Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I rear ended someone

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rear ended someone

Last Friday on the way home from work. All of a sudden brake lights and I skid into a Tundra...Pow and the airbag popped! My first accident ever with 15yrs under the belt too. Torks me that I let it happen. The big burly bumper saved a lot of other damage & sent it forward into the Toyota. I have to replace the airbag, Radiator and core support, intercooler, oil cooler, grille, hood, and some other little items. The bumper is just getting beat back into shape & put back on. Estimate says $4068 and about 3 weeks to fix. I wonder if I can get away with saying, "the trans didn't slip before >!" "You better call this shop here, that's D T T in Washington" . At least insurance pays for a rental so I can get to work...but cars suck ! I want it back now :'( :'( :'(
Old 03-06-2003, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:I rear ended someone

Don't feel bad, last friday I change my oil and filter in the garage and it is right below the bedrooms so I though I would push it outside to start it, put the grilfriends little sister in the cab to stop it when I got it pushed out the door, well she didn't know there was three pedels 30 fott later 6 to 8&quot; tree wack, $6500 to fix hopefully next week I can have it back.<br>Heath
Old 03-06-2003, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Glad you're ok, and sounds like the other guy is as well.<br><br>I'd take this opportunity to get a &quot;real&quot; bumper though.<br><br>As you found out, the stock bumper isn't worth much when it comes to protecting the front end of these trucks.<br><br>DOR, Ruenell, Buckstop, UTE, spring to mind.<br><br>Maybe you won't have to replace any of that ever again.<br><br><br>phox
Old 03-07-2003, 05:54 AM

??? Hay there Nevernuf THIS IS JUST MY 2 CENTS BUT, AN I QUOTE ( I wonder if I can get away with saying, &quot;the trans didn't slip before !&quot; &quot;You better call this shop here, that's D T T in Washington&quot; . ) tHIS IS THE KIND OF STUFF THAT REALLY GETS ME. <br> THEN PEOPLE WONDER WHY THAT INSURANCE COST SO MUCH. THIS IS CALLED INSURANCE FRAUD AN IF CAUGHT YOU WILL GO TO JAIL. I hope you are just kidding.<br> I know I don't want my Insurance to go any higher, an one way to stop it is to stop fraud.<br> Well I said my peace now it's up to you to do what you want.<br> thanks Bob :-X<br> <br><br>
Old 03-07-2003, 07:46 AM

I agree with you DeeZilla. Our insurance is high in CO, company policy goes up every year (not just a little). Nevrenufh, I feel your pain, hopefully the guy you hit isn't looking at this as a free ticket to fix all that is wrong. I had hit some bit.. in an old Mercedes. She was at a stop light, it was icy. Light turns green, she nails it (doesn't know how to drive). I can't get stopped, honk a couple of times. She has enough time to look back at us twice. Still can't get traction to get moving (DUH). Lets us hit her. Just a little dent on her bumper, no injuries. We wait for the cop to come. When he asks if anyone is injured, she starts rubbing her neck... :-X I offer to pay for damage rather than turn it in to insurance. She calls a few days later. Shop wants almost $3k to fix. She had them doing trunk, rear quarters, trunk floor, WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE!!! &gt; So, I turn it over to insurance. Tell them what she is doing and the reply is I hit her and that is what I have insurance for(also tell me I do not want to get involved for paying for someone who may complain of injury a few years down the road). Total damage to truck - picked up front tag and had to screw it back on. Her car $3k - YEAH RIGHT!!! I hope I see her in the rear view.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:24 AM

Yes I was kidding :, and Yes it is a real bumper 8). I even told them to leave the chips &amp; scratches in it, because it's just gonna get beat more up on the mounain roads. I saved them a little $$. Sorry, I was venting and blabbing.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:39 AM

;D Hay there Nevernuf I thought you were, I do the samething an then after I say it I think (you idiot why did you say that) But you know as well as I do there are a lot of people that do that kind of thing an that is why INS. is so high PLUS THE COMPANYS WANT TO STUFF THERE POCKETS.<br> bOB
Old 03-07-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

One thing my friends have done, and it is perfectly legal, but when they rear ended someone, they asked for a cowl hood. As long as the cowl hood was of equal or lesser value than the original one, then you shouldn't have an issue replacing it. Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a note, your biggest concern might be the other individual involved.
I was involved in a &quot;Rear-Ender&quot;, didn't even leave a mark on the other vehicle. : no exaggeration either (not a scratch)
THREE YEARS yup 3 years later, I get served 'cuz the &quot;person&quot; is now suing me for $1.5 MILLION yup no missprint for &quot;Injuries and pain &amp; suffering&quot;. (Soft tissue neck injuries) :
After making my life hell (thought I was gonna lose my house and everything else) for 6 months (Insurance Co. told me they're only responsible for the 1st $500,000), the BI*** &quot;settled&quot; for $25,000. &gt;
BTW she had just become preganant with her 2nd child.
I guess he is going to college on the &quot;My Dime&quot; scholarship.
Rant over......watch your .....well the rear of your front.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:35 PM

Sort of what I was talking about. Hit someone in the rear and you just signed a blank check. Man, I glad I didn't go through what you did Shovelhead. At least you should get to choke the sh** outta them if they claim bogus neck injuries.
Old 03-07-2003, 03:40 PM

what's pathetic is our court system allows this crap to happen...
Old 03-07-2003, 03:43 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=10;threadid=11907;start=0#112849 date=1047056496]<br>One thing my friends have done, and it is perfectly legal, but when they rear ended someone, they asked for a cowl hood. As long as the cowl hood was of equal or lesser value than the original one, then you shouldn't have an issue replacing it. Just a thought.<br>[/quote]<br>That is what I did, I called and ordered a rear bumper from Southwest Fabricators out of Junction, Texas, I just have to pay the difference, and with a $500 deductible and me paying the difference the bumper is going to cost me the same if not more than what it would have if I would have just bought it out right. &gt; Oh well, Heath
Old 03-07-2003, 03:47 PM

It is always better to be the hammer than the nail. Ranch hand front end replacement and rear bumper on mine. <br><br>I hope I never hit anyone, and I try to drive in a manner so that I don't. However, in Houston traffic, you never know what will happen.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:02 PM
Banned

[quote author=me4osu link=board=10;threadid=11907;start=0#112965 date=1047073643]<br>I hope I never hit anyone, and I try to drive in a manner so that I don't. However, in Houston traffic, you never know what will happen.<br>[/quote]<br><br>You said it brother.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:21 PM

I may be up the creek here too. They guy I hit does some business off that truck....so here comes the lost time &amp; revenue thing I'm sure. Out-a my hands now.

Quick Reply: I rear ended someone