Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Home A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:47 PM
TJE

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Home A/C question

MY central a/c is on it's last leg....the condensor. My ? is are all 13 seer or all 14 seer ratings the same? Or is one brand better than another? One a/c man I spoke with said that the big names are no better than some of the lesser names and have the same parts in them. Can someone help me?

Thanks, Tony
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like Carrier package units.......JMHO.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Two different a/c guys told me the same thing. Parts are all about the same. So for me, that means looking for the best deal on price, and who has the best warranty. And of course looking into the history of whoever is doing the install, to see if people are happy with them or not.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:17 AM
TJE

Originally Posted by ChrisJohnson
Two different a/c guys told me the same thing. Parts are all about the same. So for me, that means looking for the best deal on price, and who has the best warranty. And of course looking into the history of whoever is doing the install, to see if people are happy with them or not.
Yes this is what I was told....that most all of them have the same compressor in them. I also know that some of the lesser known brands have a ten yr warranty. I don't mind paying to dollar if there is a need for it, but not for a fancier paint job on the cover.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work for an a/c company in san antonio all i install is carrier and theyre great. Make sure to go with one with puron refridgerant r410-a the frion-r-22 systems are gonna be really expensive to maintain because they are doin away with r22 and are gonna stop making it which will make the price more than quadruple.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan Hyatt
I work for an a/c company in san antonio all i install is carrier and theyre great. Make sure to go with one with puron refridgerant r410-a the frion-r-22 systems are gonna be really expensive to maintain because they are doin away with r22 and are gonna stop making it which will make the price more than quadruple.
Exactly what I installed last Feb + the heat pump w/a 10k heat strip backup. Because ya know it gets so cold here in South Texas.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by TJE
MY central a/c is on it's last leg....the condensor. My ? is are all 13 seer or all 14 seer ratings the same? Or is one brand better than another? One a/c man I spoke with said that the big names are no better than some of the lesser names and have the same parts in them. Can someone help me?

Thanks, Tony

You might want to look at higher SEER ratings than 13. 13 is kind of the standard unit installed in new houses. There are units available up to SEER 19. Higher the SEER the lower the cost to operate - but the more expensive it is. But, saving 1/3 of your cooling bill each month can help pay for the upgrade.

Hal
Old 05-05-2010, 02:26 PM
TJE

Originally Posted by Wolfcsm
You might want to look at higher SEER ratings than 13. 13 is kind of the standard unit installed in new houses. There are units available up to SEER 19. Higher the SEER the lower the cost to operate - but the more expensive it is. But, saving 1/3 of your cooling bill each month can help pay for the upgrade.

Hal
Yes that is something I need to look into. One thing I need to check on is the inside unit....whatever that is called is an 80/20 efficency, and I think I can only go so high on the seer rating without changing out the inside part also.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks, Tony
Old 05-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Carriers are 15 years old (3 0f then). I've had zero problems.......they are commercial grade though.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:45 PM

Click Here.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by TJE
Yes that is something I need to look into. One thing I need to check on is the inside unit....whatever that is called is an 80/20 efficency, and I think I can only go so high on the seer rating without changing out the inside part also.

Can someone clear this up for me?

Thanks, Tony

When I changed out my 13SEER system for a SEER 19 system, they changed the entire unit inside also. I did add an air purifier system, to deal with wifes alergies. Also had to make the air intake larger. Took about six hours for them to install it all and have it up and running.

Hal
Old 05-06-2010, 05:44 PM

Reminder that the higher SEER equipment isn't worth the price if your house is not insulated very well.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 PM
TJE

Thanks everyone. The house is insulated pretty well.... it might be able to use a little more. One thing that might be a problem is the inside unit I've already replaced.....so I will have to find an outside unit that will work with the inside.

Thanks again, Tony
Old 05-06-2010, 07:42 PM

What brand is the air handler?

What refrigerant is it compatible with? (R-22 or R-410A)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:40 PM
TJE

Not for sure that this is the info you're looking for....it is a Rheem Classic super quiet 80.

This is what is on the label...I couldn't find any info on the refrigerant.

Tony

Quick Reply: Home A/C question