Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Respect for Women

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrisreyn, the first time i heard of the man going in first was from a friend from south africa... she also thought it was wierd for a man to hold the door and send the woman into an unknown situation. i had never really thought about it before that, but i never really considered where i live to be unsafe.
i agree with those that say the womens rights movements have caused some to act offended. doesn't matter to me, i am going to keep on honoring my wife and other women i come in contact with.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just came back from a 2 week trip to Texas and I can say with extreme confidence that there is far more door opening and verble respect,(yes maam and yes sir), than back here in Mass. I open and hold doors for women and elderly men back here only to have some meathead push people out of the way to get through, or they look at you like your going to rob them.
I must say it was nice to have mostly everyone I held a door for in Texas to say, thank you sir or, much obliged.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Culture Clash

This reminds me of a story about a poor old Texas cowboy caught by the advent of the women's lib movement.

He opened the door for a woman who was going into a super market and was immediately dressed down with, "Young man, did you open that door for me because I'm a woman and you thought I couldn't do it for myself?"

The old Texas cowboy replied, "No, ma'am. I opened the door for you because I thought you were a lady. Obviously, I was mistaken. Please accept my apologies."

Rusty
Old 01-03-2007, 10:41 AM

Equal rights is a joke. Equal means equal, not "only equal in ways that are beneficial and special treatment in areas that aren't." And thats not just women.

I was raised to hold the door for women, pull out her chair, unlock her door first and everything else. I never thought I would be one of the few that still have manners. I always thought my manners were terrible...guess I was wrong. I still gripe at my girlfriend for trying to open her own door.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:08 AM

I still do the doors, the yes ma'ams, don't sit down until the lady has etc ... I don't really care who it is. I get a few weird looks from the younger ones and especially from the "manly" types but still do it anyway.

I have never been chastised by a womens lib'r for doing it ... heard stories but still ain't sure I believe them.

If you are doing it ... keep doing it. If you don't do it ... it's the right thing to do. Try it, you might like it.

As for the meatheads that try to shove their way through when I open the door for a lady .... they might make the attempt ... once. (not too gracefully either )

PISTOL
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by RustyJC
This reminds me of a story about a poor old Texas cowboy caught by the advent of the women's lib movement.

He opened the door for a woman who was going into a super market and was immediately dressed down with, "Young man, did you open that door for me because I'm a woman and you thought I couldn't do it for myself?"

The old Texas cowboy replied, "No, ma'am. I opened the door for you because I thought you were a lady. Obviously, I was mistaken. Please accept my apologies."

Rusty
This is exactly right..good one.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Micaiahfied
chrisreyn, the first time i heard of the man going in first was from a friend from south africa... she also thought it was wierd for a man to hold the door and send the woman into an unknown situation. i had never really thought about it before that, but i never really considered where i live to be unsafe.
i agree with those that say the womens rights movements have caused some to act offended. doesn't matter to me, i am going to keep on honoring my wife and other women i come in contact with.

Ever noticed how bull elk send the cows into the open first - to see if it is safe.

I always try to hold a door open for a lady.

Now that the joking part is over, I held a door open for a young woman on the way inside my local Tim Horton's to grab a coffee yesterday. She looked at me like I was insane. You just can't win.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Showing respect for others is as much about respecting your own self. Those who have no respect for them selves, don't respect anyone else either.

I see it all the time on this forum from guys who think they can plaster profanity all over the place. They don't care who they offend because they also have no respect for themselves.

I open doors, Tip my hat (when wearing one) say Yes Sir and Yes Mamn and try to be respectful to everyone I meet. Last time I was at a sporting event they played the star spangled banner and 98% of the young men didn't even remove their hats.

Children are NOT being taught respect in this country anymore, and our society suffers from it. Respect is a GOOD thing, and we need more of it
Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 AM
rdc
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopardan
I honestly don't take my hat off for the ladies, but I do for the Pledge of Allegiance. And it irks me about those that don't.
I will usually ask them to remove it.. Politely of course...
Old 01-03-2007, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by madhat
Back on the origional subject, I think that respect for women as a whole has went down the tubes. Heck, repect for each other in gereral has took a crap. Don't cost nothin to be nice to someone.
I'll second that and it didn't take me 2 hours to read it

Well put...
Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 AM

One of the things I am trying to do is when I adress somone older than me I use "MR" and their last name. I noticed the elders in my church doing it but none of the young guys. I thought it was a level of respect that needed to be brought back.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:15 PM

I lived in Texas for ten years. Standing to meet a lady, removing your hat, calling her ma'am or miss, is standard there. A woman who is the wife of a friend calls for extra respect. These are manners from old europe, (not the crap that is in europe now), and reflect a sense of respect.
I remove my hat and stand when I meet a lady. Every time. I taught my sons to do the same. I call her ma'am or miss, every time.
I remove my hat when I eat, and I wash my hands before doing so, as well.
I say please and thank you, and say yes sir and ma'am. I expect my sons to do the same, and I expect to be treated in a like manner or I will not associate.
I hold to a higher standard.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

My philosophy on this subject is that if a man is wanting to be that nice woman than that is a good thing. It is not everyday that you see men doing that (opening doors and yes maam and etc.) Anymore your lucky to find people that are actually nice to one another. I don't expect a man to tip his hat or take it off or even open my door.All I ever ask for is a little respect.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CIN'S DODGE
My philosophy on this subject is that if a man is wanting to be that nice woman than that is a good thing. It is not everyday that you see men doing that (opening doors and yes maam and etc.) Anymore your lucky to find people that are actually nice to one another. I don't expect a man to tip his hat or take it off or even open my door.All I ever ask for is a little respect.
R E S P E C T found out what it means to me.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:40 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

LMAO! Your not right at all! Are you going to sing it for all of us?LOL

Quick Reply: Respect for Women