Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How to remove MS Vista and install MS winXP

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy How to remove MS Vista and install MS winXP

Wifes work IBM desktop came loaded with MS Vista. What she needs to run the job application SW is MS Windows XP. Has not been able to get rid of Vista and install XP. Have had MS support and IBM support all on the phone and so far can't get the XP installed.
Has any one here been able or tried to go back to XP?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 PM

try 'pcmag.com' ...Vista is the first program that 'MicroSoft' will HELP you revert from
Old 03-26-2007, 02:23 PM

The only successful way ive been able to go back is to delete the partition and reformat. A plain reinstall a plain format did not do it. Vista modifies the boot sector which is usually not touched with reformatting.

What i would recommend, is for her to download (free) Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and install windows xp through that. This will allow her to run XP and all XP based applications through a window in Vista.

Works like a charm.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Davey,
What exactly are you doing to install XP? There is no uninstall option for any Windows OS. You either upgrade to the next or you clean install what you want, XP in this case.

Do you have an XP CD? Boot from CD and go through the install routine.

If you have a valid XP cd and cd key call this number and tell them you need the setup performance team. (800) 936-3100

Better yet if her company provided IBM machines they surely have a Decktop support team. They can drop an image on the machine in short order. Is this PC on her desk in the office or at your home?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
The only successful way ive been able to go back is to delete the partition and reformat. A plain reinstall a plain format did not do it. Vista modifies the boot sector which is usually not touched with reformatting.

What i would recommend, is for her to download (free) Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 and install windows xp through that. This will allow her to run XP and all XP based applications through a window in Vista.

Works like a charm.
Nothing Microsoft related works like a charm... just give it time...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. Her boss purchased a new IBM desk top. Only OS availabe on them is the Vista. They have the XP CD's key codes and all. Her boss worked on the phone with MS support, and IBM untill about midnight Saturday night. It is a small company, don't have a IT department.
They are now going to return the desktop and get one with XP.
I am supprised that MS support could not get them tru the XP install.
W
Thanks for the help. Will let you know what happens.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM

If it didn't work and they are sending the computer back for another one then that's the way it is. I'm a server guy so I can't speak to any desktop issues or Vista for that matter.
all vendors put an image on the machine, so that image has all of the drivers in it. If you start a new install you have to have all of the drivers.

But its pretty clear that if IBM says trade it for another machine then it's not compatible with XP.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Not sure about the re-install part, but the DTR Chapter 7 members in Virginia have found a way to remove even the most stubborn 'Puter programs.......

....a little .38......a little 9mm.....a little .45....add a liberal dose of .223....and .308....and PRESTO......that nasty lil program won't bother you anymore.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:05 PM

If you have lots of hard drive space, download VirtualPC for free from Microsoft and install XP on top of Vista. It works GREAT! I have XP on my work laptop and have also installed Win2000, Win98 and DOS. You run the second operating system as an "application" and you can install any software you want into the other operating systems. This is NOT dual boot.

AMAZING SOFTWARE! Check it out here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx
Old 03-27-2007, 09:25 AM

Most all of the suggestions have been tried. The server at the head shed treats any messages that are from a Vista OS like an alien invader.
Shovelhead, wife like your suggestion, but wants to know what you have against a 357?
She took her personal laptop to work today so she can get her work done.

Thanks everone for the help, it is appricated.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 AM

Format and reinstall is the only good option to completely revert back. Just remember that some new HDDs are SATA and XP will require a seperate drive. Just as an FYI, Dell has workstations available with XP still (optiplex line).
Old 03-27-2007, 11:06 AM

I agree that Vista is a joke . Just bought two laptops from Dell and I am on my trusty Gateway with XP , can't stand Vista .
My Gateway with the super duper AMD 64 bit Athlon is my bread and butter even though it ate a hard drive 2 months out of warranty !!!
Vista seems alot slower than XP and is unstable ( kind of like Ford ) and I keep getting error messages about that goofy sidebar supplied by Microsoft not being compatible !!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 PM

Why not just pop a new hard drive in the computer and start fresh? Tehy are very cheap these days.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dssimecek
Shovelhead, wife like your suggestion, but wants to know what you have against a 357?
Small oversight.......
We've pretty much got everything covered from to
Old 03-28-2007, 10:57 AM

Update on the wifes work computer. She now has a Toshiba Laptop with XP on it. She will be loading applications software today.
Shovelhead, thanks for all the photos, but they want the computer returned without bullet holes and battle scars. picky, picky.

On the IBM could not get into the BIOS to change the boot sequence, and boot of CD was not in as an option. Would have had to put a floppy drive on or in the computer and boot that way.

Untill she gets the new Toshiba up and running she is using her personal laptop.

Thanks all for the help.

Quick Reply: How to remove MS Vista and install MS winXP