Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Kicking the habit

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kicking the habit

After paying almost $60 for a carton of smokes tonight, I have finally had enough. Who has sucessfully quit and how'd you do it? Besides, if I quit, I'll have more $ to put into the truck. That will be a big motivator, that and getting the wife off my back...
Old 08-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Banned

I've never smoked in my life. Never even tried it. But do want to wish you the best of success on quitting. It can't be easy. Hang in there is the only advice I can give you.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its a tough one I know.
I quit a little over 7 years ago after 22 years of the stupid habit.
I think it just comes down to the fact that you truly want to quit?
If you dont you wont. It seems simple but when I finally quit I new I was done with them before I gave them up.
Good luck I hope you kick-em
Old 08-08-2006, 01:26 AM
KVD

I thought about this today.

I smoke a pack a day (Malbaro Menthals) thats 3 bucks a day.
21 dollars a week.
84 dollars a month.
1008 dollars a year on somethin that goes up in smoke.

I've been smokin about a year now and really I think it's a habit more than anything.I can go all day without one if I'm some where I can't smoke and I'm busy I won't think about it I'm fine.

But if ever think about, then I think I need one.I've noticed if I start talkin to somebody whos smokin I'll start smokin.A friend of mine asked me why I started smokin.I told her I was bored.She jumped all over me and really it's the turth.If I'm busy I'm not smokin, if I not busy I smoke.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
You HAVE to WANT to quit.

I tried Nicorette gum
I just decided to quit "Cold Turkey"

I smoked for about 25 years, 1 to 2 packs a day.
I quit 2 times before once for two years, once for three years.
It's like being a recovering alchoholic.
One borrowed cigarette while drinking with the boys......and you'll be right back.

It's been almost 8 years since I quit for the LAST time.
Now the smell of tobacco smoke makes me sick.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
You HAVE to WANT to quit.
100% TRUE!

Also, have your Dr. prescribe you Clonidine to ease the withdrawal effects...

It will get you on the right path in no time...
Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cold turkey. End of conversation.

And NEVER pick up a cig again.

You want to really quit smoking? Really want to quit? Go to an old folks home, better yet a hospice care center, and watch the old guys & gals hacking up blood & lung tissue, on O2, dying of emphasema.
First, you slowly sufficate and can't catch your breath, and can't walk up stairs & stuff, then you can hardly stand without 02, this process take 5-10 years of suffering and being a burden to your family and others. Then you are wheel chair bound while your organs (starving of 02) being to deteriorate and die. It's like a fish out of water only this takes 3-4 years of steady mysery. You loose badder & bowel control because the muscels used for these functions are dying (lack of 02) so you have to rely on someone to change your diapers. Due the lack of 02 your body starts to slowly decay from within and your liver & kidneys cannot keep up so you lay there and suffer for another year waiting to die.
And when you do finally die your family says "What relief he is gone!", "He is not suffering anymore." "I feel like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders."

You are lucky if you get cancer and die in a year or two. Then it's only painful. Emphasema takes your dignaty and you die a worthless drain on your family or society, all because you thought it was cool to smoke, or you were too weak to quit.

You were stupid enough to start, be smart enough to quit.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:28 PM

Cold turkey for me... although I didn't smoke for very long. I started at a young age, around 14, and quit by the time it was legal, 18. What inspired me to quit?? Two things... waking up in my dorm room, staring at my yellow fingers while reaching for the pack of cigarettes to get the day started. How depressing. The kicker, playing intramural sports and coughing up blood. I knew I had to stop because something obviously wasn't copasetic with that situation.

You can only quit if you want to quit.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Remember....To smoke a cigarrette...You have to SUCK!

Like the others already said, you have to be serious about it to get it done.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

My buddy Branden is going through the same thoughts as you!! He smokes and he smokes a lot........well here recently he's been coughing a lot more and his now girlfriend has a little boy.......yeah he can't play with him for more that a few minutes without having to sit down and take a breather.

He woke up this morning and his chest was hurting so he decided this morning he was done and is gonna quit.........hopefully he sticks with it because he really needs to.

It takes some major will power to do it, and you just have to not allow yourself to give in no matter how much you want it.

~Nick
Old 08-08-2006, 12:50 PM

i smoked for 15 years, and it just got to the point where it cost to much. i had a wife and 3 kids to support so i just quit. but then i picked up chewing, did that for 6 or 8 more years. i went from 3 bucks a week to about 10 or 12 so i decided i needed to quit that too. well i can tell you droping cigarrettes was a bit of a pain, but quiting chewing tobacco was one tough sob. man i was on edge for a couple months. but if you want to quit just do it and stick with it.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:50 PM

I guess that you could say that I was scared into quiting. I used to work on the State Office building Campus in Albany N.Y. One day they brought around a display that had several sets of actual lungs on it.
One set was from a person that had died of natural causes. These lungs were pink in color and large compared to the other lungs on the display. The next set was quite dark gray and somewhat smaller, these had belonged to some one that had smoked for ten years. The next set were mostly black as coal and even smaller, they blonged to some one that had smaoked for twenty years. And the final set were completely black much smaller than any of the others and full of holes,these belonged to some one that had dies from lung cancer and was a very heavy smoker.
That was the very last day that I ever smoked and it was in the summer of 1983.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gunracer1
i smoked for 15 years, and it just got to the point where it cost to much. i had a wife and 3 kids to support so i just quit. but then i picked up chewing, did that for 6 or 8 more years. i went from 3 bucks a week to about 10 or 12 so i decided i needed to quit that too. well i can tell you droping cigarrettes was a bit of a pain, but quiting chewing tobacco was one tough sob. man i was on edge for a couple months. but if you want to quit just do it and stick with it.
Hmm

i was a pack a day Marlboro reds man for a while, i picked it up quick with school, stress and a cruddy x gf. What made me quit? goin from sea level to 8-10K feet up in montana and having to walk everywhere u go. There were no conveniance stores up there, so no cigs for me, and when i realized that i couldnt walk or breathe up there as easily as i should, reality hit me and hard...

Rick
Old 08-08-2006, 03:16 PM
KVD

My dad smoked two packs of cigars a day for about 10 years.One day he said I'll quit and took up chewin.He chewed for about 5 years then one day he said I'll quit and quit for about a year till he became the general contractor over the gym we where buildin at our church.I guess it was stress cause he said chewin made him think better and really I think chewin kept him from sayin alot of things that shouldn't be said at cchurch.

After about 2 years he quit chewin again.Like before he just up and quit one day and started chewin bubble gum.Then after about a year he was chewin about 3 pakcs of chewin gum a day so ge quit that and know chews on toothpicks.He said 5,000 toothpicks only costs about 2 bucks, I think I can handle that kind of habit.

Thats just how he is, he can diecide he wants to do somethin, really anything and he does it.He never seemed on edge, he never talked how much he missed it, he never talked about quitin for 2 months then tired to quit he just quit, just like he did drinkin before I was born.

I just hope I can be like that.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:19 PM

Cold Turkey is the only way to go. Of course you have to want to as well! I quit a few times before I "finally" quit for good! It's been over 7 years I think?! It's been so long I can't remember!

Lot's of water and chewing gum helps alot too!

Tony

Quick Reply: Kicking the habit