General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Scam a scammer

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scam a scammer

I was searching for a truck on AutoTrader.com and came across these two ads.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=en&cardist=78

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...000&cardist=88

Something just seemed wrong so I emailed the guy and recieved this

"Hi.
thank you for your email and sorry for my late reply.The car is in great condition and ready to be bought.I kept this car like it was my baby and i want to sell it to someone who will love it as much as i did.I attached a few pics in order for you to see what i'm talking about.Let me know what you think about the pics.Hope to hear from you soon.
John.

ps:where are you located?

VEHICLE INFORMATION
Make: Dodge
Model: Ram 2500 Truck
Year: 1999
Price: 7890
Mileage: 82154
Body Style: Truck
Color: Green
Cylinders: 6 Cylinder
Transmission: Automatic
Doors: Unknown
Stereo: Unavailable
Description: 1999 DODGE RAM 2500 TRUCK, 82,154 mi, air bag, ac, ps, p/windows,
$7,890, 610-482-8093 IRVING NJ (CW44ai)"

Then, telling him I wanted it, I got this

"Steve,

the truck will be shipped from NY through DAS Auto Shippers.I will need your full name and address.The payment must be submitted into my company's bank account and as soon as you made the payment i will ship the car along with all the paperwork.I will allow a 3 day inspection period.After the inspection ends you have 2 options:
a.to keep the car
b.if you are not going to be satisfied with it's condition i will refund you 100% and the car will be shipped back at my own expense.

John"

I googled DAS Auto Shippers and found some links to other forums with similar threads about an AutoTrader.com scam.

So I emailed him and told him I had the bank waiting for his info to get him a check in the mail and recieved this.

"Steve,

sorry for my late reply.I got all your emails.The total amount shipping included is $7900 but the funds must be bank wired because the certified check takes a lot longer to clear(up to 20 bussines days).After you bank wire the funds it will take max 4 bussines day for the funds to clear and after they do i will ship the truck. Please provide your shipping address and the name of the person who is going to wire the funds and also your bank's name.

John"

I called my bank and got info on wiring money, what info of his I needed, etc. and emailed him back that I needed that info. When and if he sends it to me, I'm thinking of contacting the IFCC but thought it would be fun to play with him a bit. Does anyone have any thoughts?

If this post is out of line, Mods feel free to delete it. It is concerning a scam on a diesel truck for sale on line so I thought it would be ok to post this here.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:16 PM

Smile Re: Scams

Hi Guys

There are so many people out there doing this ... I had a guy call me on the phone , a local guy from philly , we were talking on the phone about buying a truck I was selling ...I have an over abundance of common sence ... this guy was telling me about his big ranch in montana , his 2 new H-1 hummers and all kinds of other crap was comming out of his mouth.

He came out to look at my 35,000 dollar truck ...in his 50 dollar mini van with duct tape window ... he wanted to take the truck and give me a bank check and even offered to provide the number to conferm the check...

I asked him if I looked as dumb as him pulling up in that terd he was driving

I told him to beat his feet or I was going to call the cops ...never heard from him again .

It's tuff to sell and buy anything these days ...I just got the tittle back for my 01 ford f-350 ... I need to 30 grand ...I have 80 into it ...

But to ask someone to bring 30 grand is kind-a tuff , i would prefer to have them go get a lone and me deal with a bank ... You need to look out for cash these days also .

You get the guys that wash the dollar bills clean and reprint right on the money paper ....so it feels the same , I have seen this common in 10's and 20's .

If it seems to good to be true ...it usually is .

Later

Greg
Old 11-10-2005, 01:32 PM

I noticed the links you provide to the ads have a different location (each ad has a different location).
Old 11-10-2005, 01:55 PM

yeah each ad has different location, price, odometer reading, etc.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by kd460
I noticed the links you provide to the ads have a different location (each ad has a different location).
Yes and both phone #'s are disconnected...go figure. Here is what he sent me for payment info...

"Hello,

sorry for my late reply.Here are the details of my company in order for you wire the funds:

Wells Fargo Bank NA
420 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94104

To Payee: Cash Cards International

ABA: 121000248
Account Number: 8086803668
For Further Credit To:
Holloway

The car is ready for shipping.

John"

Is there a way I can use this info and wire his money to the Red Cross or someone like that? I'd like to try to "get" him. Is the "NA" after the bank name standing for one of those off shore banks I wonder?
Old 11-10-2005, 02:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't ask me why but NA stands for national bank.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 PM

If this truck was "like it was my baby", why does he keep calling it a car?

Jim
Old 11-10-2005, 03:23 PM

Personally I wouldn't trust it. Gut feeling is something just isn't right about the whole situation. Not to many people will willingly give out their account number for a deposit, especially a company. That alone is asking for trouble. There are to many differences between the ads and if both phone numbers are disconnected you have no recourse if it does turn out to be a scam.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by DaNuGuy

Is there a way I can use this info and wire his money to the Red Cross or someone like that? I'd like to try to "get" him.
So let me try to make sense of what you are asking here....You want to know how to commit bank fraud and steal money from the guys account so you can "get him" ?

Maybe I am missing something but if the guy is a thief, how will your being a thief as well make the situation any better?
Old 11-10-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
So let me try to make sense of what you are asking here....You want to know how to commit bank fraud and steal money from the guys account so you can "get him" ?

Maybe I am missing something but if the guy is a thief, how will your being a thief as well make the situation any better?
Cause 2 wrongs make it right
Old 11-10-2005, 05:15 PM

Sounds like DaNuGuy wants to be a modern day Robin Hood and teach the guy a lesson. (not that it's right but would teach him a lesson)

Travist
Old 11-10-2005, 05:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ds1rider
Cause 2 wrongs make it right
No, three lefts do
Old 11-10-2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

i think it would be a better lesson to him than, say, taking along a bible and showing him where it says "thou shalt not steal"

if people like this want to play dirty they deserve whatever is coming to them, morality aside.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:56 PM

NA typically stands for "Non-Affliated" with the FDIC. At least that's what I was led to believe.

Why the guy is in Jersey and asking for money to be wired to CA is a little disturbing. All you need is an account number and routing number to wire the funds to his account. I've done it hundreds of times.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by hovisimo
i think it would be a better lesson to him than, say, taking along a bible and showing him where it says "thou shalt not steal"

if people like this want to play dirty they deserve whatever is coming to them, morality aside.
I am not talking morality here (Never mentioned the bible here in any post) I am talking Federal time in the BIG house for committing bank fraud. How can you think stealing from a thief makes you any different than the thief?

Quick Reply: Scam a scammer