Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Picked up a new project

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up a new project

So I decided to drive up to Toledo this last weekend and pick up a new project, some may say "toy". Could not resist the price on the machine and the guy had no calls on it after two days so I told him I wanted it. One heck of a rough ride through Ohio and picked up this,

It's a 51' model and definetly in need of some attention. Got a second motor with it though which is good cause the original is locked up pretty tight. Got her soaking with about an inch of pb blaster and diesel fuel mix in each cylinder but looks like I'll have to drop the crank and beat pistons out with a 2x4 or something.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That's cool, looks like it will keep you busy with the wire brushes. One of the guys at work dragged in a mid '60's Lincoln with a 2 cylinder Wisconsin. Thankfully it was stored inside so it was in a lot better shape than yours. Still got the original paint. Fresh gas and a little playing with the timing got it going - somehow it wound up with 51 degrees of advance, it was kicking back when the plugs fired. Sounds pretty cool because it's a 180/540 firing engine like an old John Deere.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:23 AM
JKM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Sounds pretty cool because it's a 180/540 firing engine like an old John Deere.
A poppin Johnny! I would love to find an old styled or unstyled A to restore.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Chapter President

The sheet metal on her is sure rusty. The hood has rusted through in some spots but I can pick up a piece of 16 gauge for $38 and found a place that will form a new hood for $70. Going to use another piece and make a new face plate and while the shop is making my hood I'm gonna ask about the cost of doing the shroud over the radiator. Then I'll have all new sheet. The pipefitter I've been working with for the last few months has a buddy that does powder coating and told me that he can get a motorcycle frame sandblasted and powdered for $125 so I'll be getting with his guy to powder coat the frame, all the sheet and most likely the generator housings. Just not to sure on the color though.

Originally I wanted to powder the frame a metallic black and do all the sheet out of stainless, until I checked the price on a 4x8 sheet of 16G S.S, ouch, even at my cost I could not justify it. So actually thinking about gloss metallic black with silver sheet.

The old poppin' John, that is a sweet sounding engine for sure. I love hearing them ol' things at the tractor pulls.