Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ironic or Sad?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ironic or Sad?

Saw these 2 articles on CNN.com's Education page today.
The first one is about a bill in Texas to include Body Mass Index (BMI) on school kids' report cards because of the number of overweight children in school. The second article is about how school districts in the nation are dumping Phys. Ed. class for various reasons.
Just thought this was ironic.
BMI on report cards
Dumping Phys. Ed.

~Rob
Old 01-20-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They are taking kids health serious now here in Texas. No more snack or soda machines in schools. The food menus are healthier. Teaching healthy eating habits at a younger age.
I say do whatever it takes to make healthy kids. It pays off in the long run.

MikeyB
Old 01-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hotdram,
Off subject, but have you seen this?
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls/polaris.html
Old 01-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Tire Hater

Originally posted by MikeyB
They are taking kids health serious now here in Texas. No more snack or soda machines in schools. The food menus are healthier. Teaching healthy eating habits at a younger age.
I say do whatever it takes to make healthy kids. It pays off in the long run.

MikeyB
Now that sucks. If I were still in high school I'd organize an uprising.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

It sure does suck. If they took the snacks out of my school there'd be a riot.
Oh well, kids are fat. Woopedy doo. Why should anybody care but the kid?
As soon as they start looking for the good looking members of the opposite sex, they'll trim down again.
Or not worry about it, under which case more power to them.

The only problem I can see is rising health costs. So make it cost more to insure fat people. That'd solve the problem.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:18 PM

All this started in the Reagan years, when he cut funding waaaaaay back. Remember when he wanted them to categorize ketchup as a vegetable? Now days the cafeterias serve pre-prepared food. They just take it out of a box and warm it up. Lots of fat, sugars, preservatives, stuff like that. When I was a kid, the lunch ladys prepared everything from scratch. Yeast Rolls, REAL hamburger meat (not mystery meat like today), You walked down the line and they put a meat and three vegetables on your plate, you had no choice in what you ate, and the teachers made you eat ALL of it.
Now, the kids have like 3 choices of meat, (but it is all that breaded crap) or they can even eat just sweets.
I know for a FACT that the lunch we were served in my school was the only decent meal a lot of my classmates would get each day. (I was from a pretty poor rural area)
If we want to change things for the better, we all have to dig deeper in our pockets to pay for it.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Banned

I'm for it man have you guys really looked around you there are some really young kids that are just fat. Im not talking chunky I mean fat I was overweight as young kid and man it is miserable luckily for me my brother was the biggest kid in school so nobody harassed me that much but it sucked. If something doesnt get done about this we will have young kids dieing of heart attacks and other health conditions brought on from obesity like diabetes. I dont let my kids drink soda or eat fast food soda=empty calories fast food is just fat in disguise just my 2 cents
Old 01-21-2005, 06:27 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
More irony.
Found on thehighroad.com

Derek Kieper wrote this column in the Daily Nebraskan last year, arguing against laws requiring the use of seat-belts. He commented:

Quote:
What frightens me more about safety belt laws is the intrusion they represent to Americans. Democrats should take notice. Choice is an important aspect of freedom – choice to do as I see fit with my body and being.

Yet, the government has decided that I do not have the choice to drive around without my seat belt. It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take. It is ridiculous to legislate actions that have no immediate effect on other individuals.

Telling me to wear my seat belt is the same as making sure I have some sort of proper education before diving into a swimming pool. If I want to dive in without knowing how to swim, that is my right. And if I want to be the jerk that flirts with death and rides around with my seat belt off, I should be able to do that, too.

Well, guess what? From the Lincoln Journal Star (http://www.journalstar.com/articles...59784029686.txt), today:

Quote:
Derek Kieper was a smart, funny, intense young man who relished a good debate and would do anything for his friends.

