Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Question about concealed carry

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about concealed carry

I've got a trip coming up from here in SD to the right coast and I'm thinking about carrying my pistol the whole way, then storing it under lock & key in the house that I'll be staying at until driving back a couple weeks later.
I'm an AK resident where they don't require an actual permit to carry concealed...you just have to be legal (ie, not a felon) to carry. I also have a SD issued CCW permit. Problem is, the state I'll be staying in and a couple of the ones I'm driving through don't have reciprocity with SD or AK.
After reading madhat's post herehttps://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=224745 and thinking about all the nutjob's out there these days, and the fact that my wife and two young sons will be with me too, I want my weapon with me.
I've got insurance on my vehicle, why can't I have it on my hip too???
Anyway my question is, who has done this before, and do you continue to do it knowing the risk involved?
Maybe I should have made this a poll instead, but I'm just looking for some input.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:54 PM

I know in pa to carry you need a permit and you are not alowed to carry across state lines. I don't know about any other states though sorry.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Take this one over to the weapon forum...

http://www.gun-forums.com/
Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't move these threads between sites like you move them from one forum to the other here, can you?

J/C

chaikwa.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:44 AM

The biggest issue is Canada .
As for state to state , keep the ammo & gun looked in separate containers and as far from driver as possible , like trunk , trailer .
If there is any indication that they may want to search , tell them up front , there is some legal protection about carry unloaded weapons to & from 2 points , the big issue is loaded and accessible to occupants .
Check the NRA site to see the rules / laws , its best to have the facts .

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/
Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 AM

Id reather be judged by 12 than carry'd by 6
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 AM

I recently got a notification concerning bringing a pistol into Canada. The gist was to not do it, even if it's used for hunting. The article said Canada's not keen on handguns.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM

I have a CCW for NC and it is honored in every state I travel through except MD, but I still carry while traveling through. I just don't stop while traveling through. There is what is known as "Peaceable Journey" which should allow you to bring your handgun through the state for travel. If it were me I'd look into Open carry laws for the states that do not honor your CCW for SD.

Here are a couple good site to reference, but keep in mind that they may have inaccurate data and you should reference local and state laws.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
http://www.opencarry.com

It looks like only a few states along your way to east coast are licensed open carry states, all others you should be fine with.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Buckshotram
Id reather be judged by 12 than carry'd by 6
That is pretty much the way I look at it as well but I am very careful in states that do not honor my license. The way I see it is, don't give an Officer in ANY state a reason to look for one. Don't break any traffic laws, be an upstanding law abiding citizen and you really have little to be worried about.

I will do what it takes to defend my self and my loved ones and if I am out of state and an Officer asks if I have a weapon he will get an honest answer from me. I would MUCH rather deal with the issue honestly and take what comes of it than to leave myself vulnerable to criminals.

I know that a lot of people will say that the chances of you ever need a gun for any reason are stacked so high that there is no need to carry at all. But I have been involved with a coupe instances already where my weapon saved my life.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

I know that a lot of people will say that the chances of you ever need a gun for any reason are stacked so high that there is no need to carry at all. But I have been involved with a coupe instances already where my weapon saved my life.
Amen to that one Larry!! If only more folks used their heads!!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
I recently got a notification concerning bringing a pistol into Canada. The gist was to not do it, even if it's used for hunting. The article said Canada's not keen on handguns.
Wish they would come up with some kind of permit/allowance for us traveling thru canada.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:45 PM

Wink

I have my CCW in NC and carry all the time. When I travel I have my BUG close by while going through states that do not honor the NC laws of carry. I really feel that if you are honest and are not doing something stupid you will be on your merry way. Remember that most (not all) cops are CCW holders too outside of work. When your life, or your familys life is at stake. That gun in the trunk with the ammo in the lockable storage under the seat is no use. Be smart, and keep it concealed. Good Luck, and stop by NC. You will feel the greatness/freedom we have here for the 2nd Amendment
Old 12-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I know that a lot of people will say that the chances of you ever need a gun for any reason are stacked so high that there is no need to carry at all.
My argument to them is, that is true. BUT, the consequences of not having a gun when you need it are dire. Therefore, as any condition that has low probability and extremely high risk, proper measures must be taken.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Banned

Do not attempt to cross into Canada with a weapon.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:03 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by Moose10
Anyway my question is, who has done this before, and do you continue to do it knowing the risk involved?
Because I am always hauling my trailer it is very easy for me to "forget" what I have in my "house". Might be a little more difficult to "forget" what you have in your truck but::
Originally Posted by Buckshotram
Id rather be judged by 12 than carry'd by 6
Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Wish they would come up with some kind of permit/allowance for us traveling thru canada.
Yup. Would be nice. Even before I retired I couldnt bring one through. Used to mail them to my daughters in Seattle than mail them from Seattle to home when heading back.

Quick Reply: Question about concealed carry