Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hurricane Ike

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hurricane Ike

Look out Texas, its a comin!

Hope everybody on the coast is getting out of there soon, we're facing a category 2 by the time it hits central Texas, and who knows where it will go. Possibly may become category 4. Matagorda and Port Lavaca were in the sights lastnight, but never know. Its moving all over the place. Good luck to everybody trying to get out of there, we will be praying for ya'll. If there is any way i can help any of ya'll, please let me know. God Bless.

Patrick "Rick"
Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm willing to give up a body part for a generator right now. Should have bought one two weeks ago........

At least the chainsaw is ready.

MikeyB
Old 09-11-2008, 11:29 AM

Yeah i gots my 4000 watt Champion on standby, got wires run and shelter for it. I also got it staked down in case my contraption doesn't work. I'm trying to figure out what I will do with 9 puppies and their momma, stress is building.

I got my generator at TSC for 400 bucks and it has been flawless for 4,000 watts. Been a lifesaver.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Last night I saw 8 semi's with trailer sized generators parked at the truck stop by the Home Depot I was at. I went over and asked where they were headed...the answer was Texas. All the way from Saskatchewan Canada!
My brother lives in Houston...just called...his work shut down til after the storm is gone. Be safe down there.

Scotty
Old 09-11-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We only got the outskirts of it here in the keys and it gust to 75 blew over an emty 18 wheeler We were greatfull we didnt get it all but we will be prayin for you all out there. If you can get your hands on a mobile welder they usualy put out allot of power i know i can runn 220 of my trialblazer
Old 09-11-2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks man, Texas is so big Lord knows how devastating this could be, the last time this happened i wasn't even born yet or even close to thought of (Karla 1961). We'll be as safe as possible.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Were frantically trying to harvest what field plots we can before the storm hits. Texas A&M is shutting down tomorrow morning as most schools in the area are. Were packing up and going to a friend's house tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a small weekend place in Rockport, keep the boat there as well. Left work yesterday (San Marcos) to go board up the windows and haul the boat home and there was a train of travel trailers and boats headed north like I've never seen. Got the windows boarded up yesterday evening and headed home this morning at 7:00 am with the boat in tow, expecting traffic to be awful. The roads were dang near vacant, which was a pleasant surprise.

Ike's on track to come in at Freeport now, which means I'm on the "good" side of the storm, if there is such a thing. Wherever it hits, it's going to be bad.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:21 PM

I'm in Houston on Telephone rd. traffic is bumper to bumper on the beltway
People here are freakin out.
The media here is hyping up this storm.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's nuts around here. Lot of the stations are out of fuel now and the stations that does have fuel it's a 30 minute wait.

MikeyB
Old 09-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just called my bro who lives in N. Houston and he was at the pawn shop buying a shotgun but didn't get any shells...I'll tell you what. Anyway I begged him to come this way but he says the traffic is just too bad right now. Hopefully he'll be able to leave in the middle of the night but knowing him he'll fart around and miss the opportunity. I might just have to go down there and get'em.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:05 PM

Heck its nuts here! Just got back from ElCampo hauling an airstream back from Matagorda with a friend and it is frantic!

Here in LaGrange the HEB has no parking space, Wallyworld just went through their 2nd delivery of water TODAY, the lumber yards only have 1/8 inch plywood left, no batteries anywheres, no flashlights or candles. Hope everyone has what they need. Been watching the weather and they're calling for such an abrupt shift as it hits landfall. With the pressure pushing from Florida I'm not too sure the southern coast is out of the clear just yet, the beacon is still very wide and they pinpoint only the center spaghetti plot, quite a few of them still point this to Port Lavaca area. We're still gonna be facing 70-80mph winds.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:11 PM

I know all of us on here dont balieve in it but our church and a few others prayd ike would turn from us and it did we also prayed for the last one to weeken before it his Luisiana and it did so pray hard and be safe boys

Lord knows there nothing to play with
Old 09-11-2008, 03:19 PM

i left houston @ 8:30 this mornin and got down here to carrizo by 2ish, i10 sucked all the way to s.a. Once traffic was moving it was ok, i saw a boat load of black and whites headed into houston as i was leaving so a little faster then normal driving was on the menu.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:28 PM

Glad you got out of there bud. I bet I10 was horrible, it is always horrible. Did they have the ContraFlow open this morning? I know there was a mandatory evac for noon.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Ike