Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Opinions please on Flu Shots

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Opinions please on Flu Shots

I have the opportunity at work, as a first responder, to get a flu shot. The H1N1 flu stuff is in the news all the time.

I have never had a flu shot and rarely get sick. I tend to want to stay away from stuff like that and let my body fight the infection, if needed. I guess in some way im afraid it will, GIVE, me the flu or somehow weaken my body's ability to fight infection.

Please set me straight. Should I get the shot or go with the, "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality"? Thanks.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
Administrator

My opinion; https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...49&postcount=5

chaikwa.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i never have gotten because i dont want the flu and it seems when some people get the shot they get sick. i just eat a crap load of peppers and it keeps me from getting sick about 99% of the time
Old 10-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
hey brother. when I was active duty, they made us get the flu shot every year. about 4-5 days after the shot EVERY YEAR I would be sicker than a dog. Been out almost 10 years now and only been sick a couple times and NO SHOTS. To be honest, i think that swine flu (h1n1) is blown out of proportion.

I agree with CD in NM. I refuse to get any flu shots. I had an appointment a couple weeks ago at the VA and had to refuse it 3 times. I work for the govt and they are trying to push it down our throats and I am pushing back. aint gettin it!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a flu shot early this year and I still came down with the flu. That time I was only sick for a couple days and not an entire week.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 PM

I have had them for over 10 years, if everyone got them there would be no flu, I have had some minor symptoms of flu but never as sick as when I didnt get shots, I believe in them, maybe just because im older, not dirt digging old, but old enough, they work.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:00 AM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

I never have gotten them, and never will. I'll let my body build up antibodies on it's own. The way god and mother nature intended. Eat right, get out in the sun, love your family, be happy and work hard. That's all the immunization I need.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:22 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I always get a flu shot. Last year the GF was really miserable, and I never got sick. I really think the benefit outweighs the risk.

I am also eligible for a free H1N1 shot, and plan to do it on Tuesday.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:11 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I think the H1N1 is really loaded with microscopic robots so big brother can control us. Prepare for assimilation!

On a serious side. Even with me historically being against flu shots, I'd seriously consider one if I had to respond to treat people with the volume of 911 calls for people complaining about flu symptoms. Glad I live in the woods.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:35 AM

I always get a flu shot and never have had any problems with it, mostly just a day where you feel crappy, nothing a couple advil can't fix.

I went on vacation with my girlfriend and her family to St. Simons Is, Ga last week to go to my girlfriends cousins wedding. Somewhere in the middle of all that I got the swine flu.

I'm not a germophobe and crazy with avoiding sick folks or using sanitizers after touching a doorknob. I do wash my hands when needed, before eating, after shaking hands or touching sick folks. I have always prepped the towels so I don't have to retouch the faucet, plus I use a towel to open the bathroom door in public places but I certainly won't freak out if someone coughs or sneezes nearby.

Anyway, H1N1 is no fun, I've been running a fever between 100.5 to 102 since Wednesday evening with Tylenol or Advil. The couple times I've forgot the Advil, I was quickly reminded when my temp started going over 103 and nearing 104 (did that once, the shadows were moving funny, got scared and took a cold shower). The Dr gave me Tamiflu which I hope is helping. I'm either sweating a lot or freezing and right now I really want to throw up. Plus all the aches, pains (boy its really killing my leg and knee that was broke a couple years ago), plus the horrible sore throat!

I think if you have the opportunity to get the vaccine, go for it!
Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Sorry to hear it Dave, good luck.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I always get the flu shot every year since we have so many people traveling to the far east and bringing back crap. The one year I didn't get the flu shot, I got the flu.

And now we people sick in my work area due to the flu.

MikeyB
Old 10-11-2009, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Fiftygrit
... if everyone got them there would be no flu...
If everyone got them we'd probably see more people with less resistance to more things. Have you ever noticed that we now have more kids allergic to more stuff, more people that get sick at the drop of a hat, and more diseases popping up every year? Part of the problem, I believe, is that we have become such a 'take a pill - get a shot' society, that we no longer have any natural resistance to anything. And for every disease we eliminate, there are 2 more that are discovered. (I believe there's something in the Bible about this, but I'm not overly religious so I can't say for sure)

Anyway, when it's your time, it's your time. And there ain't no shot for that!

chaikwa.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Seems like the opinions are divided pretty evenly....for and against. I think im gonna pass on it. If im not broke, don't fix me..

Old 10-11-2009, 01:51 PM

No shots for me.

I cannot attest to this companies claim of their products getting rid of the H1N1 Virus...nor am I affiliated with them in any way...

But I have tested two of their products personally and have recommended them to several customer's of mine, with great results! They all had allergy problems.

RGF Environment Group.

I had severe allergies, and tried all of the prescribed allergy medicine's that were available. All of the side effects of them were worse then the allergies at times.

If you have the time, read through their website.

Quick Reply: Opinions please on Flu Shots