Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Live in an antique house, want to sell it, have ?s

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Live in an antique house, want to sell it, have ?s

I live in a late 20's farmhouse built by my grandparents. Me and my sister inherited the ranch intact with 2 antique farmhouses, the other a early 1900s farmhouse. the house I live in is pretty big, for 1 person it is too big, half of the house is shut down almost all the time because I have no use for it. The septic system is also prehistoric, utilizing the old clay pipes that now have roots grown through it, backing up some crud, fixing it would mean lifting or moving the house to get to the lines. All in all it is not practical for me to live in, and I wish I could get rid of it for a single section manufactured home. Since the area I live in is historical, being many of the realtors around here buy old houses, restructure them elsewhere, and sell them for mega $$$. I don't have the money to re-do this whole house. So on to some ?s

As for the value of the house, could I expect around the amount the tax appraisal dictates or less?

Do realtors subtract any amounts for moving the house?

When and if the time comes am I required to unhook all power and water sources?

Does anyone have some advice for me that could save my **** from making a stupid mistake?

I have to make sure I get a good amount for the house because that amount would dictate id this idea is at all plausible and would be beneficial to me. As far as the house condition is, all the flors and walls are intact and solid, the foundation is still all perfectly level meaning no bows in the floor or sags. The house really needs a paint job, and some of the lower panels and beams are rotted from being in the ground. But overall the house is prime for a renovation and I have many of the old pictures taken of this house when it was first built.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would poll a few people who have sold their house that way if it were me. Find out the deal that is being offered them.
I'm not sure about in texas but here it is an expensive proposition to move a house any distance, but were it me I would state that the buyer is responsible for all disconnects and moving fees/expenses.

Hope that helps some
Old 10-20-2008, 06:21 PM

If it is in your name...here's what I would do.

Find out from a realtor and a bank what your house and property are worth...

As is...or restored...

Those are the only two places that are going to let you know what you are working with...

...you will make a better decision when you can accurately weigh both options.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 PM

Don't want to get rid of the property, just the house. I've been in contact with a known realtor for the older homes and we've scheduled an appt for her to look at the house.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:56 PM

You can get old houses like that for cheaper than a trailer house. They are pretty expensive to move.

Actually unless you are set on the single wide mobile home... On a piece of property i inherited and was thinking about selling the realtor told us that a single wide with any age on it adds no value to the land and actually can take away value. It's a good place to lay my head on the weekends when I'm up there though.
When appraising our place she didn't want to add anything for the single wide on it. Which is in fair shape and isn't an eyesore or anything.

Just something to think about. Maybe fix up the old house.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 PM

Well the property is gonna stay in the family so value of the houses will just deteriorate over time. The single wide idea would make it alot easier to maintain and would cost less for me to do if I get enough for the house ($40k). The house would be over 50k to restore back to good as new including rstoring the original fence like in the old pictures. The house would have to be lifted and or moved in order for me to repair the septic unless I just make a whole new setup, then with licenses and materials and labor would outweigh my other idea. Money is tight right now and it was plausible to do if it can be done and goes my way.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A septic installer can come in there in one day and have a new system installed and running. Never a need to move a house to do so. Plenty of them around here do this every day. And they are really not too far from you.

As far as value, call an apraiser and inspector. Banks are not in the business to evaluate and price homes.

You really should reconsider your thoughts. A house like that really needs to stay with the property. Consider leaving it and installing the MH on another location. Especially if your going to hand it all down.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:05 PM

Yeah you're right. If I don't sell the house I can't get the MH so its a decision if I want to be patient (I guess I need to be). The septic I know can be done quickly but it would have to be a completly separate system and tank since the other setup is so old and the tank is small. Other issues I'm having is maintaining water pressure because the well is over 100yds away. Guess I need to just get a quote and see if it becomes worth it. Chances are in the end nothing will be worth it.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:22 PM

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you are going to have to 'fix' the septic problem with or without the old house, same with the water. If the house is good then I would start there and then start remodeling the house that my grandparents built. To me, you are lucky and you might later regret letting the house go. They just dont make anymore houses that your own grandpa built do they? Something to think about, thats all.

DuaneW.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM

Gotcha Duane, thats why I got ya'll to talk me out of it. If the house was moved it would make things alot easier to access, but not completely necessary. The house is as solid as the day it was built, but cosmetically it needs some help and alot of TLC. As far as the well pump goes, I think we will be installing a 1.5 to 2hp pump to get what we need. It curently runs a 1/2 hp pump but that was originally for 2 houses, we now have 3 houses running off it. And eventually the house will need to be lifted up a foot or two.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[QUOTE=DuaneWKKC;2250830]Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds to me like you are going to have to 'fix' the septic problem with or without the old house, same with the water. If the house is good then I would start there and then start remodeling the house that my grandparents built. To me, you are lucky and you might later regret letting the house go. They just dont make anymore houses that your own grandpa built do they? Something to think about, thats all.

This is very true. I also live in a 1920s home that I bought from the orig builder/owner and have completed one major revovation every year for the past 7 years. Plumbing was the first but overall, not too bad. Consider taking the funds you were going to buy the MH with and use it to restore the home. If you're going to keep it, I think you'll be 100x happier knowing you restored something your ggfather built rather than having it sold and drug off. That's a cool piece of your history/family and I'm sure has original hard wood 2x4s and 4x4s where now days you get this composite synthetic plastic look alike wood crap taped to the side of a "wanna be" frame. Sorry, got a little carried away.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You might just need to add a new/better tank to your well. You shouldn't have the pump feeding directly to anything. The well tanks use an air space. The pump fills the tank, compresses the air, and the air pressure pushes it to your house. Over time, the air pocket becomes absorbed, so if you have a tank, you may can drain it and start the air pocket over again and fix your issues.

If I ever had a house like that, I'd never dream of getting rid of it. Once it's gone, it can never be put back. Ever. I think you would regret tearing it down or removing it one day.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM

We have a new tank and pressure valve, and we've had to take the pump out before to do repairs. It may be acting up again. The drain for the septic is as old as the house, old clay pipes that are now busted under the house leading out towards the road. I won't sell it now, I thought it was a good idea but I'm only 22 and looking for something better. Think I'm gonna get the trees cut down some because they're terrible right now and they are looking too big for the house now, then septic and paint the house. I then eventually want to sand the floors down and seal them, get some ventilation and heat source put in, etc then work on the cosmetics inside. I have a family load of old junk that needs to be chunked.

Went around looking at the houses overall condition. Structurewise its solid, I can jump up and down and the house doesn't even quiver, its solid everywhere but the bathroom where some repairs have been made because the toilet rotted the wood. Electrical is all tight and in good condition, breakers are new as well as some wiring to suffice a 220 22,500btu AC unit.

I'll post some pics shortly, hopefully I can get the old pics to scan good because its rare and my grandparents even showed us this album, we happened to stumble upon them after they passed.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Have you looked into a home equity loan or something along those lines...

Interest rates are low at this time.

Banks are the one's loaning the money to people...they know exactly how much properties are worth.

I would get your well and septic taken care of first...it'll be less than you think.

You got the electric updated, so take care of any other mechanicals that need repaired first.

Do the cosmetic stuff after the mechanical stuff.
Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM

Here are pics of the house when first built, and this is before the 2 add ons that are currently part of the house. I'd love to get it back to this again, fence and all. Current pics will be taken tomorrow.

My Grandpa on his AC back view of the house.

Quick Reply: Live in an antique house, want to sell it, have ?s