Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Man, how stupid can I be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Man, how stupid can I be?

Figured I had to try and get home after work with a Generator if the power went out.............BIG freakin MISTAKE.

This storm is the first one I have ever seen that you had absolutely 0 visibility.

When she went white, I was going all of 5 MPH, and about 100 feet later, I felt her act funny. Stopped and sure enough, I am in the bloody ditch on the OTHER side of the road, stuckola.

200 bucks later, I am finally hauled out of the ditch, figured I might as well try it the last 5 miles home since we now had some visibility. Made it about a mile, here is a BNSF crewcab 2 ton truck stuck, guy says no way you are going further.........I looked, sure enough, I ain't Superman, Cummins or not. Get her turned around, hooked to his truck, and drug him out, we made a convoy back to town ( thank goodness........)

So here I set at work, comfy, with plenty of food and a warm place to sleep...

I sure hope the power don't go out at home...........
Old 02-02-2011, 01:07 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent had to drive under those conditions for quite awhile. At least you dont have to go far to get to work in the morning. Hope it goes ok at home.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hang in there Bub.......better safe than sorry

I think I may know what your problem was...around here in a white out, everybody drives 55 miles an hour where as you were only doing 5 mph...... Obviously somebody is doing it all wrong....lets see now....you are warm and safe at 5 mph...so that would mean ? nah too simple

Doesn't it amaze you when you are inching along in blizzard conditions when all of a sudden some bone head romps on it and goes blasting by you like he is late for his own funeral? I can't tell you how many of those I have seen upside down or nose first into a mountain just a few minutes later
Old 02-02-2011, 02:01 AM

When I was deployed to Antartica we had different colored flags on Bamboo pole to show us the way to town or the runway if there was a white out. Nothing like driving to town with one guy's head hanging out the passenger window looking for the poles. Keith
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 AM

Be u ti ful weather here in the interior of Alaska...25 and Sunny
Old 02-02-2011, 03:39 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
.....but the ground is still the wrong color - white!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
.....but the ground is still the wrong color - white!
Not all of it........
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally Posted by patdaly
Figured I had to try and get home after work with a Generator if the power went out.............BIG freakin MISTAKE.

This storm is the first one I have ever seen that you had absolutely 0 visibility.

When she went white, I was going all of 5 MPH, and about 100 feet later, I felt her act funny. Stopped and sure enough, I am in the bloody ditch on the OTHER side of the road, stuckola.

200 bucks later, I am finally hauled out of the ditch, figured I might as well try it the last 5 miles home since we now had some visibility. Made it about a mile, here is a BNSF crewcab 2 ton truck stuck, guy says no way you are going further.........I looked, sure enough, I ain't Superman, Cummins or not. Get her turned around, hooked to his truck, and drug him out, we made a convoy back to town ( thank goodness........)

So here I set at work, comfy, with plenty of food and a warm place to sleep...

I sure hope the power don't go out at home...........
I feel for ya. It came further north than they had planned. On the fence this week about either a generator or a big walk-behind blower. I have a tractor to keep my lane open, but it's not good for the immediate curtilage around the house in this crud. Got up over an houtr early, figuring on the 6-8" they called for. Was suppose to be on the fringe. Got all of 14"-16" by 6:30 when I finally got out to the main road.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
That's our problem, we've even had a couple of days in the high 30's for crying out loud. I can see grass in some areas of the lawn too. Although this morning it was -16 F again but no snow. Strange Winter so far for us.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a drift 6+ feet tall in the front of my house right now and it is 5 feet tall across the back 42' wide and right up against the windows and 8' glass door wall.

The storm blew in at 30-37 mph with gust's up to 52 mph so i can only get out of one door of my house (i guess that is better than climbing out a window)

Still snowing and blowing blizzard warning until 7 pm tonight
Then temp down to -5 degrees tonight by the way did i tell you this mess sucks

Spent over 2 hours yesterday cleaning out and tonight/tomorrow looks to be at least 4.

To get out the 1/2 mile to the main road i am sure the drifts will be 8 foot or more so i am not going anywhere for a while got 14 inches of this garbage and the wind will change directions 180 degrees tonight and blow more tomorrow = just blow it all right back in again

Last edited by BC847; 02-03-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Language
Old 02-02-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
For once we didn't get much snow out of this one up here, mostly rain. I will say though I've never experienced black ice to this extent. I've hit a patch hear and there, but today on the way home I saw evidence of people ending up in the snow banks. I slowed down a bit, and the truck started going sideways at 20mph! I had the plow on (900+ lbs) and around 1000lbs in the bed. All the roads were like that, and I've never felt the feeling of skating surrounded by 9-10k pounds.

White outs are no fun, I woke up early (worst part of the storm) last week to plow before work and I couldn't see 2 feet in front of me. Only way I knew I was on the road was house lights on. Roads weren't plowed, just over a foot in the roads. Fun!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:19 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

couple years ago, one of the guys at work was headed home in his d-max. He stopped to help a guy out of the ditch and ended up there himself.
turned up his edge, locked in the 4wd and drug the guy along the ditch until he finally he found a culvert to get out on...
Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Ummm, Pat I'm confused... sounds like you weren't the stupid one. You are warm and dry...

Just sayin.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 AM
DTR Mom

and hopefully single. if you are married with children, home may not be safe if they were out of power and you were warm, safe and dry.

contingency plans, man. (excuses)

How do Buffalonians recognize each other in a white out?

we can smell the chicken wings, hear the labatt's beer rattling in the passenger seat, and see parkas from our clear view out of the driver's window.
this ain't no SNOW! Blizzard of '77. now THAT was snow!

heheh (good choice to turn around, glad you did not have to report the damaged truck!!)
Old 02-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Finally made it home about 5 PM yesterday, the guy next door had tried to drive out at the same time I was trying to get home, he didn't make it, made it to the hard road, got lost and drove out into the field, he must not have had a cell phone because he tried walking back home, only made it about 100 yards and the storm got him.

All was well, power never flickered they said, so now I have the genny there waiting for the next big one.

They were still doing search and rescue on my Hwy at 4:30 last night............ LOTS of respect for the poor Illinois State Police, they couldn't have had any sleep..........

Quick Reply: Man, how stupid can I be?