Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Long term storage, special actions needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Long term storage, special actions needed?

I will be gone for about 7 weeks, any special treatment for the truck? Should I add some fuel stabilizer? And have a friend start it and let it run for like 10 minutes every couple weeks? thanks for the help
Old 06-17-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i was going to leave mine for 7 weeks would top off the tank and add some fuel treatment. Also would probbly disconnet negatives on batteries if no one is going to drive it. Other than that maybe run it one good time before you shut it down before you leave to blow out in moisture in block.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks, sounds good.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just fill up the tank and put in some stabilizer-- it'll be fine.

7 weeks isn't long term storage Don't even have to worry about flat spotting the tires!
Old 06-17-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned

What I do as well is put descant pouches in the truck. It keeps the moisture down for less chance of funky smells from it being closed up.

If you can put a cover on it or keep it parked in a garage that would be ideal.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Banned

Put rat/mouse traps and poision out, but not in the interior ewww.. Bucket or two of damp rid in the interior; get it probalbly at walmart. If it's inside leave the windows cracked. Put the damp rid within another bucket like a wash pale incase it spills. Spray the interior cloth down with lysol and spray it into the vents while the fan is running on the fresh air setting... Which you should do anyway as routine maintenance.

That's it, maybe disconnect the batteries if they are aged and I wouldn't even worry about the fuel besides filling the tank to prevent moisture and possible corrosion...

Don't let anyone run it unless they are going to drive it a good distance and DO NOT put a cover on it if it's outside. Just a window shade and coat of wax if your really worried about it.

Check all the fluids when you get back.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:15 PM

thanks for all the advice!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM

Well, sorry to drag this old thread back out but it's that time again!

Except this time it's my 2008 RAM now and this time it's for a whole year.

I wish it were as simple as setting it up for permanent storage, but in this kind of climate with a wife and 2 kiddos I really don't like the idea of leaving my wife with one car.

If I leave the truck in a condition that she can easily use it if needed, ie not on jacks and batteries installed, it isn't the best for storage.

I can leave just the trickle charger plugged in to protect the batteries.

I will be getting new tires once I get back so I am thinking it's not a big deal to just leave the truck on the ground.

What do you guys think? Is it a legitimate concern to want to leave the truck operable? I think so of course, and some might say that's all that matters but I want some other people's opinions.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

A year this time.
Some place trusted I presume?
Do you have a driver to start it every couple weeks and warm it up?
If not and its some place trusted, some rat poison around the motor, disconnect the battery, and cover it up with a quality cover or park it in a garage.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:42 PM

Glacier Moving and Storage. Give 'em the keys and tell 'em you want it started and run 10 minutes every week and driven around the lot (but NOT on the street) once a month. They took very good care of my truck when I was deployed and when I did a tour in Korea.

When I needed the truck, it was a phone call to them and they had it ready the next day. I would think that would meet your family's needs if it should come up.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
A year this time.
Some place trusted I presume?
Do you have a driver to start it every couple weeks and warm it up?
If not and its some place trusted, some rat poison around the motor, disconnect the battery, and cover it up with a quality cover or park it in a garage.
It will be at my house, I trust my neighbors and the street I live one, plus my wife will be here at the house. She is good with starting it once a week and hitting the exhaust break and high idle to get it up to op temp.

Originally Posted by Adaminak
Glacier Moving and Storage. Give 'em the keys and tell 'em you want it started and run 10 minutes every week and driven around the lot (but NOT on the street) once a month. They took very good care of my truck when I was deployed and when I did a tour in Korea.

When I needed the truck, it was a phone call to them and they had it ready the next day. I would think that would meet your family's needs if it should come up.
I will check them out, their Fairbanks website doesn't mention vehicle storage but I am going to call. Most places want a lot per month for vehicle storage, over $1000 for the year is a little steep.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just have your wife take it to town once a month instead of using her vehicle. That'll keep it exercised and she'll know that it's ready to go if she needs it.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Just have your wife take it to town once a month instead of using her vehicle. That'll keep it exercised and she'll know that it's ready to go if she needs it.
Probably what we are going to do, but move two car seats into a -40 truck is no fun at all.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as your fluids are up to spec (especially the coolant to -40* or colder) a battery tender is all I'd worry about. Maybe check out the oil pan and block heater if the wife is gonna use it on occasion.

Have her drive it to town a couple times a month when it isn't -40*.
One thing to consider though is the fuel you are getting now maybe #2 and won't like to work in the winter depending on how much your wife drives/refills the tank.......
Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
As long as your fluids are up to spec (especially the coolant to -40* or colder) a battery tender is all I'd worry about. Maybe check out the oil pan and block heater if the wife is gonna use it on occasion.

Have her drive it to town a couple times a month when it isn't -40*.
One thing to consider though is the fuel you are getting now maybe #2 and won't like to work in the winter depending on how much your wife drives/refills the tank.......
Yeah I just realized the summer stuff is what we are getting now, I have some PS that I will leave in a full tank and instructions on how to use it, etc. I think that's really all I am going to do now, once a month trips and have her top off each time and add a little PS.

BTW ofcmarc were you at the MAC credit union today? I saw a nice looking first gen, blue and grey...

Quick Reply: Long term storage, special actions needed?