Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I am Considering getting into a Heavy equipment Career (have ???'s).

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am Considering getting into a Heavy equipment Career (have ???'s).

After 14 years, I finally realized that I am completely burnt out in my current occupation and have always wanted to get involved in running / driving heavy equipment, but I really don't know the direction to take to get started.

I have looked at a couple of training schools that will give me a certification from "National Center for Construction Education and Research" (NCCER). This certification / training includes (up to level III):
-Backhoe
-Wheel Loader
-Dump Truck
-Skid Steer
-Tractor Trailer CDL
-Bulldozer
-Scraper
-Compactor
-Hydraulic Excavator
-Telescoping Excavator
-Motor Grader

I know it is difficult to get into this kind of work without experience under your belt, so I need to know if this (NCCER) certification really means something to get my foot in the door, or if it really doesn't mean anything and is just going to be a 2 month and $12K waste of time / money.

So you guys that are doing this kind of work, is this certification recognized? Will it help me get my foot in the door and get me some advantage if I can operate all the equipment above, or is there a better route? I have some guys looking into gettin me into the Local union here, but figured that this training (on numerous machinery) may help make me more valuable when / if I get a job doing this work.

Is this type of employment a decent field to get into, I am not looking to become "Rich", I just want to make a decent "middle" class living? I understand that (especially here in the mid-west [STL, Missouri]) there is possibilities of layoffs, etc. What I am asking is; Is this field "flooded" with layed off workers looking for work or is it pretty steady employement?

I am leaning towards a school in Wisconsin called ATS (Associated Training Services Network) has anyone had any experience with this place?

I know these are some vague questions, but please answer any you can. I am really looking for guys that are in this field to give me some advise on the do's and don'ts of getting started. If you feel more comfortable e-mailing me instead of posting here please feel free to xj6in@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,
Dave Morris
Old 04-02-2005, 09:00 PM

Can't help but would be curious to know what you do now.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:17 PM
Banned

I'm not in the industry, but I do provide services to it. It's difficult for me to say what it will be like around St. Louis. Here in NE Ohio we have a number of certified operators and a number of guys who don't have squat. Last April I hired a driver that has operated just about every piece of heavy equipment made. He previously worked for a Department of Defense contractor in Virginia. Let's just say at age 43 he doesn't need to work anymore. He does only to have something to do, but he did mention that in NE Ohio he would rather not get into the industry because he did not feel he woould be justly compensated. Unfortunately he moved back to Virginia after being on my payroll only a couple months. He said he missed his family! Best wishes whatever you decide to do.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in cali years ago I got into heavy eq ops. friend owned a contracting firm and says just go join the union "IUOE" $1200 worth and go see this guy. I ended up running mostly scrapers Cat 657,637. Terex TS 32 and 24`s and a D-8 push cat, occasional compaction eq also. Knowledge in what your doing regarding grading surveying will definatly be a ball in your court. The union here typically has you serve a apprenticeship prior to doing much ops. I made $28.85 an hour to start running a twin engine Uclid POS. Thrilling to the bone, no brakes retarders etc, ***** to the wall 8th gear down hill in the cut, 3.5 million yards on 1 side of the road and 5.5 on the other.
The truth, It was fun while it lasted, work ran out and traveling 10 hours every couple of days got old. If your good and a company that stays busy picks you up you`ll be set. Alot of guys lived like gypsies traveling all over, great if single, terrible if married and kid on the way.
I eventually ended up in a civil service job on a backhoe or 10 wheeler and wished I stayed there. moved north and now Im a turd farmer.
Do it, you wont regret it. Just cant say on the class bit, sounds pricy to me.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:21 PM

Currently a Engineering Planner for aerospace industry, but potentially getting layed off in the near future. I don't have a degree just fell into it throught 14 years experience. I just don't want to sit behind a desk anymore, I have always enjoyed working more labor type jobs. I have always been around / used heavy farm equipment, med duty trucks, and worked on bobcats, etc... but never enough to use as "experience" when applying for a job of this type.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:41 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

With 14 years experience, you might look into going professional. www.ncees.org for more information on your state.
If you dont want to be office bound, look for a field engineer position.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:24 AM

