Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

home ownership is over rated

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
home ownership is over rated

well as many of you know, last year I had a pretty good roof leak. A pastor from church came to the rescue and did a roof job (he, myself and 2 other buddies) in 16 hours did the whole roof, laid out the joists, sheeted, synthetic torch down, and cemented the edges. Well today my son and I had a chance with good weather and just sitting around we decided to apply some aluminum roof paint. bought 2 4.75 gallon buckets, 18" roller and extension, some cut brushes for the boy to paint around the protrusions and around the swamp cooler. well needless to say even after using SPF WHITE BOY we still got some color (more red than any other color) and had to use flippen paint thinner to get the crap off our hands. son was wearing shorts so he got more on his legs than on the roof! LOL

Now on to sheet rock repairs and paint. Tile is done, then sheet rock, paint and baseboard trim.

home ownership sucks sometimes! LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homes and vehicles, both money pits...
Old 05-27-2011, 05:20 PM
Chapter President

ya but at least I can make money with my truck. I will never buy a 65 year old house again. when I move to back to Idaho in 3 years, I might just buy some 40' containers and bury them! LOL
Old 05-27-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
It's not the house, it's the payments.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't matter how old your house is either. Mine is just 10 and I had to do some investigating into a drip from an exhaust fan in the bathroom. Time for some re-chalking around some roof vents.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well I think homeless would suck more I live in a 63 year old house and the termites think its a grand place to be .and my roof leaks and when the wind blows it pushes the dust out the opposite windows , but I sure like it better then the river bottom.PTL
Old 05-28-2011, 02:55 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Doesnt matter how old or run down your house is. When you finally get it paid off and you can sit in it and know they can turn your power and gas off but they cant take it from you, its one of the greatest moments in your life.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, better than living in your car ! Things could always be worse too
Old 05-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Our house is 55 yrs old. Its undergone some major renovations. We are just turning the corner on the big changes. It looks like we are going to be ok for a few yrs before anything big occurs...again.

Chris, be greatful.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

My house is almost 40 years old. my only complain is the job that was done on the den.
When I bought the house, I put a roof on it. me, some buddies, some beer, LOTS of work laying almost 23 squares.
A bit over a month ago, I dropped $4500 having the roof replaced after a tree fell on it. I think it was a bargain.... I know there are times its gotta be done and you just cant afford it, but Im convinced, its worth a trip to the bank for a home improvement loan.

Last edited by BC847; 05-28-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Language
Old 05-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Scotty
Our house is 55 yrs old. Its undergone some major renovations. We are just turning the corner on the big changes. It looks like we are going to be ok for a few yrs before anything big occurs...again.

Chris, be greatful.
I am, its my first house and it has been a HUGE learning experience. Just like Rebel said. wind blows and I can site at my desk and feel it and watch the curtains move. just watching $$$ fly out the window. Can't afford new windows to get rid of these single pane casement crank out worthless things. Got a quote for replacement windows ($9000) and that was after all the discounts etc. they were sure pushing the financing and a free cruise . Been working on a remodel since I bought it. good thing is that I am doing 99% of it myself and saving a crap load of money and the little I have done has increased the value pretty good. its the only house in the neighborhood with a 2 car garage and was the model home back in the day. its a corner lot with a huge back yard and installing a 14 foot RV gate on the north end. tore down a wall to open up the kitchen/dinning room/living room, painted, now time for bedrooms and going to build a walk in closet off the west end of my room. anyone local good with wood? lol.. I am more metal. if I can't weld it up and grind it, i really don't like to mess with it but grinding teeth thru this place.

Last edited by BC847; 05-28-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Language
Old 05-28-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bark
Doesnt matter how old or run down your house is. When you finally get it paid off and you can sit in it and know they can turn your power and gas off but they cant take it from you, its one of the greatest moments in your life.
Depending on which state you live in if you quit paying your property taxes they can take it from you. I think that should be eliminated because you can't truly own your house. My house will be paid off the end of this year which will be a peace of mind. Looking forward to being debt free & soon retired so I can work on remodling the house.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:32 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by tankeryanker
Depending on which state you live in if you quit paying your property taxes they can take it from you. I think that should be eliminated because you can't truly own your house. My house will be paid off the end of this year which will be a peace of mind. Looking forward to being debt free & soon retired so I can work on remodling the house.
dunno what your property tax runs, but I think I can handle $400/year without much problems.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
dunno what your property tax runs, but I think I can handle $400/year without much problems.
I can handle my $1200.00 a year also but your missing the point. I know we all need to pay taxes to support our schools & community but being tied to home ownership should not be one of them. Eleminate personal income tax along with property tax & have a flat tax or a sales tax on a local & national level than everyone would be contributing. Even the illegals the self employed, the visitors to our country & community. The rich would be paying a fairer share because the more your wealth the more you spend. There would be a steadier stream of $$ comming into the system & eliminate the general public from having to keep records or look for deductions or loop holes. Yes it would put the burden on buisnesses to keep track of the $$ comming in as to how much needs to be paid out in taxes. However i feel it would eliminate alot of unneccesary record keeping. X amount of $$$ comming in = x amount of $$ to go to taxes.

Ok tax rant off. Sorry to the OP on getting side tracked from his original intent of this post.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs
I am, its my first house and it has been a HUGE learning experience. Just like Rebel said. wind blows and I can site at my desk and feel it and watch the curtains move. just watching $$$ fly out the window. Can't afford new windows to get rid of these single pane casement crank out worthless POS things. Got a quote for replacement windows ($9000) and that was after all the discounts etc. they were sure pushing the financing and a free cruise . Been working on a remodel since I bought it. good thing is that I am doing 99% of it myself and saving a crap load of money and the little I have done has increased the value pretty good. its the only house in the neighborhood with a 2 car garage and was the model home back in the day. its a corner lot with a huge back yard and installing a 14 foot RV gate on the north end. tore down a wall to open up the kitchen/dinning room/living room, painted, now time for bedrooms and going to build a walk in closet off the west end of my room. anyone local good with wood? lol.. I am more metal. if I can't weld it up and grind it, i really don't like to mess with it but grinding teeth thru this place.
I did the RV gates too. Each one is a bifold and eleven feet long.

Had old shutter style windows here that you could see the blinds and curtains flapping when closed. No heat ducts in the finished basement because the furnace leaked so much heat, none were needed. After we put the new furnace in we added 4 ducts and 2 cold air returns.

Before we did the insulation and new stucco, there would be ice 1-3" high up the north walls. Even frost behind my pillow.

Maybe you are spending too much money on 9 volt batteries in your quest with the go cart.

BAM! KUBOTA STRIKES!

Quick Reply: home ownership is over rated