Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

(military) how do you feel about whiners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've made a few 18 year old kids scream at the top of their lungs in my day... if you are in the Corps, you know what I mean... That will cure some whining.

Let's face it... every one of us have been whiners before in our lives, whether it was 2 minutes ago, or 20 years ago... but, aomething made us suck it up. Not everyone has had to deal with the sucking it up stage.

I just crush em, and hold their feet to the fire till they dance the way I want em to, or thier feet blow up. I gotta second class that I'm about to ruin that works for me.

Through pain comes discipline.

Semper!
Old 01-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
I've made a few 18 year old kids scream at the top of their lungs in my day... if you are in the Corps, you know what I mean... That will cure some whining.

Let's face it... every one of us have been whiners before in our lives, whether it was 2 minutes ago, or 20 years ago... but, aomething made us suck it up. Not everyone has had to deal with the sucking it up stage.

I just crush em, and hold their feet to the fire till they dance the way I want em to, or thier feet blow up. I gotta second class that I'm about to ruin that works for me.

Through pain comes discipline.

Semper!

I should've been a Marine. I probably would have been a lot more comfortable.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM

You know, what most whiners need, whether in the military or civilian life, is something to happen in their life to recenter their whole belief about what they take for granted, what they complain about, and what they will fight for to change. I have realized over the past few years that most whiners haven't had that shock to their system yet, and live in what most people would consider is a "sheltered" life. Go talk to someone who has gone thru this transformation (a Vet, cancer survivor, etc.) and see if they are whining about everyday life. I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of them are not.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:16 PM

The Armed Forces have always fought for our rights, and whinning is one of them, so let them whine. They may have signed up for it but it does'nt mean they have to like it.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:47 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by t-boe
I should've been a Marine. I probably would have been a lot more comfortable.
I have been around all the services quite a bit and I do have to give a sharp salute to the Marines and how they carry themselves. (naturally not all of them live up to Madhat's standards) Most of them are better squared away than than most from any of the other services. Their training methods and the product they turn out is first rate. I give all you Marines out there past and present my respect.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by speedyexc
The Armed Forces have always fought for our rights, and whinning is one of them, so let them whine. They may have signed up for it but it does'nt mean they have to like it.
Well, you do have a good point, they deserve the right to speak their minds, by all means.
However there is a distinct difference between whining because you are truly disgruntled and whining because it is easier than dealing with your own issues. There is a sort of commeraderie amongst soldiers/sailors/airmen that is supported by griping about ... well, everything. We all do it and we accept it for what it is... innocent complaining (ie:the food sucks, the gunny can't lead his way out of a paper bag, this deployment is killing my social life ... etc.".
But we can easily recognize the "whiner" who isn't willing to step up and effect change when it is in the best interest of themselves or their troops to do so. That is not something that is smiled upon between military peers. "If a guy isn't willing to help themselves or those in his charge, what makes me think he will help me ?"

PISTOL
Old 01-11-2008, 10:37 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
Well, you do have a good point, they deserve the right to speak their minds, by all means.
However there is a distinct difference between whining because you are truly disgruntled and whining because it is easier than dealing with your own issues. There is a sort of commeraderie amongst soldiers/sailors/airmen that is supported by griping about ... well, everything. We all do it and we accept it for what it is... innocent complaining (ie:the food sucks, the gunny can't lead his way out of a paper bag, this deployment is killing my social life ... etc.".
But we can easily recognize the "whiner" who isn't willing to step up and effect change when it is in the best interest of themselves or their troops to do so. That is not something that is smiled upon between military peers. "If a guy isn't willing to help themselves or those in his charge, what makes me think he will help me ?"

PISTOL
Very well put.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally Posted by P.J
Uh, yes, but your job is to "protect and serve" you need to bear in mind that getting winded after climbing a flight of stairs leaves you pretty useless against most thugs.

I agree, it is a pretty much thankless job though.

From what I understand, most State(s) Police used to have minimum height standards, and rightfully so in my opinion.
There is a motto at the Michigan State Police Academy, posted above the entrance to the gym, recruits have to chant every day.

"When you chose law enforcement, you lose the right to be unfit".
I have animosity for those in those fields that let themselves go too far. In the combat arms branch of the army, the unit does a lot of extra PT during business hours as part of the job. The non-combat jobs usually had to do PT on their own time, so I understood a little, but there is such a thing as "too far". In the Army I ran twice a day most of the week, once was on my own time. AfterI got out, once a day about 4-5 days a week, plus other work-outs. I don't anymore because of physcal injuries, and nobody's life depends on my physical ability anymore, but I'm far from heavy. I get on one of my brothers from time to time for being heavy. He works for a PD and is getting a belly, but he still works out. Can't do big runs because of his knees, but could lift the back of a car if needed. I mostly lean on him because if he got wounded, you need to be in your best shape to survive an injury, whether auto related or shot, etc. My other brother, also PD, still runs, and could also lift the back of a car.

I also feel the pay is decent, since they train you in the field, then O.J.T. while getting experience. At re-up time, you can decide to stay in or persue the civilian market in that field. The civilian market doesn't have the expense of the initial training.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look, i dont wanna sound like im supporting who were fighting right now... But this forum lets certain things slide that annoys me.. U can't say ******, but u can say <admit edit> . Lets have some respect if thats the case.

Actually, We don't allow ANY ethnic slurs here.

Forum Rules

You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, racially based or biased, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law.
Legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you and you show proof of ownership or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material and you can show proof of consent. In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.

Ed 'Shovelhead' Anderson
Old 01-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Banned

I hate whiners because they are never around to get the work done, or if they are they drag their feet, Edit and moan, and generally just really make me Edit off!

We have a few guys that are genuine "skaters". They should joint the Olympics. They show up for work in the morning, hang around an hr if that, and are gone for the day it seems.

Some people just have a TERRIBLE work ethic. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not all praises and cheer to go to work, but I know what is expected of me and I do it to the best of my ability. No half Edit just to get it done. No Edit because the Sgt made me do it, it's b/s... blah blah blah.

There are several Sgt that should not be Sgts. I end up having to do their work for them since they have no idea what they are doing, or just plain don't care.

Sorry I'm just tired of having to drag lazies around all day.

As for fitness, I'm not Mr. Fit America, but I can do my job just fine. I am 5'11" and weigh 200lbs.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 AM

Deezel .... that is called "Incentive to make rank". Seeing what you DON'T want to be as a leader and making it happen for yourself. Pays big dividends later on ... trust me .

PISTOL