Kieper, a 21-year-old senior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, died early Tuesday morning when the Ford Explorer he was a passenger in travelled off an icy section of Interstate 80 and rolled several times in a ditch. Kieper, who was riding in the back seat of the Explorer, was ejected from the vehicle.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead
More irony.
Found on thehighroad.com

Derek Kieper wrote this column in the Daily Nebraskan last year, arguing against laws requiring the use of seat-belts. He commented:

Quote:
What frightens me more about safety belt laws is the intrusion they represent to Americans. Democrats should take notice. Choice is an important aspect of freedom – choice to do as I see fit with my body and being.

Yet, the government has decided that I do not have the choice to drive around without my seat belt. It is my choice what type of safety precautions I take. It is ridiculous to legislate actions that have no immediate effect on other individuals.

Telling me to wear my seat belt is the same as making sure I have some sort of proper education before diving into a swimming pool. If I want to dive in without knowing how to swim, that is my right. And if I want to be the jerk that flirts with death and rides around with my seat belt off, I should be able to do that, too.

Well, guess what? From the Lincoln Journal Star (http://www.journalstar.com/articles...59784029686.txt), today:

Quote:
Derek Kieper was a smart, funny, intense young man who relished a good debate and would do anything for his friends.

Kieper, a 21-year-old senior at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, died early Tuesday morning when the Ford Explorer he was a passenger in travelled off an icy section of Interstate 80 and rolled several times in a ditch. Kieper, who was riding in the back seat of the Explorer, was ejected from the vehicle.

pretty selfish attitude. doesn't think about his grieving parents, brothers, sisters, nor the danger he presented to the other passengers nor the emt that has to pick the scraps up on the side of the road.... Although it does make a guy wonder wether his last thoughts were "should have used a seat belt...."
Old 01-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

They tried this in my high school when I was there. The school lost a ton of money. So they opened the snack machines back up. I think it's an invasion of privacy to have to include your body mass on your report card. It's your body. You do with it as you please but don't punish me for it. Also, some people are just naturally big. No matter what they eat or how much they work out. The school cafeteria food is only part of the problem. The other part is the kids go home after school and sit on the internet all day or play video games and never go outside and play and exercise. I'm extremely guilty of this, but I only weigh 140 lbs and I'm 6' tall. We need to encourage kids to go outside and play and run around. Get them exercising.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BMI is a flawed measurement because it cannot differentiate between fat and lean muscle mass.

Therefore, by BMI, a guy like Arnold Schwarzenegger (in his prime) is considered morbidly obese.

Also, my BMI, the skinny kid that plays video games all day and eats junk food is considered "healthy".

BMI is still used because studies show that there is a link to BMI and risks for heart disease and diabetes, even if you are rather fit.

Justin
Old 01-21-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
BTW-- for those of you concerned with gov't intrusion, consider reading Thomas Sowell's four-part column called "the High costs of Busybodies"

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/t...20031202.shtml

Click on the "archive" the get the other 3 parts.

Justin
Old 01-22-2005, 08:17 PM

Whatever the case...

Kids will be kids and they will eat as they please... You dont nesseserily have to take their foods away, just get them off their butts, away from nintendos and playstations, or computers and make them exercise. Or put them in something that keeps them active.. I admit eating habits wont change, but at least you are balancing out their eating habits with exercise.

I think its sad that alot of kids are overweight now.. But that would be what id do, yet my genetics run thin, My father is 6'2 185 lbs, mom is 5'4 about 115lbs (shhhhhhh )) and I stand about 6'2 and 155lbs, 6'4 with my double J's and proud of it. yes i know im skinny, lanky is more like it, but i work out, lift weights, stay active, and my body shows results... id say if kids would do the same, then results would be good for them.. I eat fast food, i dont have a choice with an hour for lunch and traffic takin me 35 mins to get home, plus i admit, i dont get up early enough to pack lunch, so i eat and run, and go to school, work and so on and so forth.... Overall i think ok.. BUt i wouldnt doubt that lipitor might be in my future.....

TxDiesel007