Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Root Beer Brewers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Root Beer Brewers?

So would anybody here brew their own root beer?

I love root beer, but can never find real good root beer. I want a root beer that has some real flavor to it; but, I can't find any.

I hear that it can be home brewed... Anybody have any experience?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:36 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can brew root beer????

Wow, I didn't know that.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:54 PM

There is a local restaurant here that does..... and its **** good too...

you know by looking whether it comes out of a soda fountain or a kegerator... that is the difference...
Old 12-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
you can brew root beer????

Wow, I didn't know that.
Yep. Water, flavors (mainly honey, sassafras, sarsaparilla) and yeast. (Hops are optional?)

I think the yeast adds alcohol content as well as carbonation; I don't know how to brew it without alcohol.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:58 PM

Boil the sarsaparilla root chips - like the old prospectors would ask for - sassprilly tea - just B4 they'd get thrashed and tossed outta the saloon.

Then, Roy Rogers, or Gene Autry, or Matt Dillon, or John Wayne, or Randolph Scott, etc, would have to show up and restore order..................
Old 12-25-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Go to a beer brewing store. I am sure they would have some info on it.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Wal mart used to carry a so called "mix" that you mixed up with club soda and sugar. It's been several years since i have seen or used any. It worked pretty good from what i recall. It should be located on the aisle with the spices and etc. I think it was sassofras mix or something along those lines.
Anyway, thought i'd share some of my info, and happy brewing....
Aaron
Old 12-26-2006, 05:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a mail order place not far from here that sells all the old time products that are getting hard to find. Here is a link to their root beer home brew:
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...iProductID=367
This is where I get my REAL leather belts that last for years unlike the ones WallyMart sells that are cheap laminates and only last for a couple of months!
Old 12-26-2006, 07:58 AM

All I have done in the past is bought Root beer extract from the grocery store and not from any local wine/beer making store in town. The extract that comes from the store is not really strong which my kids really like. All you do is mix the extract in 5 gallons of water and add sugar than keg it or bottle it with yeast. The instructions say to use 5 pound of sugar, but I have cut it down to 4, which makes the root beer taste less gritty.

As a side note, I recommend the kegging process which everyway you make your root beer, from making your own extract or using store bought extract. The reason is that if you bottle your root beer and forget about it, the bottles can end up having enough CO2 processed within the bottle to cause the bottle exploded. Which would be bad. IMO kegging make rootbeer and beer taste alot better.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Trebor
There is a mail order place not far from here that sells all the old time products that are getting hard to find. Here is a link to their root beer home brew:
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/prod...iProductID=367
This is where I get my REAL leather belts that last for years unlike the ones WallyMart sells that are cheap laminates and only last for a couple of months!
IMO the rootbeer extract from this website is very strong flavor, unless that is what you like. I have tried this in the past and family does not like it at all. I have a extra one at home, I could send it to you if you like. PM me if you want it.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:06 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Rainbow Flavors our of Osage Beach, MO is where we get our supplies.
Most any homemade wine and beer supplier will have it.

A word of caution:
Use bar type beer bottles, not the throw away type. Since the Root Beer gets it carbonation form the interaction of the yeast with the sugar, you need a good bottle.
Once it is bottled, REFRIGERATE. The cold will stop the fermentation process. Otherwise, while at room temperature, it will continue to ferment and build pressure AND alcohol content.
Follow the directions. Not all sugars are the same. You can use different type sugars, including honey, but they will react differently. Experiment carefully.
The bottles can explode if left at room temperature for several weeks. If this happens, be sure to wear welders gloves, face shield, and protective clothing when handling. Pretend you are EOD when handling.

Not to scare you away from making it. It's fun and makes really good root beer.

It just dawned on me that it was Beagle that asked the question. With that in mind, "Mods, feel free to edit the contents as you deem necessary."

gettingsuitedupinbodyarmorjustincaseShortround out
Old 12-26-2006, 09:18 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Love good root beer, but as others have noted, good tasting root beer is hard to find. Now that I have read this thread, may try making my own.
In the same category is pineapple beer and ginger beer.
Why is it called 'beer'? The definition of beer is an alcoholic beverage brewed from malt and hops. None of the above is generally alcoholic.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:57 AM

Beer is from the way it is brewed. I put a hydrometer on mine and it ends up at less than .25% (as long as it is kept cold after bottling). Depending on sugar and yeast quantities, you can get it up in the 6% range without a problem.
Depending on the type capper you use, the bottles will vent if the CO2 pressure gets too high. If it's a commercial type capper that REALLY tightens the cap, the bottles will make a good grenade when dropped.
Besides, root beer is hard to clean up, especially when you have several gallons all over the floor.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:41 PM

Shortround,

When I move my HHG's back, there will be some of the german bottles with the ceramic lids. If I bring a case of them back for you will you school me on making some "home brew" ??

PISTOL
Old 12-26-2006, 01:27 PM

Not a problem PW. Be glad to get you involved in the brewing process.
Besides, I have a bottle of 2006 vintage blueberry wine awaiting your return.

Quick Reply: Root Beer Brewers?