Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Know anything about these tractors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:50 AM
DTR question asker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Know anything about these tractors?

Hey guys, I was looking at a couple of tractors and I wanted some opinions.

We recently purchased 6 acres of land and the two fields are just a little too rough and tall to mow with my little 20HP riding mower.

I need something that can take a bush hog, definitely want it to be a diesel, and under 5k.

I don't need 4WD, though it would of course be a plus if I got into some mud or wanted to be able to scoop some stuff up with a bucket.

I've always heard good things about the Kubota stuff, they are a little expensive but they make really good equipment.

I came across a 1980 Kubota B6100(E?) tractor. 3 cylinder diesel, 14-18HP, not completely sure. Its got a PTO, 2WD, 12spd., tranny, its a little old but it appears to be in good shape, and its very close so I could go take a look at it tomorrow. They were asking 3300 for the tractor, a PTO driven tiller and a scraper blade, I would purchase a used bush hog to go along with it.

Here's the link:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/356490153.html

I also came across a bit larger Nortrac tractor. I really don't know much about them, I've seen them a lot in the Northern Tool catalogues.

Its got a 20HP 3cyl. diesel, 4WD, hydraulics, its much newer and has more "creature comforts".

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/371101335.html

The seller is asking $4000 for it, which doesn't seem like a bad deal. I wouldn't be able to afford much more than a bush hog for it right now, maybe a plow too.

My question is, can anyone tell me about either of these tractors? I realize that the Nortrac one seems to be an "off brand" one, but since Northern Tool is close by I could probably get parts for it if I needed to. I know that parts for the Kubota would be available (at least I think so).

Would it be worth spending the extra money on the larger, off-brand tractor that has more features, or just go with the smaller, older Kubota that would get the job done, but not much more?

Thanks for any opinions.

DFO
Old 07-19-2007, 02:52 AM

looks like a business so you shouldnt get scammed I dont think. we have had 2 small tractors. A ford and a massey and they are very handy to have around to move stuff. very handy in the winter if you have a big driveway or want to make money with it plowing snow
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 AM

DFO,

I'm not sure how to respond, because your post leaves me with more questions than anything!

First off, 6 acres. Is it all that hilly, undeveloped, etc? You called them 'fields' so that leads me to believe it's just basically an open lot, rough perhaps. If that's the case the Kubota looks like a good deal to me. That thing is just SCREAMING for a belly mower underneath it. And the implements are just gravy! And if you don't need them sell 'em off and re-coup some of your investment on the tractor. You mentioned mud. I'm sure you've noticed the Kubota has turf tires on it. NOT good in mud, obviously. But you can always get a set of R-4's or some other similar ag type tire if needed I'm sure.

As for the Nortrac. I think you nailed it when you said 'Off Brand' You mentioned parts for it may be close. But why would you want to plan on buying parts before you buy the tractor?

I think for my money the Kubota, although older, sounds like the better deal to me. But then again, you're taking advice from ME!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Kubota is worth 3k IF it were 4x4. The 100 series tractors are handy (5100, 6100) but are not heavy enough to be very effective in 2wd form, IMO. I'd recommend keeping your eyes open for a 5200 or 6200 4x4--a lot more features and a bare unit can be had for between 4 and 5k. There are 4x4 100 series as well, but they bring almost the same $$ for less tractor. I'm currently looking for a similar setup and have decided to avoid grey market and off brand tractors all together. I'm leaning towards a b6200/7200 or a JD 650/750. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:29 AM

You might call the guy with the Kubota and ask if he will bring it out for a demo.

I had a 1980 B 6100E (that's the 2 wheel drive) and just sold it 2 months ago for $3100 with a belly mower. I had bought it new and had all the manuals and it was in excellent condition. That's just for your comparison value.

If you're considering a loader down the road, it's too small to get anything done.

It's 14 HP and will out pull anything you can imagine with a gas 20HP engine (even 2 wheel drive). You can run it ALL day on less then 2 gal of fuel. The rear tires are 700x16". You can use 16" truck tires on the back if you're just mowing!

At one time I had a light duty 7' blade on the back of mine but eventually torched off a foot off each end to make it a 5 footer.

The belly mowers on the 6100 series tractor were powered by an electric clutch up front and the belt went down over 2 pulleys and over to the deck. It was a bad design. The drive shaft which went from the crank to the elec. clutch was about 14" long and the splines would shear off from the start/engagement torque. I'd suggest a 3-pt rear finish (or brush)mower, 4' and it will work excellent.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:40 AM

Don't be put off by the Nortrac. They are Chinese but of realatively good quality for the price. Nortrac is also sold under various other names parts and service should be plentiful. I had a grey market Yanmar about the size of the Kubota that you are looking at but my Yanmar was 4x4. The Kubota has more implements but depending on how hard you push your euipment you might outgrow either tractor pretty fast. I would personally go with 4x4.
go to www.tractorbynet.com to read reviews, ask questions etc. Have fun

Hondo
Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 AM

I am also a member of tractorbynet.com and mytractorforum.com. These are helpful sites for tractors.

