Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Met an Iraq vet Saturday.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Met an Iraq vet Saturday.....

Saturday we were out doing some wildland hose drills with the new firefighters at a reserve base. The Marines were out there doing convoy training and were setting up to do an assualt drill Sunday night. Apparently there was 2 squads of regular Marines deployed in the field where we were going to punch out our hose lines. These guys had been in the weeds since the night before. I talked to the SSgt running the drill, and he gave us permission to run the drill in the field. I asked him where his folks were at, and he said he didn't know for sure, and if they were doing their jobs correctly, neither would we.

The other instructor and I watched for half an hour, and didn't see so much as a weed move. The SSgt assured us that they were indeed moving around out there.

We told the our guys that if they stepped on a Marine out there, just lean down, shake his hand and tell him thanks.

Talked to the SSgt for a while. He was on the first assault in Iraq (this time around) and can't wait to go back. He said he's got a few more weeks in this training billet and then he's signing up for a return trip. He had some interesting things to say about Kerry as well, I got the clear impression he's not thought of well by the average fighting man.

What really struck me was as I thanked him for his service, he thanked me for mine. He seemed as grateful for my service as I did for his. We came to an agreement.....we'll take care of business here while he cleans house overseas.

Got to see the air show overhead as well. All I can says about that is, I'm glad those guys fly for us. Incredible watching 4 F-16's flying in a diamond formation 2000' off the deck, then another comes screaming in from behind and settles into perfect position.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2004, 01:50 PM

I'll bet he appreciated your thanks, too!. In my 12 years of active duty, I can think of 3 times anyone ever told me thanks, and everytime my eyes watered, it meant that much! One of the reasons I love this site so much is there are alot of other patriotic folks left running around. -Steve
Old 04-27-2004, 01:56 AM

A few months after Sept 11th a group of us from my shop went out for breakfast. There were about 12 hungry airmen dishing out all they could handle at the buffet. I just got done sitting down and one of the higher ranking guys told me I didn't have to worry about paying for it..."That guy (pointing to another table) over there said he's paying for ALL of us!" I had no idea who he was, but I had the feeling that he knew what's expected of the military folks. I never got a chance to thank him...he was leaving just as I sat down.

There are only a few people left in the free world who know what it's like to sacrifice luxuries in the present only to gain them in the future.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:42 AM

Thumbs up

Was thanked 2 times for serving, once in Lakeside CA at a rodeo, an older guy that me and 2 buddies ran into bought us beer until we were 'bout ready to puke. Other one was the wife, evidently fond of Marine infantrymen!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:28 AM

One of two young brothers that live across the street from us, just kids really, was in the opening days of last year's action with the Army in Iraq. When he finally came home on leave his family gave him a great welcome home party. Lots of neighbors and family were so grateful for his sacrifice. The local paper however wouldn't send a reporter to talk to him. I cancelled my subscription immediately. He says he's scheduled to go back this summer. His younger brother completed Marine Corp boot camp a couple months ago and is anxiously waiting to go to Iraq. Please keep these boys and all their team mates in your prayers as they go do their job. I make it a point of thanking every service member, young and old, retired or current, that I meet. At the time I was in the Air Force, at the end of the Vietnam war, it wasn't so popular to thank service personnel.
Old 04-28-2004, 06:12 PM

Johnny& Welder- Thank YOU for your service. Alot of folks didn't have the guts to serve during that period of our history. -Steve, SSgt, USAF
Old 04-28-2004, 08:08 PM

I thank all of you who have served our great country over the years.
I never served, however, oldest son served in the Coast Guard, and middle son in Army now, served 8 months in Fallujah with the 3rd ACR out of Ft. Carson. Very proud of him, he is scheduled for Iraq at end of year, is now in 3 ID, Fort Benning Georgia. Serving as Scout in both divisions.
He was on a Bradley Dismount Team in Fallujah, he never says much, he did let me read his journal, he is a brave young man, he knows the cost of freedom.

I pray for those there now in Iraq.

thanks Michigan Steve
Old 04-28-2004, 08:49 PM

The liberals here in the US will never understand freedom until they see another country's soldiers overrunning the country. They'll never understand it until their vote WON'T count because there wouldn't be an election. There wouldn't be any filibusters because you'd be hanged as an opponent to the ruling gov't. Lobbyist? Oh no...they're thrown in jail. Taxes would be whatever the dictator wanted them to be. The tree huggers wouldn't have any trees to hug because the ruling gov't will cut down all those big trees in the national parks and forests.

Sometimes I wish I could do this to the liberal wimps ---->
Old 04-29-2004, 02:02 PM

Michigan Steve, our neighbor is also in the 3 ID stationed at Ft Benning. His name is Genaro Gonzales, perhaps your son knows him. CTDinMT, what do you do in the Air Force? I was a crew chief on an HH-53 in a rescue squadron. Loved my time in the service.
Old 04-29-2004, 10:47 PM

Johnny- I am a Combat Arms Instructor (CATM), work out at the base range teaching and fixing guns. I've spent some time riding on MH-53's back when I was a regular Security Forces troop. 53's were the only chopper I ever felt safe in! Big and roomy and some nice weaponry. Yeah, General Electric 7.62mm Mini-Gun:"We bring good things to life!" Course the M2 on the back wasn't bad either, one of my personal favorites. -Steve
Old 04-30-2004, 08:28 AM

Michigan Steve, made a mistake where our neighbor is stationed. He's at Ft Stewart, Georgia.