Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Rescue of more Morons

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
shoot a cut shotshell in the air, glowing thing fell back to the ground- cotton ball with Vaseline and a little powder from the shell. awesome fire starter in cold rain.
It would be my luck when Mr Grizzly finally charges for real I would have my fire starter
in the chamber instead of a slug and get chased through the woods by a Grizzly that is on fire.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
in 9th grade, home computers didnt exist........LOL

My dad was a "tech" for Univac during the Apollo moon series...
He worked at the "super computer" complex NASA built out of the swamps near Slidell, La...
I can remember as a kid walking through the computer( yep you walked THRU it to get inside the building). There were guys walking around in those reflective fire-proof suits whose sole job was replacing the vacuum tubes as they burned out...it was programmed with reams of punch cards by connecting RCA cables across foil lined peg-boards..
The computer itself was as big as the huge warehouse they built it in, and all it did was basic math functions......

gee........I AM old I guess.....
A friend in SoCal bought a storage unit with some car stuff in it he thought would be valuable...At the rear of the unit were boxes and boxes of old computer punch cards that his father thought may have been ballistic info for the Navy. He remembered them from serving as a Navy warrant officer in both Korea and Viet Nam...Many of them only had a few little square holes punched out so they used them as note pads...

Now what was the subject of this thread??
Old 03-02-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Now the question is how do we rescue Bark from a flaming grizzley
Old 03-02-2014, 02:10 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by railroaderone
........ how do we rescue Bark from a flaming grizzley
Well, I've always heard Alaska is MUCH more liberal/tolerant about those kinda things.....
Old 03-02-2014, 07:26 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I dunno about you guys, but I carry tools, water, munchies, first aid, and a couple fire sources in my truck at all times. doesn't matter if I'm running around town or across the country.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:28 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
in 9th grade, home computers didnt exist........LOL

My dad was a "tech" for Univac during the Apollo moon series...
He worked at the "super computer" complex NASA built out of the swamps near Slidell, La...
I can remember as a kid walking through the computer( yep you walked THRU it to get inside the building). There were guys walking around in those reflective fire-proof suits whose sole job was replacing the vacuum tubes as they burned out...it was programmed with reams of punch cards by connecting RCA cables across foil lined peg-boards..
The computer itself was as big as the huge warehouse they built it in, and all it did was basic math functions......

gee........I AM old I guess.....
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Back in the days when the smart people knew 640kb of RAM was all anyone would ever need
I got news for you. What Chris is describing predates Bill G's famous (or infamous) remark by 20 years. At that time, the Univac was already essentially obsolete.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:33 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
I got news for you. What Chris is describing predates Bill G's famous (or infamous) remark by 20 years. At that time, the Univac was already essentially obsolete.
J_Martin, you are absolutely correct about the timelines. I am lucky to be a second generation IT guy. My first IT job was on an IBM System370 where I got to load tapes (reel to reel and something that looked like 8-track tapes) and the majority of my day was loading paper into the laser printer and then putting print jobs that came out of the printer into pigeon holes. Then I was an OS/2 guy and all the rest of the client server stuff. With the highly virtualized computing environments we are building these days I am lucky enough to be around to see us go back to mainframes, just with different names on them.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Well, I've always heard Alaska is MUCH more liberal/tolerant about those kinda things.....
Hah!! I just got it.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
We get a 12 pack and a stop watch and time him doing laps
Old 03-03-2014, 07:59 PM
DTR Mom

and then the rim shot on the drum.... tolerance

Chris, you are one funny smart man. glad she kept you! quick, quick wit.
you must have been a wise butt in school......

had a black bear at scout camp, everybody ran. I went to make noise, move mr. bear along... smelled bad things. bear had plopped butt down in the coals ripping into a jug of cooking oil.....sniff sniff. I didn't have to make a sound. I can now attest to speed when hearing "put a fire under his donkey to get him moving"....

busy day, everyone seems to want something, tired, early night!!
Old 03-04-2014, 12:42 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
J_Martin, you are absolutely correct about the timelines. I am lucky to be a second generation IT guy. My first IT job was on an IBM System370 where I got to load tapes (reel to reel and something that looked like 8-track tapes) and the majority of my day was loading paper into the laser printer and then putting print jobs that came out of the printer into pigeon holes. Then I was an OS/2 guy and all the rest of the client server stuff. With the highly virtualized computing environments we are building these days I am lucky enough to be around to see us go back to mainframes, just with different names on them.
I was a design tech in the late 60's working at Control Data, then Fabri-Tek. I was involved in the design of Phase encoding for tape, getting the density all the way up to 1600 bits per inch. At Fabri-Tek, we were debating whether silicone memory could ever compete with ferrite cores.

Later, in the early 80's I worked for a third party maintenance outfit on IBM System/38, and big IBM peripherals. I designed a rebuilding system for the hydraulic carriage control units in 1403 printers. (Yes folks, 3/4 hp hydraulics to move the paper.) We got it down to making 9 units out of 10 cores at about 300 bucks apiece, vs 5000 from IBM. They were so tightly spec'd that install took about 2 hours, vs a day or more for an IBM tech to install one of theirs.

Now I'm an old phart still pulling cable, and fixin' 'puters.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:34 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bark
Hah!! I just got it.
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
and then the rim shot on the drum.... tolerance

Chris, you are one funny smart man. glad she kept you! quick, quick wit.
you must have been a wise butt in school......!!
Geesh, I thought it was almost too easy and obvious

Heidi, none of my teachers appreciated
my sense of humor
One actually wrote in my yearbook that if there was a catagory for " most likely to go to prison" I would have won .
He just about choked when I went home to visit a few years later and he found out I was a cop
Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 PM

And another

"A 39-year-old man from Texas spent Sunday night on a mountain near Whittier before he was rescued by the
Alaska Mountain Rescue Group and Alaska Air National Guard on Monday morning, Alaska State Troopers said".
"Scott Hueske had hiked several miles off of the trail to Portage Pass toward the summit of Mount Maynard, the mountain the Whittier tunnel cuts through,
when he called police around 6:40 p.m. Sunday requesting rescue.
He said he was "wet, cold and exhausted" and was wearing only a black sweater with black pants and had no other gear, troopers said".

If not for a lucky cell phone connection this guy probably wouldn't have been found until the critters got done with him.
`
Old 04-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A shrewfest waiting to happen. What's with people?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Yup. There are thousands of places in Texas where you can go wandering around and die if you don't prepare or have a plan.
Wonder why lately people have been coming up here to be stupid.

Quick Reply: Rescue of more Morons