Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Inivisible dog fence??'s

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Invisible dog fence??'s

Anyone have an invisible fence for your dog(s)? How do you like it? Would you do it again?
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 PM

I have one in the front yard for my 11 month old Great Dane. Works like a charm. Once or twice she jumped across the "fence" when we first put it up, but she stays clear now. I would definately do it again. BTW, I did the do-it-yourself (I think the brand was Innotec). Just buy the cheapest one on Amazon. Don't buy extra wire, even if you need it. Much cheaper to buy single strand wire from Lowes or somewhere if you need more.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:56 PM

I put one in for my dog and I was not satisfied with the results. My dog knew where the wire was and he decided if what was on the other side of the wire was worth the shock. Once he went over the wire and chased whatever it was there was no reason for him to come back into the yard and get a shock again by returning, so he just stayed outside the yard. It did as much good keeping him out of the yard as it did keeping him in the yard. Would not buy one again.
Jay
Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Banned

like the first person said I love Mine to!!! Innotec or something like that got mine at menards. Works great, the first couple times our two dogs would cross it and get confused but after a week or so with supervision they stay clear. 3 yrs later probably the best investment ever. The collars are strong and well made! I have a 80 pound chesapeak and a 70 pound belgian malinos and the are always play fighting and biting each other and the collars hold together. It also has built in features so it can hurt the dog if they get trapped. I just set my wire out where i wanted it then laid my sod over it. works like a charm. Get one u will love it.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pull Ya
I put one in for my dog and I was not satisfied with the results. My dog knew where the wire was and he decided if what was on the other side of the wire was worth the shock. Once he went over the wire and chased whatever it was there was no reason for him to come back into the yard and get a shock again by returning, so he just stayed outside the yard. It did as much good keeping him out of the yard as it did keeping him in the yard. Would not buy one again.
Jay
I had the same results with mine . If there was something outside the yard my dog wanted to chase it would cross the fence at a run and as you said the shock would then keep him outside the yard .
Training is important . It takes time to teach the dog where the fence is so they avoid it without getting shocked . The fence I bought came with red flags to put up to show where it was .
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

yup exactly. training is the key to this. Its not very hard and doesnt take much time at all. Once a guy puts the flags up or actually before, i went to menards and bought a bundle of a hundred extra and really marked it out. I have about 3/4 of an acre and i think the kit didnt come with that many. Anyways i put a leash on the dog and walk them in to the shock area all around the yard and of course use commands and point out the flags. It seems mean at first but it works great.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Friend has one.....loves it.......keeps his dogs in with no problem......they are very expensive Dalmatians he sells nation wide, and he lives on a busy road.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pardon my ignorance but don't they make a kit where the collar shocks more and more as the dog leaves the perimeter??? I thought I seen one that emits a normal shock at the line, but once crossed it will shock harder as the dog gets further away. I'm not exactly sure on that, just thought I seen something like that before.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 AM

[QUOTE=rip 112;2593997]... don't they make a kit where the collar shocks more and more as the dog leaves the perimeter???

The system I used had warnings before the notifying shock.

As others have said, you have to spend some time training the dog what causes the shock. He needs to discover the boundary and as he approaches it gets a notice things aren't normal. Once he's turned away from the pain a few times he learns not to challenge it.

That's the same thing the above posters mentioned, they just trained their dog to stay out instead of in. If the dog crosses the wire and gets the shock he doesn't like it and avoids it. But now he's outside the desired containment area and has defeated the purpose of the tool.

Simple reminder: Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult. Just like your momma did you when you didn't behave!!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:57 PM

just me - but i completely disagree with the shock collars/fences. not the cruelty issue, because i think it startles them more than anything.

you can achieve much better results by spending time and training your dog properly. yes, it does take time, and it can be frustrating, but you will know your dog will behave anywhere - not just in your yard.

i believe the shock collar/fence is a lazy man's way of trying to control the dog. if you don't have the time and energy to train it properly, then you should reconsider even owning a pet.

this is my opinion, i know it's a strong one, but i have seen first-hand my own dog and others completely transform into a well-behaved pet with only a leash for equipment. the key is to train them in areas which are new, unfamiliar, and full of distractions.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM

well i got one for my GSP and it is the stubborn dog model so its got a little more power. The box inside the house is adjustible to when it starts shocking him. The coller makes a audible beeping before it shocks him to warn the dog. My dog stops at the beeping and jumps up and own digging to try and get the wire he saw me bury and fix on occasion. i have 1 foot trench around my backyard and there is nothing i can do about it till i build a six foot fence and take the coller off
Old 10-03-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Mine is the cheap version as said before, the innotec. It has many features that are part of the system. a time out feature built into the collar so the dog cant continually get shocked, adjust your yard size, adjust how big of a boundry you want(distance away from the wire, shock strength for differnt size dogs low, medium, and high, and others for the safety of the pet. You have to shop around and read what you want. I also have the audio beep if they get to close before it shocks.
As for this being a lazymans fix I agree and disagree. I have it for added insurance!! The breeds I have and the work I have put into them would be a big loss to lose. I train all our dogs to walk with out a leash and obey even when away from me say a 100 yards out. I believe highly in trainning to the max. Then again they are just dogs andcuriousity killed the cat. Just like mentioned above about the dalmations, the breeds I have are super expensive to start with then add all the time invested in training its just cheap insurance. The fence cost like a hundred dollars and can be installed by yourself. There are losers out there who do have a dog just to have a dog though. That is the lazy mans way out! I have some idiot down the street who has a gsd and it is constantly tied to a chain. I have never seen anyone with the dog or anything it just sits and digs and barks. I dont get it. Thats my opinion and you cant go wrong with one. Just dont let your dogsit and watch you dig and put it in. like said above he may just figure the ins and outs.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:35 PM

...Now, if somebody would invent one effective against illegal aliens...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Banned

HAHA good thinkin
Old 10-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
Originally Posted by gadget.35-06
...Now, if somebody would invent one effective against illegal aliens...
They have it called a AR15

Quick Reply: Inivisible dog fence??'s