Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Northern Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Northern Texas

Can someone that lives up north tell me about the crime and school districts. I'm young (23) and want to relocate to Mckinney. My family and I went on a few vacations and so far love it.(coming from southern CA) I want to raise my kids in a better place. Just wanted to know if its bad there too. I can sell my home and buy a home there outright. Which is huge for my age, point being, job pay wouldn't really matter, I know the wages are lower.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shoot another member a PM so he can give you hand in answering these questions. So hopefully he will get you an answer soon!

Michael
Old 02-23-2007, 03:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like North Texas and want to live in a Suburban environment, there are plenty of choices here in Dallas/Ft. Worth.

Pretty much any of the wealthy newer/growing suburbs will probably work well for you. Grapevine, Rockwall, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Melissa, Prosper are a few to consider. To my knowledge they all have low crime rates and good schools.

I think the salaries here in N. Texas are actually probably better than S. Cali in relation to the cost of living. There is plenty of opportunity here, no doubt about that. If you have already been here and like it....Then C'mon.

Now, let me throw out the negatives. IF you love heat, you will love it here. It stays about 100 degrees from mid-June thru mid-September. The only comfortable activity to do outside here at that time of year is go swimming. Our main water supply lakes are low right now due to a lingering drought, but that improved alot in January. Hopefully the spring rains (if we get any) will help fill them.

There is plenty of traffic. Yesterday morning I drove from McKinney to downtown Dallas.........(about 30 miles)....I left at 7:30am and didnt get there until 8:50am. 1 hr 20 min. That sux.

If you like a large metropolitan area (basically a smaller scale of LA) then you will love it here. Traffic, traffic and more traffic.

Personally, I'd love to leave here and go someplace where they actually get 4 seasons (occasional snowfall with accumulation) and with alot less people. Money is not everything. I don't hate it here, but there has got to be a better quality of life somewhere else besides here. I'd look toward Springfield, MO area, Somewhere in Colorado, or Maybe Eastern Tennessee. I like hills and trees and less brutal summers. and Less people and traffic.