Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question for Army - Active Duty Senior Enlisted

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 11:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question for Army - Active Duty Senior Enlisted

got a few scenarios, just wondering.

daughter finished Basic while back, then AIT.

for AIT Christmas Leave (exodus?) departure day,
they got them up at 0230, ran PT, cleaned, did school, PT'ed
cleaned, then had them pack out their barracks.

they had all 200 kids (each with two Duffle Bags) muster in the break room (20x20) at 1930, and they were to stay there, and sleep there, until 0730 the next morning.

their leave started at 2359, so my wife went and picked her up ~0010.

now, she's finished AIT, at her duty station,
this morning, hurt her side doing PT, was limping, goes to Ssgt, he calls her bunch of cuss words, walks away without answering her.

goes to First Sgt, he takes her into the Captain (the Xo) office and the First Sgt (a E8) and the O3 commence to F-bombing her.

The Doc thinks she has stress fracture, and is scheduling the X-rays.

one girl was using a Asthma inhaler, and the Sgt was screaming at her 'stop all this drama and keep running'

I did my 20 in the Navy, and she was around Navy guys her whole life.
another girl in her company, her dad was senior enlisted in AF, they just can't believe the way the Sgt's cuss & scream and yell at them, and are only concerned about themself. I had some E7's who acted like that, but I adjusted them.

another story:
a friend has a son, 18 years in the Army, in the desert, he is getting out of the Army at the 18.5 year point, because he can't stand the stupidity of how they operate. he said it's one thing to do stupid stuff in the USA, but another thing to get stupid outside the wire.

just wondering.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'd tell her to go to the EO if it was really like that... or request mast. That sounds like garbage.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are you wondering? If its typical? I have many times while on active duty gotten by butt handed to me by someone higher on the food chain and most of the time they were able to do that with out even using a curse word and make me feel REAL bad. The worst one was a Battalion XO who thought I was trying to get out of going to Iraq by faking a medical problem.

As to your daughter. Cussing is inappropriate, but it is a part of the military. That being said, excessive use and the type of jack *** behavior sounds like its time for request mast.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 PM

If you are referring to her Drill Sergeants (I think that’s what the Army calls them) then they are not going to sympathize for her. It's all part of a front. She needs to go to medical and get checked out. As far as the XO and the 1st Sgt not doing anything, That’s BS! Their job is to take care of things like this! She needs to request mass if they do nothing about it.

As far as your buddy goes, I try to tell everyone looking at joining the Army to think it over VERY hard about it. After being in Iraq with them a few times and seeing how they function. It's not only a joke, but a disgrace to the U.S. They are the biggest joke the military has going. Not only do they allow pretty much anyone join, but they do not have high standards of those once they are in. They are undisciplined, careless slobs IMO.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM

I think that is a bit harsh, dont judge a complete service due to a bad experience you ahve had. And how can you call "any" Branch of the armed service a disgrace, it is your opinion and I respect that, but I do suggest you watch what you say about the people that protect your freedoms, unless of course you want to do the job yourself. Also they are not called drill Sgts once you get to your duty station. And the harsh realization is that is what happens, especially to "cherries", it is not fair at all but it is a part of the initiation process. In the units I was a part of their were a lot of new soldiers that didnt want to be in the service anymore so they would fake injury. Obviously this is not the case in this instance, and that is why you go thru the proper chain of command, if that doesnt work she needs to go to the Inspector Generals office, and believe me they will see that it gets corrected real quick. Good luck and I hope everything turns out well for her...

As far as your buddy goes, I try to tell everyone looking at joining the Army to think it over VERY hard about it. After being in Iraq with them a few times and seeing how they function. It's not only a joke, but a disgrace to the U.S. They are the biggest joke the military has going. Not only do they allow pretty much anyone join, but they do not have high standards of those once they are in. They are undisciplined, careless slobs IMO.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-20-2008, 12:23 PM

By the way the bottom part of my messeage is a quote from "Bansh-eman"
Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a senior NCO, if I had anyone within my command structure cuss one of my troops, I'd haul them up by their stacking swivels and insure that an IG complaint was filed. In the old days, when it was an all male organization, it was a bit different. Now that the military is co-ed, that crap ain't gonna fly. From what I see, she has a valid complaint.
All of the military is streched thin right now. We have a bunch of people in leadership positions that, at any other time, wouldn't be leading one fourth of the troops they now have. Lots of "leaders" out there without the maturity of age and skill sets that are developed over time. The first shirts job is the welfare of his enlisted soldiers. The XOs job is the officers.
Before I really get on a soap box, I will quit.

