Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

A REALLY good reason to keep your driver's license, reg., and insurance REAL handy

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fiveology
Make good ones and our meetings will be as pleasant and brief as I can possibly make it, make bad ones and our meeting will not be so pleasant.

I do this job everyday, and I will not judge the actions of a fellow officer.

When you have done the same, you can decide if you have the right to judge.
Well said..
Old 12-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Timmay2
Let see.. he was asked to produce paperwork THREE times.. the kid says whoa whoa whoa hold on. WHAT?! Officer's in control buddy. Gets asked AGAIN.. and then argues no..

At this point the kid shows resistance to every command the officer shows.

Gets asked to step out of the vehicle, produce paperwork again. Steps out while arguing.

Gets asked to step to the back of the vehicle. Stands still arguing.

Cop attempts to close the car door (probably to prevent him from running).

Throws his left arm up like he is going to strike the officer..

Still refuses to move to the back of the vehicle.

TASER well deserved.

Gotta love how the race card was used there too... many times.

Officer was pretty calm and in control and showed lots of reservation.. during the argument and after while the kid was trying to provoke him even more.

Horrible that anyone would take the kids side.
Nice to see a reply from someone that objectively watched the video

It is as obvious as the sun coming up tomorrow
Old 12-14-2007, 10:31 PM

40 seconds is more than enough to see a threat and use necessary force to prevent it from elevating.

Sure it may take more than 40 seconds to grab your wallet, remove the id, insurance, etc. He made no attempt to do either.

In 40 seconds im sure you can at least grab your wallet or open the glovebox, dont you think?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:32 PM

Reviewed the video again... Officer produced taser well before using it.

Don't you think if you were arguing with an officer, if he produces a taser and then REPEATS the command.. you should probably do it?
Old 12-14-2007, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by WRTN
Your rendition of what the video shows just didn't happen.

Oh it didnt?

So what happened?

"License and registration..."

DONT TASE ME BRO!

Watch the video without prejudgement or hate for the law next time.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by WRTN
I would LOVE to have you give testimony before a jury immediately after allowing the jury to view this video. In fact I would let you make the above statement first then play the video. I am reasonably certain a jury would be infuriated with you after cross examination.

FACT........from time the officer addresses the driver to the time he tasers him is approximately 40 seconds. That is hardly enough time to reach into your wallet pocket to retrieve your wallet while seat belted.

Your rendition of what the video shows just didn't happen.

If you are so sure the officer was 100% correct. Go ahead and try his method of making a "traffic stop" while your vehicle recorder is running.

Something tells me you might get more than 3 days suspension.

My hunch is that the legal fees this officer will pay will probably be enough to make a banker cry over and above what the APD covers if they cover any expenses.

Much in the way drunk driving liability is NOT covered by insurance companies.........official misconduct is not covered by departmental liability coverage as well in most instances.

My guess is the only reason this officer was not charged with official misconduct was that the district or assistant district attorney refused to prosecute or obstructed the charges.

This borders on the absurd
Old 12-15-2007, 12:04 AM

I believe that you should treat someone how you would want to be treated. I don't think that the officer was out of line in the least. Anymore you don't know what someone will do. Now if the guy would have done what was asked of him he would have most likely got off with a ticket for the license plate and not the speeding. A cop can't just look past the fact that the car doesn't display the state required plate that they use to identify a vehicle. I was pulled over by the same cop 2 months apart on the same night of the week, I was going to the same destination and I was also going the same speed both times (to fast ). I decided to fight it and I brought my passengers with me. Why I did this I have no idea I was totally in the wrong both times. When I arrived at court the officer came up and talked to me and after about 5 min of me listening and answering his questions he decided to drop the charges that I would have lost my license for and just made me pay a fine. I was 16 and had my license for 3 months at the time of the court date. I have not had even a parking ticket since and I'm 31. Most cops will be understanding and try to work with you but when you ignore there requests they get angry and I believe they have every right to be. Look at it this way, if you tell your child to do something and they ignore you do you walk away or do you make them listen to you. I myself make them listen weather standing in front of the TV so they can't see or raising my voice. Think about it, it's along the same line the only difference is that its not your child it's someone else's and your not in the safety of your living room your out on a busy highway.

