Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

need help w/ chevy tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help w/ chevy tahoe

Hello all, the wife drives a 99' tahoe (5.7 ltr)...im wondering if anyone can help me w/ the following problem: the truck seems to dump a little anti-freeze when it is first started...at least i think it's during start-up, it could be during shutdown too...i heard this could be caused by a cracked plastic manifold or some plastic valve?!? ...any ideas/sugg's where to look or any known common problems would be a great help...i wish didge would just give me a cummins powered durango already! i wouldnt have to post such a silly question anymore....thanks
Old 01-18-2004, 09:52 AM

Cuda-
My wifes would puke it out mostly at shut down. I changed the water pump and it doesnt leak a drop anymore. Use an inspection mirror and flashlight to see under the pump and check for weeping.
Dunno if that's your problem, I'd take a peek at it tho.
Oh yeah- it had 41k miles on it when it went out....
Old 01-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: need help w/ chevy tahoe

Originally posted by barracuda
Hello all, the wife drives a 99' tahoe (5.7 ltr)...im wondering if anyone can help me w/ the following problem: the truck seems to dump a little anti-freeze when it is first started...at least i think it's during start-up, it could be during shutdown too...i heard this could be caused by a cracked plastic manifold or some plastic valve?!? ...any ideas/sugg's where to look or any known common problems would be a great help...i wish didge would just give me a cummins powered durango already! i wouldnt have to post such a silly question anymore....thanks
After driving I would do all my checks, "scottrod" is correct, the listtle hole is iegther on top of the water pump or below it. Other thing's to check~ on a creeper, look "up" from the back of the eng. and check the rear corners of the head, check all hose connections and pressure test the radiator and whole system.

Good Luck
Old 01-18-2004, 12:36 PM

i agree with the water pump...if u want to drive over i'll presure test the sytem for you.

Dan
Old 01-18-2004, 01:16 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

The vortecs are prone to intake manifolds leaking. They don't use permatex or a conventional gasket. They use the O-ring style rubber seal. This dries out fast and cracks. Goes before 100,000 miles quite often. Around $500 through a dealer with labor. Did my water pump first, then found it was the manifold gasket. Seems everybody I know has found out this after replacing the water pump first. Water pump is fairly easy itself, goose neck is real easy. Got rid of the truck before I did the manifold.