them anonymously to whatever LEO goes after scammers...maybe they can use it to bust them or at least start watching them…
Old 01-18-2011, 12:38 AM
DTR Mom

Cool

as entertaining as this thread is- IT IS A PUBLIC SITE! STOP ' PLANNING' ANY REFUTE!

internet scammers keep walking just like the pickpockets in the real world. luck of getting something is 1 in 10. don't add to this by using your personal computer to keep on their site. trojan crypts, keystroke counters, anything can be placed once you enter a contaminated site that can piggyback under the spyware.

Has there been any harmful action? no. an attempt is not a crime, hence the frequency. he sent a worthless check to an individual but did not perform any action (no horse to feed), so you have zero loss. internet crime usually gets involved in losses over 20,000 as a rule. business get more attention.
my advice is to submit the IP address to a state level law enforcement organization, wait twelve weeks for any follow up or just submit a FOIA (freedom of info act request) which will give you the file with any notes. a IP address is just a location so ask that it not be redacted or blocked out as it does not identify anyone. google the location, library or dept of labor (common) location and your day ends. private home? well, how crazy do you wanna let this get? over what loss?

you may only get another scam info, and it is called 'bait'. should you take any action past ascertaining the actual identity (not by hacking btw) and a notifying of 'cease and desist' communication; it is you that is guilty of malicious intent/harassment/even stalking depending on the level you gather information. step back, not worth it.

my personal opinion- this is not legal advice.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
Has there been any harmful action? no. an attempt is not a crime, hence the frequency. he sent a worthless check to an individual but did not perform any action
Passing a false check is 'uttering' and a felony offense according to the detectives I contacted. State wanted nothing to do with this junk and suggested I call the locals. They looked at what I had and thought it looked familiar. As it turns out they were involved with this guy a year ago and brought the fed's into it because of state lines and the amount of money involved. Couldn't get him at the time due to 'unfortunate circumstances', but recent activity by the guy and reports from me and 2 other local people may make it possible to go after him again. Feds still want him and are interested in the 3 local reports. Meeting with them on Friday. My access to his email, (Microsoft Live), didn't constitute any breach on my part simply because, as they found out when they tried, his password was pre-entered into the email log in screen. Glad I didn't delete it all now!
Old 01-27-2011, 05:18 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I didnt even know I was Itialian!!!

Just got this one today. I feel sorry for the rest of you. This looks like the real deal. As soon as I get the money I will hire a secretary to take care of my internet chatting.

From the desk of:
Attorney Edward Peters
Falcon Chambers
408 Lond / Chancery Lane,
London, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 702 4031820
Fax: +44 871 2564732

On behalf of the Trustees and Executor of the Estate of late Luciano Pavarotti, I hereby attempt to reach you again. I wish to notify you that late Luciano Pavarotti made you a beneficiary to his will. He left the sum of Thirty-one Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars Only (USD$31,500,000.00 ) to you in the codicil and last testament to his will. This may sound strange and unbelievable to you, but it is real and true.

Luciano Pavarotti was known for his humanitarian work. He was the founder and the host of the'Pavarotti & Friends' annual charity concerts and related activities in Modena, Italy. There he sang with international stars of all styles to raise funds for several worthy UN causes and charity homes. Pavarotti sang with Bono and U2 in the 1995 song Miss Sarajevo and raised $50,500,000 in his charity project 'Concert for Bosnia'.

He also established and financed the Pavarotti Music Center in Bosnia, and raised funds in charity concerts for refugees from Afghanistan and for refugees from Kosovo. Pavarotti made two Guinness World Records one was for receiving the most curtain calls at and the other was for the best selling classical album of 'The Three Tenors in Concert' with Plбcido Domingo and Joseph Carreras.

Late Luciano Pavarotti until his death was a very dedicated Christian who loved to give out. His great philanthropy earned him numerous awards during his life time, late Luciano Pavarotti died at the age of 71 years. According to him this money is to support your activities and to help the poor and the needy.

Read more about him on this web(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0667556/bio)

Please You should fill the information below for more clarity and identification of your information we have here

1.Full Name
2.Mobile Telephone number,
3.Age
4.contact address/Country
5.occupation

Yours In Service,

Attorney Edward Peters
Falcon Chambers

Sniff-- I cant believe my dear sweet uncle Luciano would do this for me especially since I never even met him. Once I get the money I am going to buy all of his records.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Woo Hoo beer and pizza is on Bark tonight!