Moral of the story....... Don't be STUPID just do what your told. It will make everything allot less pain full.

Ryan
Old 12-15-2007, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by fiveology

I do this job everyday, and I will not judge the actions of a fellow officer.

When you have done the same, you can decide if you have the right to judge.
So you are saying that a fellow officer can do nothing wrong in your eyes? That a fellow officer can never act completely out of line, or just simply make a mistake? And why can't anyone with a little bit of commons sense and an understanding of right and wrong have an opinion on the matter? No offense, just curious.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Sad thing is if the cop shot the guy with his "service pistol" instead of his Taser I think certain members of this board would still defend this out of control cop.
You are probably right

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
In the video it is pretty darn evident that the cop was out of line, and his superiors agreed and conducted an internal investigation. The officer in question was suspended.

Even if the kid in the car was trying to stall or just defuse the cops rage either way the officer was way out of line.
Sad thing is it seems like this is happening more often.
Agreed
Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Lrdchaos
My only problem with this thought is, that I work around police every day...luckly I am one of the good guys(Firefighter) but cops use this line all the time. But what it really amounts too is, that they were pullied in school and this is the time that they can pay it back. The majority of cops get their rocks off by using excessive force....Where I work if you have a mva, or a citizen assist you might as well figure 30+ minutes for a cop. But if they get a chance to fire there weapons of beat somebody up you can have 15+ cops in a matter of a few minutes... So while it is a good thought, times have changed and the 12 you are being judged by just might put you in a place where you will get a large boyfriend..... 99% of the time there are other outs besides excessive force.
Sad, but true. There are plently of good cops out there who are simply making a living and maintaining the peace, but there are also plenty of law enforcement officers that really just should not have the authority that they do.

I had a roomate back in college who, upon graduation, could be a conservation officer. I felt sorry for him, since he had kind of a rough time growing up. He was bullied and hassled quite a bit throughout grade school and highschool and had some family problems. I will spare everyone of minor details, but after observing some of his actions, it terrifies me that he might be a game warden right now!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Timmay2

Horrible that anyone would take the kids side.
Horrible that anyone would take the cop's side! JK, well, kinda
Old 12-15-2007, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I saw the video and all the guy had to do was give the officer his license but instead he tried to control the situation by telling the officer "uh no hold on" because he figured he could talk his way out of it with a large dose of BS.

Simple thing here folks, obey the Officers commands and things like this don't happen to you. First he wouldn't give his license then he failed to do every other command he gave after that as well, until he was tazerd of course THEN he started complying albeit unwillingly.

If you think you are going to control the situation when confronted by an Offficer doing his duty, then you will end up like this guy. I agree the Officer reacted too quickly, but if the guy had given him his license or even started looking for it, this would not have happened.
Tasers are meant to be used as an alternative to deadly force in a situation where the officers well being is at risk. I highly doubt, having not seen the video, that this guy stalling really qualified as a reason for the use of a taser.

After seeing the video:
The kid was in the wrong just as much as the officer. The officer did over react which lead to a fast esculation of events. I don't see where a taser was necessary. He could have just as easily restrained the kid and cuffed him.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:43 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TravisDj
Tasers are meant to be used as an alternative to deadly force in a situation where the officers well being is at risk.
This is incorrect. Tasers are not meant to be used as an alternative to deadly force. I hate to tell ya but if deadly force is required, it's going to be used. Where the taser falls on the use of force continuum differs depending on the department, but it generally falls between soft hands and hard hands. After that is baton or other impact weapons, then deadly force. The taser is to PREVENT having to use a higher degree of physical force where the violator or officer might get hurt.

What would you rather have, a taser or having to go to the hospital to get stitches or a cast? Pepper Spray and Taser are about in the same spot.

I don't know who told you that it's to replace deadly force, but that is completely wrong.

As for cops being bullied in school etc, or having power trips, give me a break. Maybe a small minority of them are like that but the ones I work with aren't even close.

Quick Reply: A REALLY good reason to keep your driver's license, reg., and insurance REAL handy