Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Justice

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Justice

The soldier who killed 2 officers with a grenade has been sentenced to death by a military jury. Click Here
I assume the military courts have a process like the civilian courts for appeals, so this probably isn't the "end".

~Rob
Old 04-29-2005, 08:44 AM

Re: Justice

Originally posted by hotdram
I assume the military courts have a process like the civilian courts for appeals, so this probably isn't the "end".
Of course.. However, the process doesn't tend to drag out like the civilian system does. The only non-military court that's authorized to review military cases is the Supreme Court.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
He is now a "shortimer" as it should be in a case like this. I know a lot of people will say that the death penalty serves no good purpose, and the way it is done these days I may even agree.

When a violent criminal is sentenced to death, it should be done swiftly as a benefit to mankind, not be allowed to drag on and be a burden on the rest of us. The way it tends to drag out now, it is an increased burden on everybody.

My opinion is; If you commit a violent crime against another causing that individuals death, your life should be forfeit. Causing someone's death by accident, would be worthy of compassion and rehabilitation, depending on the actual circumstances.

We have far too many repeat offenders running around our streets, many of our citizens blame it on "the system" or some other hard luck story. Bottom line is we all know the difference between wrong and right, and should be held responsible for our actions.

The death penalty would be a much greater deterrent to some of these violent criminals, if it were actually put on a sensible time schedule. Keeping people on death row for 10 years is absolutely ludicrous

I am all for bringing back stocks to lock the local thieves up in, right in front of the courthouse so everybody can laugh at them I have a feeling if you spent anytime there, you would be very unlikely to want to become a repeat offender.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

I say we bring back the shooting galleries. If your convicted, they take you out back and shoot ya. But that's just me.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:48 AM

No, I don't agree with that. While our system is good, it isn't perfect. Let's allow due process to work and let the appeals process go through. After that, THEN take them out back and shoot 'em.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he should have been tried in country (Iraq) and the penalty carried out in country. The good order and discpline of the soldiers should be carried out in full view. It sends a clear message that discpline is done. Kinda like defaulters.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:55 PM

far as I am concerned, If you were sentenced to death you would have NO MORE THAN 18 months left. That would be more than enough time for appeals. Like I said before, I will donate a box of shells. For sex offenders like Jackson, I will donate a rusty hedgeclippers.
Tom
Old 04-29-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
He is now a "shortimer" as it should be in a case like this. I know a lot of people will say that the death penalty serves no good purpose, and the way it is done these days I may even agree.

When a violent criminal is sentenced to death, it should be done swiftly as a benefit to mankind, not be allowed to drag on and be a burden on the rest of us. The way it tends to drag out now, it is an increased burden on everybody.

My opinion is; If you commit a violent crime against another causing that individuals death, your life should be forfeit. Causing someone's death by accident, would be worthy of compassion and rehabilitation, depending on the actual circumstances.

We have far too many repeat offenders running around our streets, many of our citizens blame it on "the system" or some other hard luck story. Bottom line is we all know the difference between wrong and right, and should be held responsible for our actions.

The death penalty would be a much greater deterrent to some of these violent criminals, if it were actually put on a sensible time schedule. Keeping people on death row for 10 years is absolutely ludicrous

I am all for bringing back stocks to lock the local thieves up in, right in front of the courthouse so everybody can laugh at them I have a feeling if you spent anytime there, you would be very unlikely to want to become a repeat offender.

Another well written statement from the "CEO"