Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hydrogen

Old 08-11-2005, 06:42 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hydrogen

I figure this board has a few intellectuals closer to there college chem days then I am who might be able to answer this question for me.

I am trying to figure out how much energy a hydrogen atom will generate in electrical terms when it is separated from its valance electron.

As in: electron taken off, bumped down a copper wire, and join back up with hydrogen at the other end of said copper wire. Basicly a fuel cell, how much amp, or watts or volts per mole of H2 are created.

I know how much energy it takes to separate the H2 from the O. ~ 65 W/h or 5.5 amps per hour with a 12 V battery with one Mole of water.

If perhaps someone can dirrect me to a website with the formula for figuring it out (or just give me some ideas for search boolins (sp)).
Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM

Not sure what you're building, but I'm pretty sure I'm glad you aren't my neighbor.
Try Here
Or Here

~Rob
Old 08-12-2005, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Are you going to test this on top of a steel tower in the desert?
Just kidding..
Old 08-12-2005, 05:17 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how fast is the Fed monitoring group going on jump on this thread?????
Old 08-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If I see this off in the distance, I'll know your calculations were just a wee bit off.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do a google search on 'Nuclear Fission'. Lot's of reading.

Now if your looking for the ultimate power source, search for 'Fusion'.

MikeyB
Old 08-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Muted User

What I am researching is nothing new. Its a fuel cell from water. We already have the technology to make hydrogen from water through electrolosis, I am trying to figure out how much energy is made when the H2 is rejoined with the O2 and the electron is forced to travel through a wire instead of with the H2. Basicly a fuel cell. Thing is that type of information is still being kept close by the makers of the fuel cells.

But I did hear that one molecule of H2 will creat .175 V of electricity by shearing off the electron and rejoining it. Using avagados law and Amperes calculations and that voltage I stated earlier you should yeild 8.75 x 10 to the 7th KiloJoules from this reaction for one mole of H2.

To separate one mole of water into H2 and O2 it takes 237.13 Kilo Joules.

That is a major yeild of energy if my numbers that I have found are correct. For some reason I dont think they are, something cant be right with either my calculations or the information I am working off of.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:46 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, don't be suprised if Exxon/Mobile is knocking on your door at 6 in the morning. YOU KNOW TOO MUCH!
I'm not too far from you, I'll be willing to test a hydogen powered truck for you if need be.

Good luck, you are way smarter than me at this point............
Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 PM

Ok, you're talking about fusion.
Pretty good info here. http://www.jet.efda.org/pages/content/fusion1.html

MikeyB
Old 08-13-2005, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by screaminbanana

But I did hear that one molecule of H2 will creat .175 V of electricity by shearing off the electron and rejoining it. Using avagados law and Amperes calculations and that voltage I stated earlier you should yeild 8.75 x 10 to the 7th KiloJoules from this reaction for one mole of H2.

Does it make me stupid if I dont understand one bit of that????
Old 08-13-2005, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by Chrisreyn
Does it make me stupid if I dont understand one bit of that????
Nope ... like me, it make you part of the "majority"

PISTOL
Old 08-13-2005, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess I'm with the last two guys on this one,,,,,,,,,,
"Chrisreyn, PW, and RATTLIN reporting for the test flight sir"
Old 08-13-2005, 05:34 AM

I quit my electrical training at " stick your tongue on it and see if its still good...."
Old 08-13-2005, 06:41 AM

Originally posted by Chrisreyn
I quit my electrical training at " stick your tongue on it and see if its still good...."
Ouch! I learned about electricity with a boby pin in the wall outlet.

Back to combining Hydrogen with a oxygen atom. Under the ideal conditions heat and pressure is required in my thinking. For example, a hydrogen power vehicle with a internal combustion engine produces water vapor from it's exhaust.
Also got to think about the energy required to make hydrogen. Right now hydrogen is produced from LPG, and from my understanding it's not very cost effective right now, something like for every gallon of hydrogen produced requires roughly 8 gallons of gas.
Fusion is the ultimate power source, just like the sun. Still about 20yrs away in having that power source on a massive scale.

MikeyB
Old 08-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Muted User

Originally posted by MikeyB
Ouch! I learned about electricity with a boby pin in the wall outlet.

Back to combining Hydrogen with a oxygen atom. Under the ideal conditions heat and pressure is required in my thinking. For example, a hydrogen power vehicle with a internal combustion engine produces water vapor from it's exhaust.
Also got to think about the energy required to make hydrogen. Right now hydrogen is produced from LPG, and from my understanding it's not very cost effective right now, something like for every gallon of hydrogen produced requires roughly 8 gallons of gas.
Fusion is the ultimate power source, just like the sun. Still about 20yrs away in having that power source on a massive scale.

MikeyB
The energy required to make one mole of H2 is 237KJoules. From the numbers I have found it is about 8.2 x 10^8th KJoules of energy produced when you combine them again and shave off the electron and run said electron through a copper wire.

I think there has to be something wrong with my calculations. That is a monumental gain of power.

As for fusion, that is more then 20 years off. It creates 100 million degrees C of heat when done with just a few atoms. This would mean you need a magnet capable of keeping atoms in one place and still let the energy out. That is about 100 years away at our current rate of energy research. No one wants to invest the trillions of dollars to figure out a way of doing that, not to mention its a chain reaction and if something goes wrong it will make our earth a new sun. Not a good thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hydrogen