Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - anybody?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multiple Chemical Sensitivity - anybody?

I am going to condense my story and leave out the background violin music:

I worked for a cabinet making shop. I was in charge of wood finishing. I spent roughly 8 months in a room with no dedicated spray booth or ventilation, just a couple of fans pointing out the door to blow the fumes out. I did wear a filtration mask, but no suit. I started getting sick about 5 months ago. I'd get a rash and then get sick with what felt like a massive hangover + the flu for days on end. Each time it got worse, but when I was well, I'd go right back to work. Finally, the straw broke the camel's back and I got sick in mid-July. I got a massive red rash with welts covering my face. The pain was/is unbelievable. I also have a list of symptoms as long as my arm. I am STILL sick. I have had a screaming headache and body/joint pain for over 70 days straight. I also am now allergic to a number of chemicals and perfumes that can send me back into illness with just one whiff. I am currently trying to convince Worker's Comp that it is not BS and that it DID happen as a result of work. I am also considering a lawsuit against the manufacturers of the wood finish.

I guess what I am wondering is does ANYBODY else here have MCS or has anybody experienced anything similar as a result of chemical poisoning? Every time I do research on the subject I find that I may be suffering with this pain and symptoms for the rest of my life. I may also have permanent Brain, Liver, Kidney and Nervous system damage. I am looking for ANY advice from ANYONE who might have experience with this as a sufferer or someone who is close to a sufferer.

I am not writing this for anyone's pity - just need any info I can get!

Oh, and BTW - PLEASE pay attention to the warning labels on any spray paint or solvent-based chemical you may use. YOU DO NOT WANT WHAT I HAVE GOT!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear that, chemicals are very dangerous. You will probably not have much of a case against the manufacturer. What will most likely happen is OSHA will inspect your employer and the lawsuit will be turned back on them. Sounds like they dont have much anyway or there would be a paint/spray booth already. Wish I had better news for you and good luck.