Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Next stop- sword control?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Next stop- sword control?

This is on the AP, it's about a guy who killed a burglar with a samurai sword. Where are Nancy Pelosi, Babar Boxer, Diankenstein and "bride of Chucky" Schumer to save us? It's ironic; shoot an armed felon breaking into your house while you're home and you face charges, but going out after someone in your garage with a samurai sword... :

BALTIMORE – A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a suspected burglar in a garage behind his off-campus home early Tuesday, hours after someone broke in and stole electronics.

Some shocked neighbors said they heard bloodcurdling screams in an area just blocks from the university. Police held the student, a junior chemistry major who turns 21 on Sunday, for several hours, but he was not charged with any crimes Tuesday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

Around 1:20 a.m., the student heard noises behind the home and noticed a door to the garage was open, Guglielmi said. He grabbed the sword and confronted the intruder — identified by police as Donald D. Rice, 49, a habitual offender who had just been released from jail.

Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.

"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.

Rice's left hand was nearly severed — Guglielmi described it as "hanging on by a thread" — and he suffered a severe cut to the upper body. He died at the scene.

On Monday, two laptops and a Sony PlayStation were stolen from the student's home, which he shares with three other students, but police were not sure whether Rice was responsible, Guglielmi said.

There was a pool of blood Tuesday morning in the brick courtyard between the back porch of the home and the garage. The courtyard was strewn with debris, including what looked like broken glass.

Guglielmi did not know why the student kept a sword. He said he may have had some martial arts training, but was not an expert.

Rice's criminal history includes more than two dozen arrests for burglary, breaking and entering and auto theft. According to court records, he was charged in 2007 after he pulled a gun on a police officer, though prosecutors placed those charges on hold because the officer was on military leave.

Rice was convicted in 2008 of unauthorized removal of property and sentenced to 18 months. He was released Saturday from the Baltimore County Detention Center.

Several nearby residents said the community has experienced a rash of petty crimes in recent months, including home, garage and vehicle break-ins. Many homes have bars on windows and stickers advertising alarm systems.

Michael Hughes, 43, said he was getting ready for bed when he heard the screams.

"There was fear in the voice. I could tell someone was scared," Hughes said.

Hughes called 911, and several police cars arrived while he was on the phone. Campus security officers and an off-duty city officer who were in the area responding to a suspicious person report also heard the screams.

The diverse neighborhood includes a mix of students, professors and families, said Hughes, who lives with his wife and young children and works for the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, which is on another campus across town.

"There seems to be a noticeable increase in crime in the neighborhood," Hughes said. "I am concerned for my family's safety."

Kenny Eaton, 20, a junior political science major at Hopkins who lives nearby, said there was some tension between students and lower-income residents of nearby communities. The private Johns Hopkins is known for its health and science research and has about 4,600 undergraduates on its main campus.

"You take kids who are paying $50,000 a year (in tuition) and then put them out in a very dangerous city environment, it's almost like a clash of civilizations," he said.

Three young men, including one in a Hopkins T-shirt, were sitting on the front porch of the home Tuesday morning. A police officer was standing in the doorway, and a single police car was parked nearby. The men refused to talk to an Associated Press reporter.

Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.

"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."

Guglielmi said police would consult with prosecutors about whether to file charges against the student. As in most states, self-defense in Maryland is defined by common law rather than by statute. People who confront intruders inside their homes have a greater degree of latitude to use force, and prosecutors consider whether to file charges in such incidents on a case-by-case basis.

"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."
Old 09-15-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
i dont know if i would have killed the robber, but the kid did what he had to and i wont miss anther pos thief in this world.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 PM

I believe in the "Castle Doctrine"- that your home is your castle and you have the right to defend it- but the write up indicates the kid went out with a sword (shows intent) AND no call to police before he began a-hackin'. I think he just stepped into it up to his neck.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
There Can Be Only One

Improvise - Adapt - Overcome

PS Reminds me of that Youtube video....
Now don't go Ninja-in' nobody that don't need Ninja-in'
Diamond Dave
Redneck Ninja Acadamy
Old 09-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Don't laugh, there is a movement in England to ban kitchen knives........ I am serious.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