I purchased a 1995 Kubota B7100 16hp 3 cy diesel 4x4 with hydrostatic transmission. It had less than 700 hours, a front end loader, and a 60 inch shaft drive belly mower with tripple bagger and vacuum bagging system. I picked this up with a trailer for $5k cash. IMO 4x4 is a must, and if your going to get a tractor, find one with a front end loader on it. They are SO handy to have. I use mine at least a couple times a week. I only have 3 acres, but I have a lot to do!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I can't respond directly to the size of the tractor, I only have the little 2 cylinder L175 Kubota with a 60" Woods finishing mower behind. I can say that the 15 Hp 2 cyl is screaming for mercy when I hit taller grass, perhaps the 3 Cyl. would handle things better.

I would spend the money to get the Kubota ( or a slightly bigger one ). So far, other than fuel and oil filters, I haven't had to spend a dime on parts, and this thing came over with Christopher.......and it looks like it!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:02 AM
DTR question asker

Originally Posted by Murf
DFO,

I'm not sure how to respond, because your post leaves me with more questions than anything!

First off, 6 acres. Is it all that hilly, undeveloped, etc? You called them 'fields' so that leads me to believe it's just basically an open lot, rough perhaps. If that's the case the Kubota looks like a good deal to me. That thing is just SCREAMING for a belly mower underneath it. And the implements are just gravy! And if you don't need them sell 'em off and re-coup some of your investment on the tractor. You mentioned mud. I'm sure you've noticed the Kubota has turf tires on it. NOT good in mud, obviously. But you can always get a set of R-4's or some other similar ag type tire if needed I'm sure.

As for the Nortrac. I think you nailed it when you said 'Off Brand' You mentioned parts for it may be close. But why would you want to plan on buying parts before you buy the tractor?

I think for my money the Kubota, although older, sounds like the better deal to me. But then again, you're taking advice from ME!
Hey, sorry if I left you a little in the dark.

Its developed, fairly flat (but with lots of ruts), the previous owners had horses and they grazed in the fields. When it rains they can seemingly get a little muddy in some spots, but its not *too* bad. We will eventually be bringing our horse and two others over here too.

To be honest I really like the Kubota better than the Nortrac. Its a neat looking little machine that I *think* could fit in the back of my truck, not completely sure about that. It probably has lots of smaller implements that would be perfect for the size of my land here. There are no pictures of the Nortrac, though its low hours and probably in pretty good condition, but I don't know, and its a pretty good drive from my place to take a look at the Nortrac.

However, the Nortrac does look to be a nice tractor too. Its a bit bigger and does have hydraulics, so if I wanted to purchase a FEL, etc. for it I could. I really would like to have 4x4 if I was going to be doing a little bit of plowing, or driving through that occasional nasty NC clay-mud around here that will eat anything 2WD alive if you get it in too deep. This tractor looks to be a bit more comfortable, and you know, in general has newer features. Though the 4WD may just be asking myself to get into an even worse situation .

Thanks! I'll probably go take a look at the Kubota today.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 AM
DTR question asker

Here's another possibility:

http://adcache.equipmenttraderonline...1/82491701.htm
Old 07-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Stay away from the Nortrac, chaep and very poorly made. You will start having problems within the first year. The Kubota on the other hand is one of the most reliable machines you could buy.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Definitely get a 4X4. I spent a little more on the Ford in my signature for the 4X4 and it was well worth it. It gets put into 4WD more than I ever thought but the loader does take weight off the back wheels.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:12 PM

tractors

I have five tractors. Two are Kubotas. One is 30hp and the other is 35? The Kubotas (in my opinion) are good for only mowing. They are too light for anything else I do. Anything else such as a box scraper or bush hog I use my Masseys or Ford.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by samboats
I have five tractors. Two are Kubotas. One is 30hp and the other is 35? The Kubotas (in my opinion) are good for only mowing. They are too light for anything else I do. Anything else such as a box scraper or bush hog I use my Masseys or Ford.
Maybe your size Kubota's are only good for mowing but we run our entire farm with the bigger one's. Cut, ted, rake, square and round bale hay, pull 12' no-till drill, pull 7' up to 15' brush hogs, and on down the line. Kubota makes up to a 125 gross hp tractor and I believe they can compete with anything out there up to that power level.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:35 PM

I had a 95 model B 5200 Kubota (about 13 hp) 4x4 with FEL and turf tires. Nice little tractor but when trying to bush hog in tall grass, I had to gear waayy down and it had a tendency to run hot with a 4' hog. If the grass don't get to tall on ya, the Kubota might work ok. Got my 35 hp JD and solved my problems.

Quick Reply: Know anything about these tractors?