Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need opinion on crossover, honda, toyota, etc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need opinion on crossover, honda, toyota, etc?

As the title suggests, I would like some opinion on some crossover type vehicles. My wonderful wife will be driving it 95% of the time for a new business venture, 365 days a year (-40 F to 104F ambient temperature) and it just has to work. Here's the criteria, must be all wheel drive, good on fuel, decent amount of room and HAS to be dead nuts reliable with a REALLY good heater (6 months of the year is below freezing, 3 weeks at -25 or colder is VERY normal here).

Did some lurking on the honda crv forum, seems to be a good vehicle (bit of a rear dif growling issue). We all know about Yoda's latest opportunities for improvement, but mostly a decent vehicle. Thinking about the new Subaru forester (the wrx sti would be fun, but not practical for what we need). Would like to support the big three, but reliability issues keep me from going that route. Probably put on 25k a year and it would need to last at least 7 years without major issues (normal wear and tear aside). Any SRT8 configuration would be fun, but not practical or economical for what we need. It HAS to get good fuel economy.

Would like any and all opinions.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:39 PM

well throw me a bone on this one, what constitutes "good" fuel economy to you and yours?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Stay away from the CRV. they don't do well at all in colder weather.

They tend to kill batteries, starters and alternators.... A LOT.

The toyotas seem pretty reliable overall, don't see a lot of problems, unless they aren't plugged in at -50, then they get a little testy. They tend to be about as good as anything.

The subaru product is nice, and reasonably well built, but gets horrible fuel economy for what they are, in fact, the average chevy half-ton with the 5.3, does just as well on fuel as most subaru products. They may be safe, and have all-wheel drive, but you pay for it in fuel. And I have seen some reliability issues in cold weather.

The big three have..... nothing. Unless you buy a basic half ton pickup.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:10 AM

I have a Subaru Forester that has been wonderful, I think it has just a tad over 150,000 on it now and all we have done to it is normal maint. stuff. The only complaint is that the fuel mileage is in the low to mid 20s depending on how heavy my wife's foot is. My mother has a CRV and it has been pretty good, is a little more comfortable than the Forester and get's a little better fuel economy but the parts costs for some reason are a little higher.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked into the VW Tiguan? How about the Chevrolet Equinox? I wouldn't be afraid to buy either one of those. When you say you were looking at the Toyos were you looking at the RAV-4 or the Highlander? Big difference in size and mileage between those two. I agree the Hondas don't do well in the cold. Wife had two Honda minivans and they were both terrible in the cold with heaters and starting and the drive systems were crap. They pushed the front end really bad in snow. Too bad the new Jetta Sport Wagon TDI is only front wheel drive as that would be my choice for the kind of miles she'll be putting on.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:36 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts
How about a Nissan or if you want some luxury, an Infiniti? The Pathfinder may be a little large and a tad thirsty, but it never quits. Mine now has almost 140,000 miles on it and the engine is still quiet and does not use any oil. Going to change the muffler soon, but that is it for major expenses.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Good fuel economy would be 25 or higher on the highway. Thought about the jetta tdi series, but my dad had 2 of them. Horrible electrical issues with both, the wiring is just too thin for how cold it is up here. The final straw with the jetta was sitting at the lights in town, -25 outside, the car shut itself off, rolled all the windows down by itself and started honking the horn and would not restart. Would have been funny, except my 2 year old niece was in the car as well. If that happened in the country somewhere, it could have gone bad in a big way.

Dad sold it that week. Great fuel economy, but the cost of the repairs were unreal. Both were bought new and very well maintained and always sat in the garage.

Thanks for everyone's opinion...
Old 04-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
You may laugh, but I would look really close at the Honda Element.

I know if I were looking for one, it would be in the running. Drive one before passing over it.......
Old 04-14-2010, 07:47 PM

What about Audi? Pricey but great economy and AWD...
Old 04-14-2010, 08:15 PM

They are supposed to be making a Diesel Subaru Forrester-Standard transmission only though.
Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel?
Guess I would also research the Volkswagon Tiguan.
Good luck We tried to come up with a new vehicle with about the same criteria for the Mrs and did not settle on one when her old car crapped out causing her to end up with a Camry-Which she could not hate more...
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

We just got a Toyota Venza: looks great, no miles, yet. I travel and rent a few vehicles; IMHO, I liked the Chev Traverse: I got caught in a snow storm coming back from Saskatoon to Edmonton: it handled very well. Fuel economy was 10 to 11/100km (25 usg/m) The last few have been Explorers, which I find small compared the the Venza and the Traverse. The Explorer is a better choice when going to Firebag, on the goat trail they call a road.
We choose the Venza, after test driving Chev Equinox (too tight - side to side) Kia Sorento (liked - second choice) the Santafe (did not care for it) I don't fit in a Jeep. I did not like the Honda Cross Country (ugly IMO) Do like the Ridgeline. Had a rented Nissan Rouge: mixed feelings: ecomomy was not bad.
The two friends that have Venza's: AWD, 4 Cyl, state they get 30 CDN MPG, 9 to 10 l 100km.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM

My Wife has an 09 Subaru Forester. It gets mid 20s in town and high 20s/low 30s on the highway. The heater works good in it, just takes a couple minutes to warm up. I looked at a lot of vehicles before I bought, it was the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by staarma
Have you checked into the VW Tiguan?
porche cayenne knockoff?
Originally Posted by Mexstan
How about a Nissan or if you want some luxury, an Infiniti? The Pathfinder may be a little large and a tad thirsty, but it never quits. Mine now has almost 140,000 miles on it and the engine is still quiet and does not use any oil. Going to change the muffler soon, but that is it for major expenses.
uhm, nissan!
Xterra gets 20 to 21 highway, part time 4wd, a bit heavy on the electronic traction control.
Pathy uses the same engine or the optional V-8 but that gets a bit thirsty. Does come in an AWD flavor.
If you got the coin to drop, maybe a MB or BMW?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
porche cayenne knockoff?
you're thinking of the touareg, and it wasn't a cayenne knockoff it was a joint development - the Tiguan is the small CR-V & RAV4 fighter, 2.0L engine in the states

a diesel engine MB or jeep cherokee (both use MB's 3.0L diesel) would put you in the loop, also a jeep liberty diesel - VM motor 2.8L I-4 (not sure how spiffy you want her ride, the liberty is basic compared to the other two options i've mentioned.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks for everyone's input. Unfortunately, with this new venture, right now I do not have the coin to drop on a mb or bmw (want to get the house paid for first, hate being in debt), just need a decently priced, GOOD awd vehicle. Thought about the liberty and cherokee with the diesel, but up here they messed with the ccv and have had HUGE problems with them dumping oil into the intercooler (not cool).

Over in europe, I've heard they make a honda crv, with a intercooled, turbo, I4 diesel. I would buy that in a heartbeat, but silly california says it pollutes too much. What are they going to say when my dpf falls off the 6.7 this summer?

Quick Reply: Need opinion on crossover, honda, toyota, etc?