Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Vet Bills

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Vet Bills

So.... Bruno, my 8 1/2 yr old Bernese Mountain Dog, is doing the tri-pod walk. He's not putting any weight on his left back leg. I had taken him for his yearly shots a couple months ago and the vet had pulled on his back legs checking mobility. He was sore the next day and I thought maybe it was his hip since the left one isn't quite as good as the right (got his hips x-rayed at 2 yrs, part of the purchase agreement). I had some Meloxicam, an arthritis med from when he had sore front elbows, gave it to him and he was better in a couple days. Since then he'd limp a bit once in a while, I'd not exercise him and he'd get better.

A couple weeks ago, he started limping pretty bad. I took him into another vet that my dog trainer friend recommended. She was on holidays so a younger lady vet x-rayed his leg. Turns out his kneecap is separated. His leg is swollen and he's lost major muscle in his left hip. She wanted the other vet to look at it. The other vet was supposed to back in a couple days. So I phone back to find out that she had her horse roll over on her and wouldn't be in until this week.

So I call on Tues and talk to her. She quotes me $1200-1800 for surgery. She tells me there's a different procedure called Prolo that they've used on about 20 dogs with very good results. With Prolo Therapy, they inject a anesthetic/sugar solution into the tendon which causes scar tissue to build up strengthening the tendon/joint. One to three treatments at 6-week intervals for $300 a pop. Much quicker recovery time than invasive surgery.

So I decide to try it. I dropped him off yesterday morning. They phoned later and told me he has an elevated white cell count which suggests infection. They can't do the Prolo Therapy because his leg is too swollen. Then they said the symtoms were similar to Lymes desease symtoms. They want to tap his joints and get the fluid analysed and grow bacteria cultures to see what anti-biotics to use. They tell me the lab work will be $264 and $80 for the Lymes test. So I tell them to go ahead. I go to pick him up, surprise, surprise. Total bill is $803. This is on top of the $130 for the first visit. I still have a lame dog.

I'm in the wrong business.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am sorry to hear of your woes. Sometimes I wonder why we do not have health insurance for our pets, as their bills can get expensive too. Good luck, it is tough to see your best friend go through this, but hopefully they get him better.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:03 AM

There is pet insurance. I think I heard about it last time I was at the Vet. Definently something to think about.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:05 AM
rdc
Banned

There actually IS health insurance for pets now. I'm not sure what it is called but my wifes friend has it on here dog that happens to have severe seizures.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Yep I heard all about it. I've also heard it was pretty expensive. I don't know about that. I hope you Dog gets better though.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

My dog Boomer ( part doberman / springer spaniel....weird mix huh?? ) had the same problem in his right rear leg. Lost all of his muscle and his leg got so skinny, they quoted me a crap load of money to do a couple surgery's and see if that worked.......but I could tell that he didn't want that so I put him down.

He was my best bud, but it wasn't fair to him to use him as a test dummy and not have it work.......I feel I did the right thing!!

I do hope that your pooch gets better, especially after forking over that much!!! Amazing how your pets become your kids!!

~Nick
Old 08-11-2006, 11:14 AM

Yep! Good Vet's have to make a living too.. I know it is pricey but when you find a good vet that truly cares and is highly competent, it makes paying the $$$ less traumatic..
The stupidly high cost of human healthcare spills over into other fields too!Many of the vet pharaceuticals, supplies and outside labs are the same as used on humans and many of those have become exorbitantly priced and vets have absolutely no control over that.

Your pets ARE part of your family...as they provide much companionship and joy to your family.. That's why you'll go ahead and spend bucks for loved pets.
I won't even get started in how much was spent over a twin daughter's favorite pet MOUSE!!!

K.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
Your pets ARE part of your family...as they provide much companionship and joy to your family.. That's why you'll go ahead and spend bucks for loved pets.
Yep, our Shelties and our old tomcat get better medical care than my wife and I do - year after year, we spend more on vet bills and medication than we do our own doctor and pharmacy bills.

Don't even ask how much I shelled out earlier this year to Houston vets as well as at Texas A&M trying to save Bandit, our 6-1/2 year old Sheltie who we lost to kidney failure despite everything we could do.

Rusty
Old 08-11-2006, 02:01 PM

Don't those type of dogs live to be 10-12yrs? If so, is it worth it to you to make him happy for the rest of his days? Or to put him down before he suffers? I hope I never have to make that decision.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:59 PM

MAN....i know its hard.....i got 2 Black Labs and 15 cats (No kids). MY wife and I have a big heart for animals. And you can bet that all get plenty of attention and care. We want to open up a rescue center someday. In April...we had one of our cats come down with Feline Kennel Cough.....and she had to be put on oxygen. We tried all we could for about 5 days....but she was just too far gone...and turned into pneumonia. We had to put her down. Little bugger......the only cat we rescued as a 4 day old and put her in with our Mother cat to take care of. Called her "Lucky" because of it. Just was her time i guess. BUT i if i had to do it again...i would spend the money to at least try.....I know, I’m a sap...but i love my "Kids"!
Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM

Our "What-Tzu" (part Shih Tzu/Austrailain Shepard) is alergic to everything... so blood anaylsis, shots every week.. call her my $100 dog.. every visit cost me at least $100.. but it is money I would spend if it was double the amount... I feel for you and your dog and hope all works out for the best of both of you...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by BillnBama
I feel for you and your dog and hope all works out for the best of both of you...
Yeah...i didnt say this but i ment it!
Old 08-11-2006, 08:59 PM

Ive recently purchased the best pet insurance policy. No monthly fees, not even a vet visit! If she gets so sick or injured that she cant get over it herself eating some Science Diet and Milk Bones, well, the insurance policy will come in handy.

Insurance Policy:

Vet bills arent fun, hopefully for your money they can show you some progress.. soon!

(was joking about the insurance policy.. not that ill hearted)
Old 08-14-2006, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the well wishes guys. He's finally coming around. He's moving around a bit and not limping as bad. No Lymes and no cancer. The mega dose of anti-biotics must be cutting in. He's got a real bad haircut on his back legs. Hard to cover up with a hat.
Old 08-14-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Fang, 100 lb Siberian Seppla is 14 in October. The vet just put him an Rimadyl for arthritis & swelling. That was 3 days ago and he seems to be responding well.

Anyone have and experience with Rimadyl? I did a google search and found some negative stuff of untimely deaths. Maybe asprin is a better choice?

Quick Reply: Vet Bills