Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Hemi-or Cummins???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hemi-or Cummins???

HI everybody, I would like to start of by saying that I am really impressed with the amount of people that have helped me find out all the information I was needing to find the right Dodge truck for me. I have still not come to a final decision, about what kind of vehicle I am going to purchase. It is a toss up between 3 reall cool vehicles. I really like the Pontiac Soltice, the Saturn Sky (But of course those are cars). If I decide to buy a truck I will definately go with the Dodge Laramie in either Electric Blue Pearl or in Brialliant Black Crystal Pearl. But I see that the Dodge Laramie 07 model has the option of having the 5.7 L. Hemi or the 5.9 L. Cummins. Any suggestions about the difference between performance between the 2. We already have a truck, we own a Chevrolet 3/4 ton diesel. It is my husbands truck, and we live 22 kilometres from town. So I am looking for a vehicle for myself for everyday things. I love my sports cars, and I love the horsepower behind them. I was originally looking at buying a older Dodge, thinking that a brand new one would cost well over $60,000. Since a neighbour of our just bought a new truck and he has almost $70,000 into it. But, after visiting a Dodge site where you get to build your own truck, and see what the costs would be. The Dodge's are not nearly as expense as I originally thought. And so I would probably buy new.Talk to you all later.

Last edited by Mini_Donkeys; 04-24-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Needing more info.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Chapter President

Um yeah... Hemi vs Cummins has been talked to death around here. No offense, but try a search.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want a Hemi, get the car (300C/Magnum/Charger). 3/4 ton truck, get the Cummins.
Or do what I did, get both!

MikeyB
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 AM

Ya this is a DIESEL websight. plus you can't buy the HP for that junk hemi
Old 04-24-2007, 08:13 AM

Is this a real question? There is no comparison........Get the Cummins. It will be worth it for the resale if nothing else.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 AM

On this site the consensus is pretty much going to be Cummins.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you are looking at cars, you dont need a truck. If you want a truck and dont need one go gasser. Unless you work your truck hard you really dont need a diesel. And if you have never owned a diesel truck go drive one, you will either love it or hate it. Theirs no real middle ground a diesel truck is a completly different monster than a gasser.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Banned

lets see,
diesel= improved fuel economy, MUCH higher torque, will accelerate on the hills towing, 3 times the engine life, just sounds cool.
hemi= weak, poor fuel mileage, will slow down on hills towing, less engine life, some clown at a gas station will ask you "that thing got a hemi?"

there is no comparison between any gas engine and a modern diesel in regards to towing. If you are only pulling a 17' bass boat or a pop up tent trailer, you will be fine with a gasser. You want longetivity, economy, pulling power; get the diesel.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It depends. If you don't need a truck then don't get one. The fuel economy is not near as good as a car diesel or not. If you are looking at cars it seems that you don't need a truck. Take your time and make your decision carefully.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 PM
Banned

After reading all 6 of your posts, I apologize for being frank, but I honestly have to wonder if you are serious or just a troll in need of attention.

You say that you live on a farm where it gets 40-50 below 0 and snows a lot. How is a Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky going to help you in those conditions? You have also said that you often tow big loads. What are you using to do that now? And again, why the Pontiac and Saturn for that need? And before you couldn't afford a new truck but now you can? Just adds to the confusion.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
On this site the consensus for what engine should I get in my new truck is pretty much going to be Cummins.
t-boe- Your comment, with my addition, should be a Stickey or incorporated into the DTR logo. I guess the understating, flat tone of it was what cracked me up!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cummins....no question. I had gassers up until my last real truck. I'll never go back to gas.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:49 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean that you didn't know that the 24 valve Cummins was a dual overhead cam hemi?
That's what the last salesman I talked to said. And you know they have all the inside info.

Shortround out
Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MikeyB
If you want a Hemi, get the car (300C/Magnum/Charger). 3/4 ton truck, get the Cummins.
Or do what I did, get both!

MikeyB
That would be sweet.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:35 PM

Cummins. Hands Down.

Quick Reply: Hemi-or Cummins???