Shortround out
Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM

Amen to that Shortround...
Old 02-20-2008, 12:42 PM

if she went to the ssgt during pt then his reaction was pretty typical in my opinion, not saying it was right, it isnt, just typical. you did 20 in the navy so you know about malingerers. im not saying your daughter is one of those people. as far as the way she was treated by her XO and First Sgt, that is total BS. it sounds like she has done this already but she needs to go to sick call or call and make an appointment with her PCM (primary care provider). also she should be able to request a meeting with the CO without requesting mast. to me it sounds like she would want to solve the problem without making big waves.

HM2 Kucera
Old 02-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
got a few scenarios, just wondering.

daughter finished Basic while back, then AIT.

for AIT Christmas Leave (exodus?) departure day,
they got them up at 0230, ran PT, cleaned, did school, PT'ed
cleaned, then had them pack out their barracks.

they had all 200 kids (each with two Duffle Bags) muster in the break room (20x20) at 1930, and they were to stay there, and sleep there, until 0730 the next morning.

their leave started at 2359, so my wife went and picked her up ~0010.
You know that the "Exedus" is a very complicated thing to pull off. Thousands of troops, all needing to go someplace, all at the same time.

Hurry up and wait is enevitable.

BCT and AIT are a lot easier today than 30 years ago. I was one of those Drills back in '76 and made it a lot harder.

now, she's finished AIT, at her duty station,
this morning, hurt her side doing PT, was limping, goes to Ssgt, he calls her bunch of cuss words, walks away without answering her.

goes to First Sgt, he takes her into the Captain (the Xo) office and the First Sgt (a E8) and the O3 commence to F-bombing her.

The Doc thinks she has stress fracture, and is scheduling the X-rays.

one girl was using a Asthma inhaler, and the Sgt was screaming at her 'stop all this drama and keep running'
Is there more to this story? You may find there is.

The XO was probably an O-2 1LT, if the CO was a CPT O-3.

The same question for the other slodier - is there more to the story?

I did my 20 in the Navy, and she was around Navy guys her whole life.
another girl in her company, her dad was senior enlisted in AF, they just can't believe the way the Sgt's cuss & scream and yell at them, and are only concerned about themself. I had some E7's who acted like that, but I adjusted them.
The Navy or the Air Force are very much different from the Army. Also will depend on the type of unit she is in. Some are better, some worse.

another story:
a friend has a son, 18 years in the Army, in the desert, he is getting out of the Army at the 18.5 year point, because he can't stand the stupidity of how they operate. he said it's one thing to do stupid stuff in the USA, but another thing to get stupid outside the wire.

just wondering.

Getting out at 18.5 years is a very interesting decision. Most any of us could stick out 18 months - to make 20 years.

My son, who knows nothing but the Army, served five years and got out. His choice. The military is not for everyone.

Hal
Old 02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As an AF 1st sgt, it is difficult for me to envision this happening as described. Not saying it did or didn't, but hard to understand.

I have to agree with the Command Sgt. Major above. I'd like to hear the other side of the story too... having said that, if what was presented was only half true, I'd have some issues with the command structure and their behavior too. That was inappropriate at the least.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BradyQB
I think that is a bit harsh, dont judge a complete service due to a bad experience you ahve had. And how can you call "any" Branch of the armed service a disgrace, it is your opinion and I respect that, but I do suggest you watch what you say about the people that protect your freedoms, unless of course you want to do the job yourself. Also they are not called drill Sgts once you get to your duty station. And the harsh realization is that is what happens, especially to "cherries", it is not fair at all but it is a part of the initiation process. In the units I was a part of their were a lot of new soldiers that didnt want to be in the service anymore so they would fake injury. Obviously this is not the case in this instance, and that is why you go thru the proper chain of command, if that doesnt work she needs to go to the Inspector Generals office, and believe me they will see that it gets corrected real quick. Good luck and I hope everything turns out well for her...

As far as your buddy goes, I try to tell everyone looking at joining the Army to think it over VERY hard about it. After being in Iraq with them a few times and seeing how they function. It's not only a joke, but a disgrace to the U.S. They are the biggest joke the military has going. Not only do they allow pretty much anyone join, but they do not have high standards of those once they are in. They are undisciplined, careless slobs IMO.
[/QUOTE]

The Army very well is a disgrace to the armed services to anyone that has served from another branch. The tactics and carelessness of the soldiers and their leaders get people killed. They are more worried about being lazy and going home rather then doing there job, and insuring those around them are doing the same. Now I understand this isn’t the case with 100% of the soldiers out there but there are too many that follow this path and they allow the junior soldiers to do the same.