The schools you are talking about are nice, but you are only going to learn as much as the teacher knows and what you can pick up yourself. I have been in the field for 26 yrs. and have been in bus. for myself for 20. I do carry a union card out of st louis just so I can work on any job I want. I do mostly bobcat work and backhoe work with dumptruck on the side. When I started I went to work for my brother running bobcats and he was one of the best around. Then I got tied in with a company and they had a old operator that I learned to run crane from. I have found when starting out to find the guy who is best on the machine and try to stick with him cause he knows all the little shortcuts to make the job easier. If you stick to a company that works on prevailing wage jobs the money will be alot better. The unions aren't bad but you will travel and the apprenticeship is not the best paying job to start. Sometimes when the unions run out of men they will issue permits to work on, that is top pay to start. It's not a bad way of life, at 44 I have everything payed for and a real decent nest egg put away. I ussually only try to work 9 months a year just to have some time off. If you really want to work hard and get alot of hrs in 80 to 100, 000 is easy to make. I have hit way over that almost every yr. Good Luck
Old 04-03-2005, 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the information guys,

I know that the school will only teach you the "up front stuff" and basic skills, then you have to build from there by experience.

gwhammy,
it sounds like you have gone the exact route I hope to go in the future. I ultimately want to run backhoes, bobcats, and drive dump trucks; but I will not be picky about what I wind up doing until I get some experience and learn the trade. I am not for or against the unions, but I figured that to get work around my area I would definately need a union card. I plan on learning the trade, building up a little money, eventually buying a piece of equipment hear and there and eventally retiring and being able to do a little side work at my leisure. I don't mind working hard, don't mind long hours, and the family issues are not a problem for me any more.

I would like to stay within couple of hours from this area, but can't be to picky for a while. About the pay, I figured out if I can pull off about 38K a year, then I can make ends meet (as long as I know the pay can improve down the road) I can make that work for a while.

You guys have already helped alot, I truely appreciate all the advice and information. Keep it coming if you have anymore.

Thanks again,
Dave
Old 04-03-2005, 09:47 PM

I'm sure those schools are fine but you can not teach somebody to be an operator. Operators are born not made, I have worked with both and you can tell a difference
Old 04-04-2005, 05:31 AM
Chapter President

I'm not a operator and I never thought I could make money in the construction field....But after years as a truck mechanic....I own some equipment a bobcat a old bulldozer and a beat up dump truck and a john deere with a bucket and back hoe

I now hire out my services and equipment.....and stay busy doing odd jobs in my area....my bobcat service keeps me busy and it doesn't take much experience to lean how to operate one I can move allot of dirt in 8 hours with my skid steer.....I get $250.00 for a 8 hour work day my only expense is for diesel fuel because the equipment is paid for, my girlfriend works with me on some jobs she drives the dump truck and can operate the skid steer, I'm working a job now using my skid steer the john deere and my dump truck makin $550.00 a day setting up mobile home sites for a mobile home dealer

Like 24valvepuller said most good operators are born not trained,, you need to have a feel for becoming a operator of equipment.....one of my pet peeves is a operator that abuses the equipment I have hired operators when I need extra help and found some operators that may be good at moving dirt but they break the equipment doing it.....a good operator knows how to move dirt but also knows the limit of his equipment
Old 04-04-2005, 08:03 PM

I used to work with an Operator named Dave Morris... Big huge hairy guy, we call him "The Bear"... learned a heck of a lot from him, best thing to do in your case is to find a company that will hire you and then try to learn from the best they have. What will likely happen is that you will get hired as a labourer and they will eventually move you up to easy operating and eventually, once you're confident and they like what you do you will be running pretty much whatever it is you want. That's how it went for me and many other people I know. At first it was tough getting a job but once other people see you working you will get more and more job offers. So far this year I've had to turn down 3 truck driving jobs and 2 operator jobs... Not bad considering just 5 years ago I was running around like a chicken without a head trying to get hired somewhere... Don't know how much those courses will help you, so far nobody I worked for asked for such a course... I'm going to be starting from scratch again here in the next few weeks, I'm just about finished my aircraft mechanic's course and then I'll be the bottom feeder all over again. Hope this helps,
Toby in Squamish, B.C.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:58 AM

what 24valvepuller said, you gota wana be one. i started at age 6 and loved it ever sence, now i have a few thousand hours on. I see so many people who cant operate but try too. I think the school isnt worth the time and money, i didnt even know there was one. Most guys just pick it up. Start off on a compactor, then move to a bobcat, doing simple things like moving material. You just start moving your way up. if you learn to run a hoe, then that helps to run a big excavator, learn to run a skiploader, that will help on a big wheel loader...... get the point. what you need is time doing it. I say if you really like equipment, and you really want to go for it.