Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

laptop & GPS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
laptop & GPS

The wife just got my a laptop, and now I want ot get GPS for roatrips with it. Anyone doing this? Any good systems? My next roadtrip is in about 9 days....
Old 05-01-2006, 10:45 PM

I use ALK tecnolicy CO-PILOT laptop 9. It, like most progames, has a few small glitches. It constantly track position. For RV's it has an RV mode, and will warn of low, 13' 6" or less bridge clearnce, and has a speeed alert. If you miss a turn it will recaculate the route. Their web site has information and pricing.
Microsoft streets and trips. also has a gps, good trip planning, low price but does not update or recalulate the route if you miss a turn. Have to tell it to recalculate from present postion.
There are other good ones out there. A lot depends on how you are going to use it.
Let us know what you get.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:28 AM

Well the recalculating would be nice, but probably isnt necessary. We dont do many roatrips. I usually tow a big cargo trailer, so would I need the RV mode? Any other ideas?

dssimecek: just checked out ALK. What glitches does it have? Might be a tad overkill for me, but I do like exploring......
Old 05-02-2006, 03:47 AM

I'm getting the Delorme.

Who has the laptop pod that mount to the seat frame?
Old 05-02-2006, 05:31 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Company just gave us new laptops with GPS.
It's the tracking kind of GPS.
Sign on & Sign off via computer.
Several co-workers who have become accustomed to doing a "Houdini" impression after lunch are in for a very rude awakening.

I'd like to get a good driving style GPS program for my laptop too.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:13 AM

I use the Delorme Earthmate. Whole system is about $100.00. Been using it for over two years now and I think it is real good. Saved my hinny a few time being able to re-route around accidents and such.

I also use the JottoDesk as a computer mount. A little pricey but works like a champ.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:15 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this one, and use it mostly with my SmartPhone. It will also work with a Bluetooth equipped laptop. I have both Microsoft Streets and Trips and Mapopolis. I like the Mapopolis for the phone, but lean toward the Streets and Trips for the laptop.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm about to acquire the Delorme Earthmate to go with this...
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...95-457948.html

MikeyB
Old 05-02-2006, 08:47 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have to have Bluetooth for this to work, or is there a USB or wireless set up.

$100.00 sounds very reasonable? I saw the Streets and Maps program last time I was in Staples, looks neat.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:50 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeyB
I'm about to acquire the Delorme Earthmate to go with this...
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...95-457948.html

MikeyB
I wanted to say, I have a ThinkPad, and you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I've owned HP desktops and had to issue their either, just wanted to tell you how pleased I am with the IBM.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
Do you have to have Bluetooth for this to work, or is there a USB or wireless set up.

$100.00 sounds very reasonable? I saw the Streets and Maps program last time I was in Staples, looks neat.
I bought a USB Bluetooth at Fry's for $20. It plugs into a USB port on the laptop. I have an external USB port that I use for the Bluetooth, IR and a mouse.

When I ordered my GPS, it came with the Streets and Trips CD.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:28 AM
JKM

I HAD streets and trips for about 2 weeks , and i never was successful at getting the driver to install for the GPS , so i took it back and bought a paper shredder instead... much more useful.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:29 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by JKM
I HAD streets and trips for about 2 weeks , and i never was successful at getting the driver to install for the GPS , so i took it back and bought a paper shredder instead... much more useful.
Just after Tax time too huh?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I used my setup (Garmin with laptop) on several trips. It is just another "something" in the front seat area taking up space. It further complicates things if I leave the truck to grab lunch and in rest stops - - so easy to see and too quick to pop a window and grab it. We now just plan the route with full printed directions and maps before we leave. We check for low bridges in the planning process. The GPS is now relegated to the lowly position of getting me back to the campsite during a hike or long bike ride. It is cool to ride along and suddenly the laptop tells you your next turn is in three blocks or 1/2 mile, but quickly looses its luster due to the clumsiness of having it take up so much space. If you need active directions, the small units are so much more convenient. JMHO

Bob
Old 05-02-2006, 10:11 AM

I run a Garmin GPS 76S in a stand alone mode (not hooked up to the laptop) - to reduce the clutter in the front seat area. But I will admit that I do miss a larger and brighter screen sometimes.

2500, don't quickly dismiss the re-routing function; I would think its pretty much standard all hardware these days. My GPS is an older unit and does not have a re-routing feature.

I use the Garmin MAPSOURCE mapping program for my routing and am happy with it. I'm using the North American mapset - this one doesn't require an unlock code.

I've heard good things from co-workers and friends who have used M$ Streets and Maps and the DeLorme products, but I haven't used them enough to make a comparison.

On the road, I print out the map route that I will be taking, and enable the GPS screen that displays the distance to next turn, time to next turn, and estimated local arrival time at the destination.

Quick Reply: laptop & GPS