I say good job kid.. One less thief in the world.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He did what his instinct told him to. I wouldn't have done it with a sword, but i wouldve rolled that thief. I don't have time for 911. I have even less time for cops. I live 15 min outside town, ain't nobody gonna get here in time. So I'm prepared for the worst while hoping for the best. Having big timid dogs helps too, though they only get timid around ppl when I'm not home or I'm inside the house. And its only ppl they don't recognize.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM

Hopkins campus is in a somewhat ghetto area (not the worst part of the city but nowhere near the best). I drive through it on the weekends for my part time job. Hopkins students are mostly bettering their lives to better society as a whole and they still can't catch a break from low life theives like Rice. Rice imo got what he deserves and the student should be applauded for his fight against crime. Scruff McGruff can't do it alone! Over 2 dozen arrests for burgulary??? Society has GAINED from this occurence. If this happened all over the city, I bet burgulary and home invasions would dramatically drop (same as if everyone were able to legally carry a gun, but thats another discussion). There is no reason for menacing acts as Rice seemed to make a career out of. People work hard for what they have and for someone to steal their belongings is simply ludicrous. Hats off to the brave JHU student.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:15 PM

So far nothing indicates Rice was the thief; he was A thief for sure. Society in general might be better off for his demise but the college kid will probably get steamrolled for having gone out after this guy with a samurai sword. He's gonna have to come up with a good story why he heard a noise, picked up a weapon and went out to confront a trespasser. Contary to some people's opinion, you can't kill someone for trespassing even if they're making off with your Playstation.

This may be the kid's only hope:

Rice was crouching beneath a counter, police said. The student asked him what he was doing and threatened to call police.
"When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," Guglielmi said.

The prosecution will ask why he didn't call the police before going out with a sword.

I know how we feel about our stuff. The law takes a more generous view. Most states don't allow the use of deadly force to protect property especially when no one is in immediate danger from the burglar. Yeah, I would've opened an economy-sized can of Big Boot on the guy, but I wouldn't have gone out with a deadly weapon without first calling 911 and letting them in on the happenings.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up here, our city wants to ban knives because of so many "incidents". That includes the Leatherman that I carry and use every day. Next thing they will try to ban will be fists, because people hit each other with them.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:20 PM

Score: Student: 1
Burgler: 0

Game over!

Hal
Old 09-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
The prosecution will ask why he didn't call the police before going out with a sword.

I know how we feel about our stuff. The law takes a more generous view. Most states don't allow the use of deadly force to protect property especially when no one is in immediate danger from the burglar. Yeah, I would've opened an economy-sized can of Big Boot on the guy, but I wouldn't have gone out with a deadly weapon without first calling 911 and letting them in on the happenings.
Let's review. He heard a noise and saw the door was open. Could be that the wind blew the door open and a raccoon was rummaging through the garbage cans. THAT's something I definitely want to call police for - not! If I do, what will their response be next time there is a real threat?

It doesn't sound to me like he had any basis to call the police until after finding the intruder and I DEFINITELY don't want to go investigate a raccoon without some sort of weapon (baseball bat, sword, gun, etc.) so it seems reasonable to me that he was armed but hadn't called 911.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by stinkindiesel
Susan Boswell, the dean of student life at Hopkins, said in a statement that she was "relieved to report that the student was not harmed," but she also advised other students not to follow the swordsman's example.

"If you ever suspect that there is a prowler in your residence or on your property, call 911 immediately," Boswell said. "Experts advise that you do not attempt to confront the intruder, but rather secure yourself in a locked area until police arrive."
Has anyone else noticed a trend towards encouraging dependence on law enforcement? This whole notion of "you go hide and let the intruder have the run of the place until the police come to protect you" just doesn't sit well with me. Mind you, I'm not advocating putting yourself into a known-dangerous situation but this increased reliance on law enforcement is giving the law breakers what they want - power and control over your life. They SHOULD be more afraid of you than you are of them but this is going the opposite direction. Am I missing something here?

As the old saying goes, When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:30 PM

I personally would never have used a sword for such as this.............................................. ........................only because I dont own one!

Good job to the student. He was protecting his home and property and did what had to be done.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
As soon as the burgalar lunged at the student he possed as a threat to do bodily harm. The student should be fine. Now if the student went to waching away at him, that is a different story.

Quick Reply: Next stop- sword control?