Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Just Got Back from the Doc.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just Got Back from the Doc.......

Well, for awhile now the doc has been concerned about my blood pressure, high (140/100) I guess this bad. So today he decided to put my on meds. We talked about diet, weight and excersize. I know diet/weight is an issue, but the exercise part is the problem. I have arthritus/degenerate joint disease and this makes the exercise part difficult.

Any thoughts, suggestions from any of you out there with high blood pressure? Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Take the medications, High blood pressure is nothing to fool around with. For exercise swimming can be a good low impact exercise for someone with joint pain.

I heard of a guy actually being able to deduct the cost of his pool off his taxes because his Doctor prescribed it as therapy. Yep I will be asking my doc as well
Old 06-05-2007, 04:14 PM

Eat lots of greens, oatmeal and fiber. Get plenty of excercise. Drink lots of water. Walk alot. I don't have high blood pressure (110/64) and that's what I do on a normal basis.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Muted User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes you can possibly get the cost of a pool deducted, i know you can get hot tubs deducted for joint pain problems but you couldnt use one of those cause of your heart problems.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
May also try an elliptical trainer. I have one and there's no impact to the joints.

MikeyB
Old 06-05-2007, 05:49 PM

High blood pressure CAN be managed without meds. I would have taken that route first. Blood pressure med can bring a whole host of other issues in the form of side effects. In most cases HBP has a root cause, most are associated with the beginning of kidney issues/disease. Exercise with arthritis can be accomplished via a good swimming program AND using resistance equipment. Resistance equipment only applies an equal pressure to the one you exert. A spa at the right temperature is OK for people with cardiovascular problems/issues. It can be tax deductable if perscriped by your physician. I used a spa to recover from a knee injury/surgery and some small weights.

CD
Old 06-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Be sure and take the meds as high blood pressure is the worst thing you can do to your cardiovascular system. Caffiene really jacks mine up so I had to quit coffee and pop. I had high blood pressure when I was in great shape mine apparently is heriditary. Doc say nothing I can do to eliminate the micardis, eat and do what ever they say It'll be worth it in the longrun.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i second the swimming idea, it's the best to recoupe from injury to.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

Sorry to hear that Tye. My dad had had cycling recommended to him, he has very bad knees, the doc said it was lower impact than walking and a better workout.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:57 PM

Elliptical is probably the best low impact cardio there is.... I too have high BP. Without meds I run in the 185/115 range... Pretty bad seeing that I'm 20 now and have been on meds for 5 years now.

Had to go through all the diet tests caffeine, carb, sodium etc... with no results, I'm very active and by no means over weight. Just bad genetics (Mom, grandparents) and I take my meds and deal with it. I believe Norvasc, HCTZ, and Mavic are my current daily routine...

Whatever you do stay on top of it! High BP can lead to all kinds of problems
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Do you smoke?
Old 06-05-2007, 07:29 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There is a Joint health supplament made by SCHIFF called MOVE FREE. About $25/ bottle at the local Sam's club. Works well on achy joints and AFAIK dosen't have interactions with other meds. I take the stuff regularly after having had a shoulder and Knee repaired. I can still excersise like I want to keep my BP down at acceptable level. BTW, The elpiticals are real easy on the joints.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For joint pain, osteoarthritis, I use Liquid Glucosamine. Yes, I do notice a difference when taking it. Go to a heath food store to buy it. Drug stores and supermarkets don't seem to carry quality glucosamine. HEALTH FOOD STORE! You will notice it's a better quality produce, because it requires refirgeration after opening! The products from the drug stores/markets don't require refrigeration.

Regarding the BP / exercise...When I ride my bike, my BP average seems to drop ~5 on the big number. But my bp tends to be 120/70 ish anyway. Yes, I have VERY bad knees, but when I am riding, I have been able to go for 8-12 miles at a time. Since my sone was born last year, I have let this go & been struggling to get back into the routine!

HTH

Tony
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 PM

I don't know how severe your arthritis is but go walking. Both of my parents had problems with blood pressure (stress related with my mom) and since we got the dog several years ago, my mom and lately my dad have both gotten into walking for around an hour to an hour and a half with the dog and it has really helped them out.

hope this helps
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Do you smoke?
Me nope...

Quick Reply: Just Got Back from the Doc.......