Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New Week, New Outlook Break Room 8/2-8/8

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 AM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Windows 10 FAIL. Errors during download. At least it didn't wipe out my computer.
Painting the inside of the storage shed white. Don't need a flash light anymore. Today's tasks? Get the muffler replaced on the 92 and hit the U-Pull-It for 01 parts.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Wow, what happened to the morning. Gone just getting organized to finish the RV wiring upgrade. In town buying parts. Got forced to work for an hour or so installing a workstation.

JWBM, if you take a dive with the weed wacker, roll over on your back and use it as an outboard motor. See if you can get on plane.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Took a personal day today standing by to help a family member. Turned out ok so far. I was just on the back deck talking to the wife. We have an electric flyswatter. I was chasing the sweat bees with it, giggling about the pop and crack when I got one. I stopped to clean the screen grid. Remember that numb thumb I've mentioned? Yea, it was on the button. POP ARC OOOWWW! That thing packs a wallop! I guess bug karma got me.....
Old 08-03-2015, 07:46 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
Took a personal day today standing by to help a family member. Turned out ok so far. I was just on the back deck talking to the wife. We have an electric flyswatter. I was chasing the sweat bees with it, giggling about the pop and crack when I got one. I stopped to clean the screen grid. Remember that numb thumb I've mentioned? Yea, it was on the button. POP ARC OOOWWW! That thing packs a wallop! I guess bug karma got me.....
Last week wasps bit me five times.
Yesterday while mowing the lawn I ran over the entrance of a different in ground nest. Bit twice. Argh!
Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Last week wasps bit me five times.
Yesterday while mowing the lawn I ran over the entrance of a different in ground nest. Bit twice. Argh!
Them ground bees have a pretty sharp sting. I remember when one of my sons was messing around in the woods near the field he was supposed to be working in and he disturbed a ground bee nest. He was running across the field with a swarm of bees like a football right behind him when he tripped and fell. The swarm went right over him and kept going. That was one lucky kid.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:39 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Wow, what happened to the morning. Gone JWBM, if you take a dive with the weed wacker, roll over on your back and use it as an outboard motor. See if you can get on plane.
I don't say "here, hold my beer" but I am just as open to intrigue.....
have a plastic tug boat for the pond that needs a drive lower unit hmmmmm.

still thinking of TG, dang. Faith and resum'e I guess. Positive thoughts and sausage to ya!

can t explain how funny it is to see tenant's 5 lb. Pomeranian and 8 lb.killer cat face off. pom runs (do they ever walk?) barking up to cat on steps; cat nonchalantly puts paw on puffy head. dog stops barking and lays down. I bet claws were involved.

yessirs- a lot of bees a foot this year. went to show inside of spare boiler (for sale) to guy. opened door, saw huge wasp nest. closed door silently and got road flare. all's I needed was a grenade ring in my teeth.....

surprising good day today, hope you all get one as well!
Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Good morning. Too early for coffee or ph00, so someone else can make it at a decent hour. Got lots on my mind so woke up thinking about the seemingly unresolvable problems. Not my problems per se, but I have been dragged into the mess and need to try to figure out what to do about OPM. (other peoples messes)

Does anybody know if I can "steal" one leg of a 220 volt circuit and run it to a 110 volt outlet? I have a ground wire that I can use. No codes will be violated because at this location there are no codes. The closest 110 volt circuit is a long way away from where I need this outlet, but do have this 220 volt outlet right there. Most of the stuff that will be plugged in here uses a two prong plug.

Yesterday got a good start on that shop compressed air system that I was asked to design and install. Only need to run it through three 7" thick concrete and brick walls. It is not much fun drilling holes for 3/4" pipe, especially while standing on top of a ladder. It's so much fun when the large concrete drill suddenly spits a cloud of dust directly into ones face and the particles fall down inside my shirt.

Heidi, that must have been a hoot when your cat shut Yappy down.

Now, how to shut the mind down and go back to sleep??????
Old 08-04-2015, 06:30 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Well, since Stanley did not start the coffee, I did. Ph00 - - t00. Yeh........................