It's funny you say that "I do suggest you watch what you say about the people that protect your freedoms, unless of course you want to do the job yourself." because I am currently active duty and have served and done the job my self. And by the looks of it I'm getting ready to go back once again. So don't preach to the choir about being grateful yadda yadda yadda. Been there, done that, and going back for 3rd's

I also realize that the army doesn’t call them drill sergeants after boot camp. That’s why I asked him if this was her drill sergeants. He wasn't clear on if she was at her unit and this happened or still at bootcamp/ats or what ever you guys call it in the Army.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:06 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wolfcsm

BCT and AIT are a lot easier today than 30 years ago. I was one of those Drills back in '76 and made it a lot harder.

Hal

Amen to that
Old 02-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Army...They are the biggest joke the military has going. Not only do they allow pretty much anyone join, but they do not have high standards of those once they are in. They are undisciplined, careless slobs IMO.
that's what I tried to tell her. the Army is paying for $20,000 for anyone with a pulse, and she has to deal with it, if she wants her $20,000.

By the way the bottom part of my message is a quote from "Bansh-eman"
just go EDIT your post and put a [quote] in front of it.

your post is right on, she is in a MOS with a lot of girls, and alot of the girls are getting pregnant to get out the company they are in ( and the Army, this one taste has been bad enough )

Originally Posted by shortround
As a senior NCO....

From what I see, she has a valid complaint.
All of the military is stretched thin right now. We have a bunch of people in leadership positions that, at any other time, wouldn't be leading one fourth of the troops they now have. Lots of "leaders" out there without the maturity of age and skill sets that are developed over time.

exactly. when i was a Dept Senior Enlisted, i was on my top three (top 3 enlisted ranks) harder than anyone else.

my E5's & 6 would come tell me if they seen one of my E7's acting up.

i stressed to her that the War, manning, recruiting, bonuses, retention and a soft economy all contribute to people staying in the Military when they should have been weeded out.

i was told they are letting more people thru Boot Camp than they should: lowering the standards, to meet the numbers, to look good on paper.

i did tell her to watch her Sgts & Supervisors, and learn the good habits from the bad, and use the good habits when she gets senior.

Originally Posted by ThatGuy34
if she went to the ssgt during pt then his reaction was pretty typical in my opinion, not saying it was right, it isn't, just typical. you did 20 in the navy so you know about malingerers. I'm not saying your daughter is one of those people. as far as the way she was treated by her XO and First Sgt, that is total BS.
HM2 Kucera
thanks for weighing in, Doc. i pretty much gave her the "you are all malingers, as far as they are concerned" speech, and told her to come early, stay later, and work harder than anyone else to remove that cloud from her head.

Originally Posted by Wolfcsm
You know that the "Exedus" is a very complicated thing to pull off. Thousands of troops, all needing to go someplace, all at the same time.

Hurry up and wait is inevitable.

Is there more to this story? You may find there is.

The XO was probably an O-2 1LT, if the CO was a CPT O-3.

The same question for the other soldier - is there more to the story?

The Navy or the Air Force are very much different from the Army. Also will depend on the type of unit she is in. Some are better, some worse.

My son, who knows nothing but the Army, served five years and got out. His choice. The military is not for everyone.

Hal

woo hoo - welcome to the forum, have you been lurking, and you just had to weigh in on this one?

good point, and solid questions. i highly doubt that my daughter would lie to me. she might tell me she hates me and wishes i would ___ (fill in the blank), or that i am an idiot,
but she ain't much on lieing. see no reason she would start now.

the XO is an 03/Capt, so he is prolly feeling his oats, and trying to emulate his First Shirt - and doesn't know his First Sgt is way off base.

thanks for your thoughts guys, really means alot. i guess it is just that i can't "run up there and fix it" like i could when they were younger.
and the fact that i know how a good unit should run, whether Army, AF, or Navy: people first - because you need the people to do the mission.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
If you are referring to her Drill Sergeants (I think that’s what the Army calls them) then they are not going to sympathize for her. It's all part of a front. She needs to go to medical and get checked out. As far as the XO and the 1st Sgt not doing anything, That’s BS! Their job is to take care of things like this! She needs to request mass if they do nothing about it.

You must be from the Air Force.

Had an Air Force master Sergeant tell me that his folks were special and needed to be seperate from the Army soldiers I had this summer in Al Taqaddum. Made sure he understood that they were not special and would have both Army and Air Force people living in the area.

I do take exception to your branding the Army a DISCRACE.

There is only one other service beside the Army who can take and hold things and that is the Marines. The other services and those who are not grunts in the Army or Marines are support for the grunts - NOTHING MORE!

Hal

Quick Reply: Question for Army - Active Duty Senior Enlisted