Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Plumber ? - Whats the cost to rough in a few bathroom things in basement

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plumber ? - Whats the cost to rough in a few bathroom things in basement

I got two $1800 quotes from two seperate reputable plumbers, locally owned businesses. Both stated 4 hours of work, 1 man.

I'm finishing my basement and need to rough in plumbing for a toilet, vanity and bath/shower. I have all the vanity/toilet, shower, fixtures and stuff bought, just need someone to get all the pipe, soder, fittings together, labor basically etc...

Am I crazy, or is this just out of whack or something?

I'm gonna do it myself, I can sweat pipe, just don't have time off from work to do all this right now. Figured it'd run $300-400? as all the existing supply lines are directly on top of everything, just need to run the lines down basically.

Gonna get 2 more quotes, I don't mind paying a man for his time, but this seems ridiculous.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
4hrs of work and you are supplying all the parts? 1800/4=$450 an hour! CRAZY. find an out of work plumber and get it done cheaper.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:27 PM

That's pretty insane!

However i know in our area, plumbers are in short supply - no one's going into it as a profession, and it's apparent why: dirty job, nasty working conditions (want to stay dry...?) and pretty risky. Sweating pipe near combustable materials in someone else's house creates a need for good insurance, skill, and risk managment all the time.

So, you may be facing a steep price if you have it done. I have a neighbor who has offered to do any work I need (and is a liscened plumber), I haven't asked his labor price yet - didn't want to be impolite. But I will as before I give him work.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:46 PM

3 rules to be a plummer; hot on the left, stuff rolls downhill, and dont bite your fingernails.

$1800 for an actual rough in isnt too bad considering you need to rent a hammer, dispose of the concrete, find existing plumbing without damaging it, hook everything up and re-pour the concrete. If someone shows up with EVERYTHING they need it could be done in a short day but doing it yourself could incur more costs than originally estimated. You can hook up the sink and toilet once the rough in is done, thats easy but I would let someone with insurance do the cement and underground work.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there any concrete cutting evolved? Truck cost about $80.00/hr, insurance, permit, around $40.00/hr for 2 men, 15% O&P.......I usually only do commercial work........that would be about right.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 AM

There is no cement or underground work needed or no digging, the shower and toilet drain were already put in when the house was built, just have to take the duct tape off the toilet, and then put a U trap on the shower.

I just need someone to run the 4-5ft lines straight down for vanity and toilet thru my studded 2x4 wall, the shower is the same, as the tub upstairs is directly below it for water lines.

Its a pretty easy job. I priced copper 5ft is $12 or so, I can't see the price of cooper causing the issue.

Oh, the sewer drain vent tube to the roof is right above the vanity also.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
do you go to church?

i have found the retired men at my church know how to do about anything

some old codgers talk the talk, but some of them REALLY know how to do stuff.

with you working and them watching, and no concrete work, this sounds like you could handle it yourself with some guidance.

once you make the first cut in the drywall, it's on! just grab hold and do it.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Don't use copper. Use PEX. You can get all the tools and the supplies online for a fraction of the cost. Will take minutes to do a rough in. pexsupply.com
Old 10-22-2009, 12:22 PM

jlipskoc,
Appears noone is reading your posts or just wants to talk about plumbing in general.
From what you've said, unless there's a big part of the equation missing (shouldn't be if they quoted you for 4hrs work), $1800 is a complete ripoff.
I guess that's the going rate if a plumber want's to make a week's wage off of a half day job.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 PM

If the rough in (pipes under the cement) is done, you just need some basic pipes ran. Not a difficult job to do yourself, but $1,800 is alot for the work that needs to be done. I would do the plastic pipe over copper, they even have copper to plastic adapters. You can get everything from Home depot.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by jlipskoc
I got two $1800 quotes from two seperate reputable plumbers, locally owned businesses. Both stated 4 hours of work, 1 man.

I'm finishing my basement and need to rough in plumbing for a toilet, vanity and bath/shower. I have all the vanity/toilet, shower, fixtures and stuff bought, just need someone to get all the pipe, soder, fittings together, labor basically etc...

Am I crazy, or is this just out of whack or something?

I'm gonna do it myself, I can sweat pipe, just don't have time off from work to do all this right now. Figured it'd run $300-400? as all the existing supply lines are directly on top of everything, just need to run the lines down basically.

Gonna get 2 more quotes, I don't mind paying a man for his time, but this seems ridiculous.
Originally Posted by jlipskoc
There is no cement or underground work needed or no digging, the shower and toilet drain were already put in when the house was built, just have to take the duct tape off the toilet, and then put a U trap on the shower.

I just need someone to run the 4-5ft lines straight down for vanity and toilet thru my studded 2x4 wall, the shower is the same, as the tub upstairs is directly below it for water lines.

Its a pretty easy job. I priced copper 5ft is $12 or so, I can't see the price of cooper causing the issue.

Oh, the sewer drain vent tube to the roof is right above the vanity also.
You've got to be missing something. I can't believe they would try and stick it to you that hard. This is what I am getting from your posts.
What you need installed
1-water closet flange
1-P-trap and grid shower drain
1-shower valve
3-stubout's 2 for the lav, and one for the w/c
Run vent's, do you have vent's stubbed up out of the concrete for the w/c and shower?

Not having seen it I'd say 4 hours is a decent estimate of time. The price however seems much too high. Around here most shop's charge on average around $100 an hour. Some have other fee's such as drive time or charge for use of special tools. It's common to mark up the cost of material's, but I'd still say that estimate is about $600-1000 high. What are the existing material's being used for the waste and the water? Will this work be inspected? Did they give you written quotes or verbal? I'd be interested to see what the breakdown of material and labor is?

Post some picture's of the bathroom area and the existing piping.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Banned

Went and looked at the cost to me to provide rough in on a project which was suppose to be roughed in and was not. Sounds like mine was stubbed out about like yours. For three toilets, one urinal, two lavs, copper water, PVC vents, one Back Flow manifold, 8 copper straps, insulators to protect the copper from the metal studs.......commercial project.......$1700.00. Cost approved by Mechanical Engineer and Architect. Forgot.......also roughed in a mop sink and the hole for the drain had to be chipped out on one side......slab was second floor....had to protect the office equipment on the first floor.......slab is 6" thick......took plumber and helper 14 hours to compete the job.