Stan, simple answer to your question is yes. If you have an open slot in your box, pop in a new breaker and wire to it. That is how all your 120v lines work. If you don't, you will have to tap into an existing, but that gives you less protection on that new line. Run a new line of Roamex (3 wires) to the breaker and out to where you want it. Pretty simple.

I see the sun - - wow is it bright. Skies are almost completely clear for the first time in about 4 weeks - - amazing. Now maybe I can get some quick things done outside before heading out of here.

Have a great day.

Bob
Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Wots with this Stanley business all of a sudden? Have I been doing something wrong? Only my mother called me by my full name and then only when I was in trouble.

Bob, the problem is that if possible I do not want to run a new line. I's a pain in this location. If I pick up one leg of the 220 volt circuit, why is the 110 volt circuit not protected? After all, it still has one side of the 220 volt breaker.

Starting a bit later then normal today, but will be on the road in an hour.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:24 AM

Stan - - if we looked at our service as you just stated, we would not need any other breakers except the one double 120v (240v) on the service. Each run needs its own breaker. For one thing, if one circuit has a problem, only that one line goes down - - you don't have a 240v motor trying to run on 120. The "best" way is run a new circuit with its own breaker. The alternative is tap into an existing 120v circuit that is on its own breaker. There you have to determine how much load is all ready on that line and how much you are going to add.

I have not seen what you have, so kinda hard to give hard details - - STANLEY. LOL. Yeh, I remember those days - - ROBERT - - oooopppsss what did I do now - - go hide. LOL
Old 08-04-2015, 12:20 PM

I'm going to amplify Bob's remarks.

If you have a 220 volt line with a safety ground, no neutral, then using the safety ground for return is a safety violation. The problem is that a single fault can put full voltage on whatever or whoever is holding the appliance.

If there is a neutral, you can tap off one side of it. Indeed that is the way that many residential long circuits are run, only the breakers are independent. If the 110 device trips a 220 volt breaker, both legs will trip out, protecting, but also shutting down the motor.

To say it in another way, you can run a split 220 volt circuit as 2 110 volt circuits. If there is no 220 volt load, the breakers can be independent of each other. If there is a 220 volt load, then the breakers need to be pinned to each other, which is essentially what a 220 volt breaker is. You can still run 110 volt loads.

But then you're in Mexico. Isn't there a high line close by that you can throw a chain over and tap off some power?
Old 08-04-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by j_martin
But then you're in Mexico. Isn't there a high line close by that you can throw a chain over and tap off some power?
That Mexican power got me in Mazatlan in my RV. Took out my board in my rather expensive sine wave inverter which also is my charger. Disconnected it, then bought a cheapy battery charger when I crossed the border until I could get a new board for it. Luckily, I was headed to Washington state and drove right by the factory on the way out to the Island to my son. Power was sporadic, fluctuating as much as 25volts - - kept tripping my inverter which then shut everything off - - until it got tripped real hard. Then it was "hope" everything else kept running. Genny got some workout. Several RV's with me got zapped in their converters. I got popular real quick since I had a genny.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Old 08-05-2015, 03:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally got my phone to log on here. Haven't had the computer on in several weeks now.
Went over that 93 the boss's kid bought for a donor for a v8 swap for his Toyota. Its got the magnum 318 with an nv swap (don't know if 35 or 4500), needs brakes for now. Will need tires soon. He said if we figure out the problem in the t case and I get the parts before he leaves for college next Friday he'll put them in. We haven't discussed price yet, wanted to look into parts cost first.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice truck, scotty O'North! are you the white knight of the road now?
very streamline for what that truck can do....

NE, glad you are mobile! hope your get the lucky breaks on the bigger wheels.

little things that made my night-

helped at local political caucus; ended up being the deciding vote for a new candidate (not born and raised in the area) and seeing the crowd filled with family members of one candidate; texted my neighbors to come vote. elected my other neighbor. chuckling at the sour grapes/entitlement comments overheard. wow, really?

chilling this week, doing one project a day. listening to uncle Fiver/Stanelectric.

Quick Reply: New Week, New Outlook Break Room 8/2-8/8