Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

question about using relays

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about using relays

If i were going to install relays, much like the headlight relay diagrams that are on the site, where does the fuse go?

According the diagrams drawn out and posted on the site, the fuse is between the headlight switch and the relay, not the battery and the headlight.

If i were going to put my headache racks lights on relays, can i have the fuse in between the switch and the relay, or does it need to be in between the relay and the battery? The setup that i want to do is as follows:

battery--fuse--switch--relay--lights. Does this work, and is the system protected?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:39 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

It depends on which part of the circuit you wish to protect.
fuse between the switch and relay, will protect the smaller wires from overload if the relay goes bad.
fuse between the battery and relay will protect the battery and heavier wires if the lights get shorted.
My advise. protect both.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Fuse goes between the power source (ie, battery) and the relay.
Tap the switch for the relay control.

MikeyB
Old 01-27-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
It depends on which part of the circuit you wish to protect.
fuse between the switch and relay, will protect the smaller wires from overload if the relay goes bad.
fuse between the battery and relay will protect the battery and heavier wires if the lights get shorted.
My advise. protect both.
Thats kinda what i was thinking. I'm building a new switch/control panel for all my electrical stuff, and i'm doing as much wiring as i can inside, since its snowing out and i have a broken leg.

so in theory, i could use use a smaller amp fuse inbetween the switch and relay, since there is less amperage in there, and larger fuse between the relay and lights, since there is more of a load there, right?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:44 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by EClancy
Thats kinda what i was thinking. I'm building a new switch/control panel for all my electrical stuff, and i'm doing as much wiring as i can inside, since its snowing out and i have a broken leg.

so in theory, i could use use a smaller amp fuse inbetween the switch and relay, since there is less amperage in there, and larger fuse between the relay and lights, since there is more of a load there, right?
correct.
If the individual switches are non-critical, you could fuse your panel instead of individual switches. HOWEVER, if a switch or relay go bad, you will loose power to everything in the panel.