Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

how do you hide your TurboTax data files on your computer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
how do you hide your TurboTax data files on your computer?

are they encrypted/secure in any form?

looks just to be a database, that if someone got access to your laptop, they would have a lot of data on you.

so do you just delete all the files (how? uninstall Ttax?)

or just archive all the files (which files?) onto a CD, and reload next year so they are automatically imported into next years forms?

i've got all the normal Anti-V and stuff on the computer.

just paranoid, but know next year's form will want this years data to do some number crunching.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the burn to CD/DVD (at least 2 copies + printed copy) and then delete. That way there is nothing left on the PC. I personally am not that paranoid, but you make a good point. But hackers don't often target personal users that are behind firewall/routers, unless they are kids messing around. The real hackers will have specific targets (in my opinion).
Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use several different computers one i have set up with important financial items on it and only use it for that it also has anti virus personal firewall etc. The only time it is on line is when it needs to be. I use my other ones to come on here and play or any other web travel this way the important stuff on the other one is exposed as little as possible to the hackers.

You could also add a second smaller hard drive to use for financial and then just unplug the cables to it. Dead end for the hacks.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by nirion
I like the burn to CD/DVD (at least 2 copies + printed copy) and then delete. That way there is nothing left on the PC. I personally am not that paranoid, but you make a good point. But hackers don't often target personal users that are behind firewall/routers, unless they are kids messing around. The real hackers will have specific targets (in my opinion).
The only way to go. Burn a CD and delete though this does not permanatly delete the files.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:12 PM

Get a external hard-drive, and when you do next years taxes, install the program on the external and have it save everything on the external. When done, just unplug. Leaves a dead end and you can take it with you or hide it.

Just my $.02 worth

Jon
Old 04-12-2007, 07:13 PM

Thats right they are still in there that is why i don't rely on the delete method.
Also your credit car numbers if you purchase things on line and a whole lot of other personal info they are interested in getting. Computers are so cheap to throw together or pick up from someone upgrading grab one for web use only.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:38 PM

http://www.truecrypt.org/
Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 PM

You have a significantly higher risk of having your information stolen from those you send it to or those you have accounts with versus off your own computer.

Unless, in case provided, your personal computer is stolen.

Heres what you do:

Build a pneumatic (spelling?) nail gun into the desk below laptop.

Center laptops harddrive over nail gun.

Install some sort of switch to activate gun when laptop is moved.

Install key on/off for nail gun.

There you have it. When unauthorized party moves your laptop, a nail goes through shattering the laptop drives platters rendering the data useless.