Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Knife question

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 11:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Knife question

For those that know that laws better than I do, I keep a 3D Mag Lite, and a Buck 119 (6' blade) shoved between my seat and the center console. Have since I got my liscence. Well, I had a Schrade that was similar in my 99, but it disipeared...

How much of a strech would it be for a LEO to call my knife a weapon?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Banned

A 6' blade on anything would be considered a weapon by anyone. A 6" blade would probably be considered one as well. With that being said, I carry my Kershaw spring loaded knife in my back pocket everywhere I go. Even school. If I get pulled over I instantly throw it on the dash and tell them I have it.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 PM

Like BB said the knife is a weapon and you should only have problems if it were concealed and subsequently found in a search.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
If I get pulled over I instantly throw it on the dash and tell them I have it.
That works for me... I always keep my Browning knife in my pocket, I'm not worried about it, but had started wondering about the big one.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
Like BB said the knife is a weapon and you should only have problems if it were concealed and subsequently found in a search.
So is sticking a knife in between the seats considered concealed? I have a 6" buck and another smaller pocket knife stashed like this also
Old 05-31-2006, 11:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ratat98
So is sticking a knife in between the seats considered concealed?
That was more my question. But Tyler's method will work for me.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 PM

Each state has different laws, and each situation is handled different. Something like this (K-Bar), which is what I carry, would probably not be a problem.

vs something like this.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:44 AM

I've got one of those spring loaded kershaw knives. That thing is bad.
Here in the people's republic of MD you can't have a weapon at all, not even a big wrench in the cab. However, you can keep an unloaded long gun in there. I just keep a short 870 in the back seat and some shells in the console. Takes a minute to get it and load it up, but a nice feeling knowing it's back there.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ratat98
So is sticking a knife in between the seats considered concealed? I have a 6" buck and another smaller pocket knife stashed like this also
In most states, YES.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dealing with LEO's is common sense. Any cop knows that things slip down in-between car seats all over the US everyday. Transporting weapons should be easy in any state. Who is to tell you that your weren't just heading to the range or hunting or fishing?

If you are doing something wrong, 9 times out of ten they are going to pop you. If you are an average Joe (me) who just so happens to carry a knife (or 9 mm Ruger) occasionally for work, it shouldn't be a big issue.
Now then, if you are Drunk, got pulled over just after wielding said knife or gun at your estranged girlfriends momma's house, you might just find yourself face down on the side of the road with the bracelets on.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:03 AM
P.J
Banned

Oh yeah, when you use terminology like "Stashed", your probably gonna be found guilty.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:09 AM

OR, .......you can just go ahead and get a concealed handgun permit and get it over with.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:20 AM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
OR, .......you can just go ahead and get a concealed handgun permit and get it over with.
HA! Not in my state you won't. I went through all motions, paid the fees, CJIS, face to face interview with Tropper, etc.
No-go. Total waste of time & money. Totally clean record, FBI & CJIS background & prints all checked out fine, they said I didn't have enough of a reason to carry.
Very disappointing process.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
If I get pulled over I instantly throw it on the dash and tell them I have it.
We all know that if they want you then they've got you. Period.

But Blue this is called a 'Furtive Movement or Gesture'

This is how it is written here in Texas. "Further, in some cases, “furtive” movements or gestures by a motorist may ripen into an objectively reasonable suspicion that the person may be armed and dangerous"

That is called probable cause. In laymens terms: Probably because I wanted to jack you up.

If you go throwing things around then it can be construed that you knowingly had something wrong/illegal to begin with and trying to 'un-conceal' it won't be enough.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
HA! Not in my state you won't. I went through all motions, paid the fees, CJIS, face to face interview with Tropper, etc.
No-go. Total waste of time & money. Totally clean record, FBI & CJIS background & prints all checked out fine, they said I didn't have enough of a reason to carry.
Very disappointing process.
Maryland is one of the few remaining states that refuse to allow citizens the right of self-protection. Washington DC is another.
There ain't enough money in the world to make me move from Virginia to Maryland.

New sign I'd like to see at the Virginia - Washington DC border.
Welcome to Washington D.C.
Attention Criminals
All Victims Past This Point
Have Been Disarmed For Your Safety And Convenience.
Happy Hunting

Quick Reply: Knife question