Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

In a Jiffy...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a Jiffy...

Caught myself using this phrase tonight "i'll be there in a jiffy" , and I got to wondering, exactly how long is a Jiffy... I certainly do not want to be late... Maybe I really need TWO Jiffy's worth of time to get there

How long is a Jiffy?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jayme, your drunk and your palms are sweaty,
back away from the computer and think about what you just said.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM
JKM

I'm not drunk!!

Does anyone old enough to have a drivers licence know how long a Jiffy is!?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that would be as long as it takes to change your oil.
Ya know Jiffy Lube.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
I'm not drunk!!
I find that hard to believe....
Old 02-19-2007, 06:36 PM

Well traditionally a jiffy is usually 2 seconds longer than two shakes of a monkeys tail, but nowadays it is considered a second shorter, depends on who you ask?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:39 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
I find that hard to believe....
It's your fault! Sharin that Alexander Keiths with me , now I am hooked , can't put the stuff down!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:41 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Hillbilly_Deluxe
Well traditionally a jiffy is usually 2 seconds longer than two shakes of a monkeys tail, but nowadays it is considered a second shorter, depends on who you ask?
This brings up an entirely new question! In order help streamline DTR , I will ask the question here instead of making a new thread , exactly how long does it take to shake a monkeys tail twice? Does this include the amount of time it would take to actually Catch a monkey?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Banned

Actually, "jiffy" is a technical term defined as different things in different applications.

In electronics, a jiffy is the time between alternating current power cycles (1/60 or 1/50 of a second).

In computing, a jiffy is the duration of one tick of the system timer interrupt. It is not an absolute time interval unit, since its duration depends on the clock interrupt frequency of the particular hardware platform. Typically, this time is 0.01 seconds; on early microcomputer systems and on many game consoles (which use televisions as a display device), it is common to synchronize the system clock with the vertical frequency of the local television standard (either 59.94 Hz with NTSC systems, or 50.0 Hz with most PAL systems). Within the Linux 2.6 operating system kernel, since 2.6.13 release, on the Intel i386 platform, a jiffy is by default 4 ms, or 1/250th of a second. The value for older Linux 2.6 kernels (up to 2.6.12), on same platform, is 1 ms, or 1/1000th of a second.

In physics (particularly in quantum physics and often in chemistry), a jiffy is the time taken for light to travel the radius of an electron. Sometimes a jiffy is defined as the time taken for light to travel one foot, or sometimes the width of a nucleon in a vacuum.

A jiffy in astrophysics and quantum physics, as defined by Edward R. Harris, is the amount of time it takes for light to travel one fermi (the size of a nucleon). One fermi is about 10^-13 cm, so a jiffy is equal to 10^-23 seconds. In the article, it is noted that the name was suggested for this unit by Richard Tolman.

Plagiarized from Wikipedia, circa 2007.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by iker42
Jayme, your drunk and your palms are sweaty,
back away from the computer and think about what you just said.
I almost fell out of my chair! I do feel smarter now that Begle1 has explained.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
Actually, "jiffy" is a technical term defined as different things in different applications.

In electronics, a jiffy is the time between alternating current power cycles (1/60 or 1/50 of a second).

In computing, a jiffy is the duration of one tick of the system timer interrupt. It is not an absolute time interval unit, since its duration depends on the clock interrupt frequency of the particular hardware platform. Typically, this time is 0.01 seconds; on early microcomputer systems and on many game consoles (which use televisions as a display device), it is common to synchronize the system clock with the vertical frequency of the local television standard (either 59.94 Hz with NTSC systems, or 50.0 Hz with most PAL systems). Within the Linux 2.6 operating system kernel, since 2.6.13 release, on the Intel i386 platform, a jiffy is by default 4 ms, or 1/250th of a second. The value for older Linux 2.6 kernels (up to 2.6.12), on same platform, is 1 ms, or 1/1000th of a second.

In physics (particularly in quantum physics and often in chemistry), a jiffy is the time taken for light to travel the radius of an electron. Sometimes a jiffy is defined as the time taken for light to travel one foot, or sometimes the width of a nucleon in a vacuum.

A jiffy in astrophysics and quantum physics, as defined by Edward R. Harris, is the amount of time it takes for light to travel one fermi (the size of a nucleon). One fermi is about 10^-13 cm, so a jiffy is equal to 10^-23 seconds. In the article, it is noted that the name was suggested for this unit by Richard Tolman.

.......wow..... ....`
Old 02-19-2007, 06:52 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Begle1

Now that is a political answer right there! He answered the question , in a roundabout way , but i still don't know how long it takes to "be there in a Jiffy"
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JKM
Now that is a political answer right there! He answered the question , in a roundabout way , but i still don't know how long it takes to "be there in a Jiffy"
It's a defined duration of time shorter than what the human brain can actually discern, so by saying "be there in a jiffy" you are using a tired old hyperbole that implies whatever you think it does.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Be there in a jiffy means you'll be there after they start looking for you, but before they run out of beer...
Old 02-19-2007, 06:59 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
And, Begle1 has made me feel dumber than dirt, once again.

Hey, Begle! Want to do some litature homework? I pay $50 for an 'A'!

Quick Reply: In a Jiffy...