Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Need a new (to me) Ski Boat

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need a new (to me) Ski Boat

Currently, the family collectively owns an early 90's 17.5' 4cyl open bow ski type boat. (Malibu)
This boat, when new, was great for its purpose-pulling children on ski's & tubes as well as being an all around good boat.

Since then, the lake where we use it has become pretty busy-lots of other boater causing large wakes/waves-making this boat pretty much useless if you want to go any faster than an idle...

I have convinced the family that they need to get a newer boat with more power & a longer, heavier hull.-This will allow it to be used while there are other boats on the lake ect plus it can pull my 200lb **** out of the water on a set of ski's.

I am kinda at a loss for what to start looking for. My only real requirements are:
Stern Drive ( tilting leg )
Fuel Injection
approx 20ft lg.
have enough power to pull adults ski'ing and have the ability to pull wakeboarders too. ( i know that's more of a "direct" drive or V drive thing.)

There are sooo many different brands & models that its confusing on where to start looking. My price range for a new to me boat is approx 20-30 grand +or-. So, with that price range in mind- a used Tige quality boat is mostly out of the question

The reason for the stern drive is that when the boat is beached, i don't want to have to deal with damaging the prop or anything-this boat will be used by more than one member of the family-and they won't all be as careful as me.

Sorry for the long winded story-Any help would be greatly appreciated. ( oh, its all for Fresh water applications-no salt water.

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, you could check out my Baja listed in the classifides on here forsale. Appears to be in your price range and can definatley handle any lake wake.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Boats: Buying one for the first time is one of the best days of your life.. The 2nd best day will be the day you sell it.. J/K
Old 09-16-2009, 02:23 PM

I would look at getting a master craft, or correct craft. The two best ski boats period. A friend of mine owns a mastercraft dealer and you cant beat them. Plus they have a lifetime warrentee on the hull. For around 35 you can get a new prostar 197. In your range i am sure that you can get a real nice 197 or 210.
Old 09-16-2009, 02:26 PM
Banned

what does a mastercraft brand boat have over a bayliner brand? quality, cut of the hull?

I'm not sure where to even start researching. For me, buying a new boat is its kinda like buying a new diesel truck-there are a several manufacturers out there and unless someone steer's me into the right direction, i could end up buying a ford!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to respectfully disagree with cincydiesel. I hate the buying and the selling of every boat I had. Buying takes a lot of research to find what will work best. When selling a boat, I always have memories of all the good times on the boat as it leaves. The best time of ownership is getting it dirty then cleaning it up. (sorry cincy) . We have a SeaRay 24' but it's a cuddy and the family really loves this one (7.4L, V8 is nice ).This boat & trailer weighs in around #6500, FYI. The newer ones are open bow with a potty between the front & back area. SeaRay are pretty heavy boats that cut thru the wakes. They tend to hold their value and with the economy as it is, there should be some pretty good prices. Here is a website where you can search for boats in the states to at least get some ideas. good luck. http://www.skipperbuds.com/
Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM

You could consider a Yamaha Jet boat. I have a SX 210 model and love it. Easy maintenence, a great website with nice helpful people (like this site) at yamahajetboaters.com for any questions. And no outdrives or shafts and propellers to mess up when you beach.

They make a 21 and 23 foot model aimed at skiers/wakeboarders. The ar 210 and ar 230 if I remember. They have waketowers and maybe a weight sack.

They are easy to drive and you get used to the jet steering after a few outings.

Good luck in your new boat search.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct craft boats are probably the best supported boats!

Best sites:
Support: http://correctcraftfan.com/
Parts: http://skidim.com/

The flat bottom ski boats are THE best to ski behind; absolutely clean wake. And 200+HP and a 4 blade prop has NO problem popping anyone out of the water. My brother has a 1980's era Ski Supreme.

Tony
Old 09-16-2009, 10:17 PM

I agree with Mastercraft as one of if not the best ski boat. It was designed and built specifically for professional water skiiers. The Mastercraft is an inboard engine and not an I/O as the OP requested. I beleive the Correctcraft is the same purpose built ski boat as the Mastercraft.

You may want to look more at the higher powered jet boats as suggested by patoka pirate. Look for a deep v hull design to handle the other wakes and water turbulance better. The flatter the hull the more it will beat you in rougher water.

Listen to pirates when having questions about boats!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by Foxborough
I have to respectfully disagree with cincydiesel. I hate the buying and the selling of every boat I had. Buying takes a lot of research to find what will work best. When selling a boat, I always have memories of all the good times on the boat as it leaves. The best time of ownership is getting it dirty then cleaning it up. (sorry cincy) . We have a SeaRay 24' but it's a cuddy and the family really loves this one (7.4L, V8 is nice ).This boat & trailer weighs in around #6500, FYI. The newer ones are open bow with a potty between the front & back area. SeaRay are pretty heavy boats that cut thru the wakes. They tend to hold their value and with the economy as it is, there should be some pretty good prices. Here is a website where you can search for boats in the states to at least get some ideas. good luck.
Just kiddin... Actually I had a 21ft 4-Wins open bow with a 350 merc.. Loved the boat just hated all the extra expenses that went with it.. Kinda like having a camper, something always was being replaced. Actually the wife and I are looking to get another next srping. Doing my research now
Old 09-17-2009, 01:59 PM

Whatever brand you decide on, now is the time to buy a boat. The boat market is in the tank and you can get a very very good deal not only from individuals but from dealers also. Check out boattrader and craiglist. Once you find the equiptment you want, the brand is almost a matter of personal preference. You are doing the right thing by doing your research to narrow the field. As a side note: be careful of Baja's, certain models have had some construction problems and have developed cracks in the hull. For more information check out offshoreonly.com in the Baja section and do a search.
Jay
Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Banned

Anyone have any decent brands that I should look at other than Mastercraft or Correct craft? - since these do not make a stern drive system?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Stern drive cuts mine out of the picture...
2003 23' Mastercraft X-30. V-Drive 330hp 14.75" 4 blade brass prop 1.5-1 trans

Will pull your arms out of sockets if you hit it too hard...
Old 09-17-2009, 02:30 PM

Why do you need stern drive? Shallow areas? Like to beach alot?

Performance wise/towing wise cant beat an inboard/vdrive
Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 PM

you could just get a new mastercraft x-80, vdrive, twin 8.1 chevys. Only 130K

Quick Reply: Need a new (to me) Ski Boat