Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Old Tractor Clutch Stuck...Any Tricks? Ferguson TO-20

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when you park the tractor for any length of time block the petal down to prevent the clutch from sizeing
Old 04-28-2009, 10:08 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just out of curiousity... you sure you got all the linkage between the peddle and the clutch?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

#1.... The WD-40 was free. I didn't acquire a free can of PB Blaster until tonight. Stocking up on general supplies, we are allowed to bring home partial cans of stuff as long as we don't abuse it.

I am 100% sure I have the linkage working correctly because I can see the TO bearing moving. I actually bent the drawbar into a horseshoe I was yanking so hard. It was to the point I was afraid I would break tranny parts so I quit for now.

While I have everyones attention, what's good stuff to use to flush the hydro system for the bucket? My old farmer neighbor told me to use diesel fuel. I think I am just going to get a 5 gal bucket of light weight hydro oil and run it through but he said I must have money to burn.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:38 AM

hey I'll take a look around for that oil bath air cleaner I might have one or a neighbor might.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by Joseph Filippi
hey I'll take a look around for that oil bath air cleaner I might have one or a neighbor might.
That would be great! Just let me know what you want for it.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel works fine.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by matego
While I have everyones attention, what's good stuff to use to flush the hydro system for the bucket? My old farmer neighbor told me to use diesel fuel. I think I am just going to get a 5 gal bucket of light weight hydro oil and run it through but he said I must have money to burn.
Have you seen something specific in the fluid that you're trying to flush out or just freshening the fluids?

On my old dozer, I just drained everything that I could and then put in fresh fluid and filters. If you're concerned about moisture, check out a product called TransTune by SeaFoam. It's good at removing moisture from the system.

As far as pulling the tractor to break the clutch loose, it's not so much a matter of how hard you pull as much as rocking it back and forth to break loose the rust between the shaft and clutch spline.

Good luck with it.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
As far as pulling the tractor to break the clutch loose, it's not so much a matter of how hard you pull as much as rocking it back and forth to break loose the rust between the shaft and clutch spline.

Good luck with it.
Most stuck cluches are not rusted tight to the input shaft. The are stuck too the flywheel and sometimes nothing will break them loose until you split the tractor and physically pry it from the flywheel. Been there and done that. Just did it with a Massey 165, main clutch was rusted to the flywheel and was stuck pretty good, PTO clutch was oil soaked. Nothing we did, field work, pulled it back and forth with another tractor to try and shock the clutch loose would do it.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM

If you can access anyplace to squirt some KROIL onto the clutch/flywheel area you may be able to get it to break free. Soak them good, you have nothing to loose, I'd order a gallon on line, and you'll have enough to last a long time.

I've soaked steering clutches on a couple of small Cats for a few days and was able to free them up. That's a series of disc and plate that all have to slide in some pretty fine notches.begfor they work properly
Old 04-29-2009, 01:28 PM

You might get a suprise, when you split it. The clutch froze up on dads old 8n ford, and we couldn't get it free to save us so we gave up and split it,when we got it apart, there was about a bushel of mouse nest in there, they had watered down the clutch,and flywheel, so bad, that it might as well been welded together.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:10 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Well, she broke loose yesterday. I had a wood block wedged in to keep the clutch pedal down and I was using the bucket to scrape up some green bryers. I hurried up and hosed out the clutch with 2 cans of brake clean to try and get the pb blaster out.

By the way, diesel worked great to flush out the hydro system. The new oil looks great and it helped me find 2 leaking hoses that didn't leak with hydro oil but did with diesel. Need to get them replaced.

Thanks for the help guys.