Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Home A/C help needed? What is a good brand to buy? ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Home A/C help needed? What is a good brand to buy? ASAP

Hopping someone in home heating/Air condition can answer and help me..I have about a 1400 SF home, Bi Level & have cooled our house with two large window units..I've put off installing central a/c until now.I have natural gas heating ductwork already in the house...My sinus are killing me with the window a/c blowing on me..lol!!
I have a chance to buy a used home a/c unit for a great price..My question is: what is a good brand? I will list some of the units for sale by me..could you suggest or comment what would be the best deal.Mty neighbor is an electrical & would install the wiring for me...I used to recharge auto a/c units, but I know home a/c are different..thanks a million!! RT

#1.) GoodMan Model # CK18-1B 10 SEER AC unit. Have the 24"x24" pad and A coil for on top of furance along with the insulated copper tubing. Great running unit have not used much as house is in the shade. Replaced with a Heat Pump. Live by Cambridge and work in Mounds View can meet around either if interested. $250.00 sounds too cheap..lol

2.) Rudd 3 Ton Central Air Conditioning Unit USED Works great - Selling because I no longer need, I have installed geothermal heating and cooling system! asking $800.00

3.) Rudd- 6 or 7 year old 2 ton central air unit with the A-Coil. Works very well. $350.00

4.) I have a couple used Bryant and lennox central A/C unit.
These units are in perfect working order and mfd. in 2000's-
2 ton , 2.5 ton 10 and 13SEER rating $350.00

4.) Bryan Central A/C with Coil. less than a year old barely used. 13 Seer, 4 ton unit with matching A coil. Model # 113ANA048-E, R410 A refigerant $800.00

5.) Professionally removed York air conditioning condenser for sale. This unit is a 2.5 ton, R-22 condenser, full of refrigerant, well maintained and it works like a champ. The unit was removed because an addition was built on the house and a unit with more capacity was needed. Feel free to give me a call to set up a time to see it. Also if you need someone to install it for you I can do that as well. $250.00
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RD i am licensed A/c guy in texas 24 yrs in the field

please save your self grief and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

hire a company to SIZE the correct unit for your home oversized no good same as undersized.

your current duct system may not be designed to handle the volume of a/c air etc

way too many variables. get 3 quotes

equipment is all the same the all cool or heat

find someone who knows how to install it and warranty it this is the key

a one man or few person company is the best they have the most experience than a huge company with 2 yr installers who get paid on friday no matter what ( they dont give a @#!@!)

good luck
Old 09-15-2009, 09:07 PM

^^^What Slice said!!!

Do not try to save yourself any money when it comes to HVAC in your home by purchasing used equipment.

It doesn't work that way, unfortunately...

Just because you have a furnace and some duct work doesn't mean slapping an evaporator coil on top of the furnace and putting a condensing unit on a pad outside the house means you will have central air that works great...sorry!

I don't know where you are located, but find a reputable company that stands behind their work and will answer the phone, not if, but WHEN, you have trouble!
Old 09-15-2009, 09:36 PM

You must have someone run a "Manual J" heat load calculation on your home first. If you oversize the unit it will not dehumidify to a comfortable level. If you under size the unit it will not cool during high heat loads.
Someone that knows air flow needs to see what volume your existing ducts can flow. Also see if your furnace has a multi speed motor with a higher speed for cooling.
Here, where I live, used units are almost worthless. I have scrapped many perfectly good units because no body wants them. I would'nt offer more than $200.00 to $300.00 for a used system, and then only if you are comfortable working on them or have a close friend that does HVAC work.
Brand is not important, quality of the install is.
If it matters I've been in the refrigeration industry over 30 years.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good response! thanks for the heads up and info !!